CAL v EDM

He's a good coach no question, but that call there was stupid. Your D is doing a great job stopping the Calgary offense why even take the risk of giving them the ball in the scoring zone? I'd have shown some faith in the unit that has been your best on the year AINEC and punted and made Calgary earn any points they get. 

I thought the dumbest call was in the second half, when the Esks could hang on to the ball, had second and short, but went shot gun, telegraphed they were passing, and Reilly got sacked and subsequently had to punt. I liked the fake punt call - they were only stopped one half yard short and from the replay I saw I thought it was a bad spot (on the big screen as I was at the game). 

On a sadder note, the 50/50 draw went up to over $349,000. Yes, that's correct. If you heard boo's in the crowd half way through the fourth, it was the announcement that the 50/50 would not be drawn at the game due to the overwhelming demand. Of the 40k + in attendance, my guess is about 15k saw the whole game (those of us who got our 50/50's early). The rest saw half a game if they were lucky the 50/50 was lined up everywhere. People waited over an hour to buy their 100 bucks worth of tickets.

And no, yours truly didn't win. I would have donated some of it to the winner of the contest here at the end of the year too - an Eskimo Jersey with Chris Jones' name on the back - so it could be burned in effigy at a fugure playoff game between the two teams in Wpg. Oh well :(

I thought the dumbest call was in the second half, when the Esks could hang on to the ball, had second and short, but went shot gun, telegraphed they were passing, and Reilly got sacked and subsequently had to punt. 

The call there is fine, the problem on that play was the QB. There are 2 things you can't do in that situation, take a sack or turn the ball over. The instant he realized it was going to take too long to get the play off he should have put the ball into the 2nd row. That's alllllll on Reilly.

I'd have to lay that one on the call... when you know you have a suspect OL and a QB that has some issues with checkdowns, going shotgun on second and short is a bad move.  Right now, Edmonton's playcalling is over-estimating Reilly's ability right now... he may grow into it though

going shotgun on second and short is a bad move. 

It's not though and here's why - As a play caller in that situation you're giving your QB a chance to make a play while trusting him not to make a poor decision. As a play caller you go into shotgun on second and inches with the thought that the WORST thing that's going to happen is you're going to be facing third and inches on the next play. If there's a play to be made on second down, make the throw. If not (which clearly there wasn't) you throw the ball away and take your sneak on third down and start over again. You do not under any circumstances take the sack, which was the result of Reilly hanging onto the ball to long. The play call was fine. The protection was good from the line. It was a very simple, basic football decision that Mike Reilly got wrong.

It's not though and here's why - As a play caller in that situation you're giving your QB a chance to make a play while trusting him not to make a poor decision. As a play caller you go into shotgun on second and inches with the thought that the WORST thing that's going to happen is you're going to be facing third and inches on the next play. If there's a play to be made on second down, make the throw. If not (which clearly there wasn't) you throw the ball away and take your sneak on third down and start over again. You do not under any circumstances take the sack, which was the result of Reilly hanging onto the ball to long. The play call was fine. The protection was good from the line. It was a very simple, basic football decision that Mike Reilly got wrong.

Hence why it's a bad call. Reilly has been struggling all year - even last week he didn't get 200 yards passing. Eskies Defense has been winning everything. At that point you get the first down, going into shotgun formation on 2nd and inches isn't fooling anyone. Not me, not the 80 year old guy sitting in front of me, and certainly not Hufnagel and the Calgary Stampeder Defense. Totally unnecessary risk (though I agree 100% he should have just chucked the ball out of bounds if the play wasn't there). 

I think Reilly's real weakness is that he's trying to win games on his own and often tries to make things happen when there's nothing there, forcing the play.  In this way he's none too bright and unlikely to reach the level of Ray or Lulay as a premium CFL QB.  This would explain his take no prisoners running style and his erratic throws into double coverage, he either puts immense pressure on himself to win games or he's carrying the entire load of the franchise and the fan-base on his shoulders.  I see too much Buck in him to think he will ever lead his team to a Grey Cup victory.

26-22 right? calgary got 7 on that silly turnover late in the first half, really dumb play in my opinion, not so bad if you are at your own 40 or 50 but in your own end zone? It's a dumb play call, don't care how close he was to getting it or not, fact is, he didn't get it, can talk about bad placement all you want but apparent on the tv replay, they got the call and spot right.. he was down where they marked him down, you mean 40,000 eskimo fans disagreed? no kidding.

But you lose by 4 and you give up 7 there instead of nothing? or maybe 3.. yeah it's a call that cost them the game for sure.

Theres being ballsy and then there's being just stupid, that play call to fake punt out of the endzone with 20 seconds to go in the half was stupid. 

