Nice to see those "full" stadiums ...

IC Khari

What's sad though is that if the Lions make it to the Grey Cup again this year, BC Place will be full of fake fans decked out in Lions gear that won't have seen a regular season game in person or on TV all season. I saw it in 2011 and it was just pathetic. Most of the "Lion" fans there couldn't name any other player other than maybe Lulay or Geroy.

The CFL overcharges for single game tickets & fans don't want to pay inflated prices on game day. Especially when every game home & away are televised. The problem is with teams themselves. In Calgary here, the walk up crowd is non existent even though season ticket sales are up over 2013. 

The CFL overcharges for single game tickets & fans don't want to pay inflated prices on game day. Especially when every game home & away are televised. The problem is with teams themselves. In Calgary here, the walk up crowd is non existent even though season ticket sales are up over 2013. 

Two words: Local Blackout.

Two words: Local Blackout.

Yeah is there a reason that blackouts were lifted? I talked to people on Saturday in Vancouver about the low attendance and they just shrugged and said "I just watched it on TV". So at some point there's going to be only 10,000 people showing up for games as everyone sits at home? I have to say that there is nothing like a game in person, even in a morgue like BC Place with it less than half full.

Hey, to sit on the 20 yard line at McMahon in Section C: $86.50 plus GST. No wonder the Stamps are lucky to get 26,000 on Game Day. To me, it's not that there aren't fans wanting to come to the game, the question is why would they for the privilege to pay ticket prices like that? This is a league wide problem.

Hey, to sit on the 20 yard line at McMahon in Section C: $86.50 plus GST. No wonder the Stamps are lucky to get 26,000 on Game Day. To me, it's not that there aren't fans wanting to come to the game, the question is why would they for the privilege to pay ticket prices like that? This is a league wide problem.

Our tickets for the Lions game were $30 a pop. We were sitting in the Family zone on the second tier. It was actually pretty full. There are no bad seats in that barn. Too bad they can't get more people out. It just pisses me off. Vancouver sucks.

Our tickets for the Lions game were $30 a pop. We were sitting in the Family zone on the second tier. It was actually pretty full. There are no bad seats in that barn. Too bad they can't get more people out. It just pisses me off. Vancouver sucks.

Same in Edmonton, Calgary & Toronto.  Can't sell out a 25,000 seat stadium in Montreal. We'll see how long the honeymoon lasts in Hamilton when they get into their new place. You'd think someone at the CFL HO would clue in & say we have a problem & what can we do about it? 

Same in Edmonton, Calgary & Toronto.  Can't sell out a 25,000 seat stadium in Montreal. We'll see how long the honeymoon lasts in Hamilton when they get into their new place. You'd think someone at the CFL HO would clue in & say we have a problem & what can we do about it?

Other than lowering ticket prices not sure what you can do about it. And that just means fuller stands but the gate revenue stays the same. What we need is some inter-generational attendance, fathers taking sons and daughters, grandparents taking grandkids to games, so the kids can appreciate seeing a game live. In the bigger centers, all you seem to have are hipsters and yuppies, none of whom want to participate in anything unless it is cool or hip. The CFL isn't cool or hip right now in Vancouver or Toronto.

A lot of sports are seeing declines in interest. Golf is really going downhill. Kids would rather just sit at home playing video games then going outside and playing or watching a sport. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFEYC4Z44v0

Yeah is there a reason that blackouts were lifted?

Yes.  The industry of sports figured out how to monetize television broadcasts, led by the NFL.  It's worth more to have the skyrocketing rights fees and eyeballs for advertising than the couple thousand people (which could be less or more depending on the city) who might choose to go to a game if they can't watch it on TV.

IMO, several teams are missing an opportunity to get more butts in seats.  Bombers are a prime example.  Those corner endzone seats that never sell should go for $10-$15.  Get people in the building, get them buying concessions and merchandise, maybe even provide a good enough experience that someone comes back in a more expensive seat.  Better to sell that seat for $10 than have it sit empty for 9 games.

Yes. The industry of sports figured out how to monetize television broadcasts, led by the NFL. It's worth more to have the skyrocketing rights fees and eyeballs for advertising than the couple thousand people (which could be less or more depending on the city) who might choose to go to a game if they can't watch it on TV.

IMO, several teams are missing an opportunity to get more butts in seats. Bombers are a prime example. Those corner endzone seats that never sell should go for $10-$15. Get people in the building, get them buying concessions and merchandise, maybe even provide a good enough experience that someone comes back in a more expensive seat. Better to sell that seat for $10 than have it sit empty for 9 games.

i agree.. I remember when i was in middle school, bombers gave out a crapton of free tickets to schools and we would have boatloads of kids going to watch.. Why hasnt the team reconsidered that or cheaper ticket options now instead of when attendence becomes a bigger problem.. Proactive, not reactive..

