Open it Up

BigBlue

Somebody said last night "we opened it up" in the 4th quarter (the types of plays we called) .... and what a difference that made

Thats what has been bugging me: our tentative conservative don't-turn-the-ball-over style in the early part of our last few games .... thats on MB & maybe MOS

We just need to turn our 4th quarter style into our all game style

MB's temperment and habitual disposition?

Lets open it up to Willey the gunslinger? It might work ....

I think playcalling is an easy target.  Let me be clear: I have questions about it like everyone else, but I think Bellefeuille has us on the right track.  On each play there's 30,000 people in the stands that each have their own idea on what the call should be and then there's everyone else at home too.  Some of the success in the second half was a result of better execution by the players.  

The big difference in the fourth is that our OL opened holes and Grigsby hit the line with speed... Montreal had to step back a bit on defence

Montreal started playing way more aggressive and lining their front seven and sometimes safety right on the line in the 4th.  Way easier to run block against that.  When Grigsby hit the hole, he was in the 3rd level.

Not sure how Willy getting more accurate and receivers catching the ball counts as "opening it up".  You complain about the playcalling like "catch it and then fumble" was a play we called.  Yeah, we should take the "catch it and then fumble" play out of our playbook.  I agree on that.

Opening it up is about throwing more intermediate passes and a few more bombs .... its different than all this short passing and running up the gut too frequently ... nothing to do with passing skills or execution .... if you won't go downfield with your passes the D just starts creeping up giving us less and less room to maneuver and run that short stuff ... not hard to understand is it?

Not sure how Willy getting more accurate and receivers catching the ball counts as "opening it up".  You complain about the playcalling like "catch it and then fumble" was a play we called.  Yeah, we should take the "catch it and then fumble" play out of our playbook.  I agree on that.

Opening it up is about throwing more intermediate passes and a few more bombs .... its different than all this short passing and running up the gut too frequently ... nothing to do with passing skills or execution .... if you won't go downfield with your passes the D just starts creeping up giving us less and less room to maneuver and run that short stuff ... not hard to understand is it?

Well what I got from it was we ARE opening it up.. We lead the league in opening it up lol.. But when we don't execute properly with the dropsies and the fumblitis then they don't show up on the sheet or in people's memory banks apparently.. Could go for it more often but then you gotta balance the risk/reward,right? Willys served up a few.. But again, we lead the league in big plays..

Well what I got from it was we ARE opening it up.. We lead the league in opening it up lol.. But when we don't execute properly with the dropsies and the fumblitis then they don't show up on the sheet or in people's memory banks apparently.. Could go for it more often but then you gotta balance the risk/reward,right? Willys served up a few.. But again, we lead the league in big plays..

"

Well what I got from it was we ARE opening it up.. " I don't think so .... way to much dinnk and dunk ... too much short stuff ,,, to much straight up the gut and not enough intermediate 15 yard passes on 1st down .... yes we hack it 30+ yards downfield once and a while but that's all the D has to worry about ... meanwhile D's have no problem creeping in on our expected short game

Edited by BigBlue

Somebody said last night "we opened it up" in the 4th quarter (the types of plays we called) .... and what a difference that made

Thats what has been bugging me: our tentative conservative don't-turn-the-ball-over style in the early part of our last few games .... thats on MB & maybe MOS

This year in the CFL has been the year of the defence.  Offences need to be more responsible, not turn the ball over and practice some ball control offence through running games.  "Gun-Slinging", while enjoyable to watch, is rarely successful in the modern era.

This year in the CFL has been the year of the defence.  Offences need to be more responsible, not turn the ball over and practice some ball control offence through running games.  "Gun-Slinging", while enjoyable to watch, is rarely successful in the modern era.

Throwing the ball 15-20 yards downfield is no riskier than throwing a wide side flat pass ... in fact there will be less pick-sixes ... remember that strategy of spreading out the Defense?

We need a mix of passing plays not just all 10 yards or less with the odd bomb thrown in

I dunno if I agree with that. You can be a gun slinger without being careless with the ball. I mean what's really the difference between an interception 40 yards downfield and a punt? 

This is only the year of the defense because of circumstances I believe. Too many teams with new qbs means things are progressing really slowly. 

Willy said the opposite they went to a lot more of there base packages simpler plays in the forth quarter.

I heard that too. Bottom line = execution

A coaches favorite line to explain why things aren't working as good as they could. Sometimes it's used to deflect attention away from the system being used.