MPI joke low interest winter tires......

bb1

I know right?  I kept half hearing about this on the radio, and finally went to the site thinking there was a discount, and all it is is them basically loaning you the money.  WTF is that?  MPI is nothing but a friggen monopoly.  Sucks that we can't have more car insurance providers like in the US so our rates could come down.  WHY IS CANADA SO EXPENSIVE!!??!?!

I have to be honest.  Im glad MPI isnt providing any sort of subsidy for winter tires.  If they wanted to provide a rate reduction for those that have tires, well I guess that would be up to their internal numbers to show a reduction in claims for cars with winter tires.  I assume they dont have numbers that bear that out.

I know right?  I kept half hearing about this on the radio, and finally went to the site thinking there was a discount, and all it is is them basically loaning you the money.  WTF is that?  MPI is nothing but a friggen monopoly.  Sucks that we can't have more car insurance providers like in the US so our rates could come down.  WHY IS CANADA SO EXPENSIVE!!??!?!

MPI gives me far better rates than the company that I work for (that sells auto insurance in the US). Not sure where this myth comes from.

MPI gives me far better rates than the company that I work for (that sells auto insurance in the US). Not sure where this myth comes from.

It really all depends. I don't know what MPI charges anymore but I know when I moved to Alberta being an under 25 male I got hammered on my rates. Hit 25 though and it's not so bad with a clean record. 

I think the issue with MPI is that they seem to turn a pretty healthy profit, they could probably stand to lower their rates. A lot of people don't really like to see crown corporations earning a profit would rather see discounted rates. 

It really all depends. I don't know what MPI charges anymore but I know when I moved to Alberta being an under 25 male I got hammered on my rates. Hit 25 though and it's not so bad with a clean record. 

I think the issue with MPI is that they seem to turn a pretty healthy profit, they could probably stand to lower their rates. A lot of people don't really like to see crown corporations earning a profit would rather see discounted rates. 

Yea this is the big thing, MPI doesn't adjust rates based on age (except indirectly via merit points). As a 20-something, I'm paying a little over 1k a year for my 2012 car with a $200 deductible. I'd be paying quite a bit more to a private insurer.

Yea this is the big thing, MPI doesn't adjust rates based on age (except indirectly via merit points). As a 20-something, I'm paying a little over 1k a month for my 2012 car with a $200 deductible. I'd be paying quite a bit more to a private insurer.

A little over 1k a month??? That can't be right...

I absolutely agree that MPI doesn't do enough to lower rates. That's the issue. As the public insurer they *should* charge rates only enough to break even. Of course they need to plan for unforeseen issues. But when they have profits and rainy day funds they should be lowering rates not investing the money in all sorts of things and advertising?? They're a monopoly. .

It's actually pretty sad when you go to an event and the bjggest sponsors are mpi, liquor and lotteries, recycle everywhere, hydro, peak of the market and the list goes on and on. we're really getting jobbed but I guess that is a different discussion.

Or the Winnipeg Parking Authority. That one always gets me.

I know in Alberta you have to prove you have insurance to register your car but have they changed the rule so that your registration can only be for the same length of time as your insurance. When I lived in Calgary years ago I was rear-ended at a red light by a guy whose car was registered for a year but his insurance had only been for 3 months so he was uninsured at the time he hit me.

Because my friend that lives in Wisconsin told me his rates that he pays for his car and his motorcycle.  It's no myth.