Hence why it's a bad call. Reilly has been struggling all year - even last week he didn't get 200 yards passing. Eskies Defense has been winning everything. At that point you get the first down, going into shotgun formation on 2nd and inches isn't fooling anyone. Not me, not the 80 year old guy sitting in front of me, and certainly not Hufnagel and the Calgary Stampeder Defense. Totally unnecessary risk (though I agree 100% he should have just chucked the ball out of bounds if the play wasn't there). 

no it's not a bad call, it's bad execution by the qb. He takes the snap, he drops back he throws the ball. Either to his receiver who got open or if his receiver didn't get open out of bounds. More teams should be gambling like that on 2nd and inches. It's not about fooling anyone, it's about essentially having a free play as long as you don't do anything stupid. Either someone makes a play or you pitch the ball away and get your inches on 3rd down. 

Calgary Vs Edmonton -

Reilly definitely pulled a Jonesy.

How do you not know you have to get rid of the ball? Give your head a shake.

On second thought…don't, your head been shaken enough.

What's a Jonesy? 

It is, what will become known when any team pulls a boner move, such as what Edmonton tried in their end zone, in a tight game.

It even surpasses a Burkesy, which is just not doing anything...anything at all, that might help win a game.

Which looked like what both teams were trying to do last night....not do anything that might win the game.

Blocked punt for a TD? sure...here's one for you.

Turnover on downs at your own 32? sure...here's one for you.

17 points off of turnovers in the 1st half? why not? some more for you.

Fumbles, turn-over-on-downs like crazy, and another O'Dell Willis knock down of an interception.

And I'm still waiting to be impressed by Bo Levi Mitchell...124 yards passing?

Renaud can do that.

7 wins in a row to start the season... there should be an asterisk....he played a very predictable Burke-led defence last year and it was like cherry picking.

An asterisk like there should be for Rene Paredes with his FG consecutive streak.

You know, the one that included a blocked field goal attempt...that didn't count against him.

Every time they (Rod Black actually) mentions that...I shake my head.

And Reilly? Really? 

He is flat-lining or something.

Some of the decisions he is making are flat out Jyles-like.

A giant game between two stifling defences reduced to questionable calls and bone-headed decisions.

Should have ended in a tie.

no it's not a bad call, it's bad execution by the qb. He takes the snap, he drops back he throws the ball. Either to his receiver who got open or if his receiver didn't get open out of bounds. More teams should be gambling like that on 2nd and inches. It's not about fooling anyone, it's about essentially having a free play as long as you don't do anything stupid. Either someone makes a play or you pitch the ball away and get your inches on 3rd down. 

Where is the advantage? As has been said you're not fooling anyone! You go for the inches and you have a first down and start all over again. The game is all about getting first downs not getting sacked when you don't have to. He might get sacked on the next play for the reasons you state, but then it will be second down, not third from further back.

Where is the advantage? As has been said you're not fooling anyone! You go for the inches and you have a first down and start all over again. The game is all about getting first downs not getting sacked when you don't have to. He might get sacked on the next play for the reasons you state, but then it will be second down, not third from further back.

But if you avoid stupidity you get your first down on 3rd down anyway. What you are doing is you are hoping someone on the defence makes a mistake and you can exploit that for a big gain. If no one is making a mistake you just throw the ball away and take your first down on 3rd and inches. The only thing you don't do is turn the ball over or take a sack. That's all on the qb to do. 

1.  I'd have called a sneak on second and inches.

2.  Reilly didn't throw the ball away because he didn't see the guys behind him who sacked him, he only saw the guy in front of him.   You can't blame him for not having eyes in the back of his head.

3.  The sack is as much on the O line as it is on Reilly.  3 guys got to Reilly in the backfield.  He might be able to beat 1, maybe even 2, but 3 is impossible.

1.  I'd have called a sneak on second and inches.

2.  Reilly didn't throw the ball away because he didn't see the guys behind him who sacked him, he only saw the guy in front of him.   You can't blame him for not having eyes in the back of his head.

3.  The sack is as much on the O line as it is on Reilly.  3 guys got to Reilly in the backfield.  He might be able to beat 1, maybe even 2, but 3 is impossible.

Situational awareness. You either throw the ball right away or you throw it away right away. Doesn't matter if he seems the guys coming or not he held onto the ball too long for the situation he was in.

Actually yes you can blame Reilly on this basis - As I've said quarterbacks are taught to have a mental clock that the ball needs to be gone in a certain amount of time from the pocket which is exactly where Reilly was. As a QB you know that you obviously do not have eyes in the back of your head, and that your line can only block for so long, hence why the ball needs to be gone in a certain amount of time. It's not like the pressure got there right away, he had plenty of time to go through his progressions and throw it away. No QB can ever see 100 per cent of what he needs to see on a certain play, it's not physically possible. Quarterbacks are taught by coaches that the ball needs to be gone from the pocket in a certain amount of time. This really isn't difficult to understand, every coach teaches it. The play call was not bad. Considering the situation it was actually really good. What was bad was the execution because of the quarterback. That's not opinion, that is simply a fact. Anyone who has coached or played football on the offensive side will tell you the exact same thing. If anyone can't comprehend that they simply do not understand what they are watching, no offence intended.