I think what you meant is.... BC SUCKS

Golf, skiing, it's the same parasites exploiting the sport  to make money off of developing the land and unfortunately the sport becomes secondary to the business.  A round of golf is worth $25 not $85 IMO.

They also built a ridiculous number of golf courses everytime it was somewhat popular.  And really, golf will always be a niche sport.  It takes a long time and a lot of practice to even be moderately good at it, and you have to spend 3-4-5 hours at a time to play a round.  I kind of fear that indoor soccer will be the golf of this generation, build a bunch of facilities and have no demand for them in 20-30 years.  At least those indoor soccer facilities can be repurposed.

Yes.  The industry of sports figured out how to monetize television broadcasts, led by the NFL.  It's worth more to have the skyrocketing rights fees and eyeballs for advertising than the couple thousand people (which could be less or more depending on the city) who might choose to go to a game if they can't watch it on TV.

IMO, several teams are missing an opportunity to get more butts in seats.  Bombers are a prime example.  Those corner endzone seats that never sell should go for $10-$15.  Get people in the building, get them buying concessions and merchandise, maybe even provide a good enough experience that someone comes back in a more expensive seat.  Better to sell that seat for $10 than have it sit empty for 9 games.

It's not that simple. If you sell Section 101 and 102 for $10 you can't sell Section 104 for $86. And that section is mostly full. Imagine those seats sitting empty at $86, while the corners were full at $10? That would cost a lot of dough spread over 10 games.

They could finesse their price structure a bit. Maybe make the very corner P4s into P5s or something like that. They should probably entirely switch the price points on P5s and P6s too.

Anyway, the idea isn't to sell the most tickets you can. It's to create the most revenue. Giving away or practically giving away your product hasn't proven to be a long term successful strategy in pro sports.

I think what you meant is.... BC SUCKS

When you live in BC, especially in the Interior, you get a different perspective. The lower mainland SUCKS!! BC as a whole really has a lot going for it, if we could just start exporting all of the hippies and life-long welfare cases, we'd really be somewhere.

Yeah disappointing crowd in B.C. We could have a Geroy Simon Night here and probably have better attendance. There's an idea! Should we run with it and embarrass the attendance for that game? Bless the fans who showed up. No knocking them.

As for the empty stands, those are the camera side seats right? So they probably do not sell em.

Maybe HAM should play in the other CFL cities rather then the 5k McMaster. Skydome busy that day? Isn't that closer then McMaster? You know the CFL is gonna slip the Cats some cash this year.

Regarding TSN blackouts, they must be paying CFL teams to have them lifted. I cannot think of any other valid reason.

Yeah disappointing crowd in B.C. We could have a Geroy Simon Night here and probably have better attendance. There's an idea! Should we run with it and embarrass the attendance for that game?

Embarrass who? No one in BC would care. You have to have some pride in your team to give a crap about stuff like that. Now if you said no one could drink a latte or protest a pipeline until they attended a Lions game you'd have a packed house all season.

Yeah disappointing crowd in B.C. We could have a Geroy Simon Night here and probably have better attendance. There's an idea! Should we run with it and embarrass the attendance for that game? Bless the fans who showed up. No knocking them.

As for the empty stands, those are the camera side seats right? So they probably do not sell em.

Maybe HAM should play in the other CFL cities rather then the 5k McMaster. Skydome busy that day? Isn't that closer then McMaster? You know the CFL is gonna slip the Cats some cash this year.

Regarding TSN blackouts, they must be paying CFL teams to have them lifted. I cannot think of any other valid reason.

The Ticats are getting $1 million from the city for each game not played at THF. They'll be fine.

Yeah disappointing crowd in B.C. We could have a Geroy Simon Night here and probably have better attendance. There's an idea! Should we run with it and embarrass the attendance for that game?

Embarrass who? No one in BC would care. You have to have some pride in your team to give a crap about stuff like that. Now if you said no one could drink a latte or protest a pipeline until they attended a Lions game you'd have a packed house all season.

You should see the wacky left wing enviros latch onto a new subject. Two protesters chained themselves to the track at the Calgary Stampede to protest the treatment of the horses during the Chucks. And every Letter To The Editor protesting the rodeo was from BC. 

The Ticats are getting $1 million from the city for each game not played at THF. They'll be fine.

Nice!