Why is Washington still returning punts?

gbill2004

When I saw him back there I said to every one sitting around me to watch that he doesn't fumble. And when he fumbled, I lost it. I no longer blame Washington for these fumbles; I blame the coaching staff for continuing to put him out there. His career as a returner must end now. Forever.

Forever, amen!

Keith McCullough ‏@keithsportsnews 30m

Asked O'Shea if Demond Washington would return kicks again, he said yes. Told me 'Demond Washington is probably the best athlete we have'.

I really hope this is just O'Shea not wanting to publicly throw Washington under the bus. I might call into the CJOB coaches show this week and respectfully challenge O'Shea on this; this madness with Washington on returns has to stop. Don't quote me on these numbers, but based on my recollection, Washington has 4 returns this year; one for a TD and three for fumbles.

Asked O'Shea if Demond Washington would return kicks again, he said yes. Told me 'Demond Washington is probably the best athlete we have'.

I really hope this is just O'Shea not wanting to publicly throw Washington under the bus. I might call into the CJOB coaches show this week and respectfully challenge O'Shea on this; this madness with Washington on returns has to stop. Don't quote me on these numbers, but based on my recollection, Washington has 4 returns this year; one for a TD and three for fumbles.

Please do. I'd be curious to hear his response. Unfortunately the next show isn't until Wednesday, the day after the Argos game.

Does anyone else recall when Tim Burke said that he would never return kicks for us again? I'd hate to see us go through that debacle again. With that being said, although I used to be a fan of Washington returning punts, it's clear that he can't hang onto the ball and should only be used as a desperation option.

He only returned one punt today and it was because Woods was shaken up, I believe. But I agree that his days as a returner are probably done at this point.

Somebody has to take Woods aside and convince him not to be a pile driver.  No other returner in the league subjects themselves to the kind of shots Woods takes and he brings it on himself by running headlong into the tacklers like a little ram.  He didn't make it through last year with that style and I can't see him lasting this year either.  He's a valuable component of the team and he'll be far more effective if he can stay healthy throughout the season. 

It would be a shame to lose a defender of Washington's caliber over missteps in the return game.

Well, I was just talking about the return game...

Then again, not sure we miss a beat if Johnson moves into Washington's spot and Suber or Markett are activated.  We are pretty deep at DB this year.

It would be a shame to lose a defender of Washington's caliber over missteps in the return game.

Then again, not sure we miss a beat if Johnson moves into Washington's spot and Suber or Markett are activated.  We are pretty deep at DB this year.

I don't see any conceivable reason why we would take Washington off of defense because he's struggling returning. Please explain this logic to me. Do people just go bat **** crazy after a loss?

I don't see any conceivable reason why we would take Washington off of defense because he's struggling returning. Please explain this logic to me. Do people just go bat **** crazy after a loss?

So, I guess you missed the part where I said 'I was just talking about the return game'...  as in one of the two lines in the post.

So, I guess you missed the part where I said 'I was just talking about the return game'...  as in one of the two lines in the post.

No but I did see the part where you suggested that Suber and Markett are on the same level as Washington. 

I think blaming washington is masking other issues, to be honest, we had 5 turnovers tonight and washingtons was almost caused by his own player... the oline struggled but with all that being said, since this thread is about Demond, i'd hope that his days returning kicks are over, he's a great DB though.

No but I did see the part where you suggested that Suber and Markett are on the same level as Washington. 

Actually, I was suggesting that Johnson is as good or better than Washington.  But I do think Suber and Markett are very good DBs as well.

Demond is one of the best tacklers on the team, he is very good at coverage too, I'd rank our Db's 1. Randle 2. Washington 3. Johnson 4. Bucknor.

Washington isn't a problem on defence, actually he's a guy who you notice lots on defence and it's not cuz he's being beat, it's cuz he's always the guy making tackles for losses. 

Floyd seems to have always had an issue with Washington for some reason and just can't let it go.

Why is washington taking heat anyways when Willy threw 3 picks and our run game was non existent and our oline sucked? 

You know what, Our D kept us in this game, Sasks offence really did nothing all game, It was our own mistakes that cost us. To blame one guy or to pile on washington right now is being ridiculous. 

Demond is one of the best tacklers on the team, he is very good at coverage too, I'd rank our Db's 1. Randle 2. Washington 3. Johnson 4. Bucknor.

Washington isn't a problem on defence, actually he's a guy who you notice lots on defence and it's not cuz he's being beat, it's cuz he's always the guy making tackles for losses. 

Floyd seems to have always had an issue with Washington for some reason and just can't let it go.

Why is washington taking heat anyways when Willy threw 3 picks and our run game was non existent and our oline sucked? 

You know what, Our D kept us in this game, Sasks offence really did nothing all game, It was our own mistakes that cost us. To blame one guy or to pile on washington right now is being ridiculous. 

So like, you do realize that I suggested Washington should lose his return job and AKAChip thought I was suggesting we cut him...

Nice rant though.

So like, you do realize that I suggested Washington should lose his return job and AKAChip thought I was suggesting we cut him...

Nice rant though.

Ahh i see, can't blame AKAChip for coming to that conclusion seeing as how you crap on washington every chance you get. 

Okey dokey.

And its 1. Randle  2. Leggett  3. Johnson 4. Washington 5. Bucknor

Although I thought Bucknor played really well tonight, like outstanding actually.

Keep hating on Demond the db all you want, it's really just a joke at this point with you and your dislike of washington. Not sure what the guy did to you but.... whatever it was, you need to let it go. Seriously man, what did he do to you? You have disliked him for really no apparent or logical reason for as long as i've been posting here. I'm done with this topic now though, it's been beaten to death already.