Joe Mack's Legacy

IC Khari

Joe Mack's Legacy  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Joe Mack's tenure here produced what?

• Four years of futility
    • Some good things to build upon

You can't really evaluate a GMs performance simply on one aspect of the position. Hence the term General Manager. He was not a General and anything but a Manger except in areas he should have left to the coaching staff. Perhaps that is why he hired inexperienced HCs he could then control and micro manage.

But I thought Sleepy Joe Mack was off in the states somewhere not doing anything at all?  It's kind of funny how fan perception can change so quickly.

Player scouting & recruiting is one area of the job. Just one. looks like Kyle Walters did contracts.  Joe couldn't be bothered I guess.

I believe contracts and SMS management were also a part of Hodgkinson's duties going back to when he was first named assistant GM before Mack was hired.

I was a huge Joe Mack supporter and remain so. He made a mistake right off the bat by hiring Lapo. And he kept Lapo around as HC longer than he should have. But who was to know? Wouldve taken some unusual backbone to fire Lapo after we accidently backed into a GC appearance in 2011. But that is when Lapo shouldve been turfed, immediately after 2011 not almost 1/2 way thru 2012. Joe Mack made another mistake by not challenging Burke on the decision to allow Lapo's surrogate OC, Gary Crowton, who had no CFL experience, to run the offence coming into this season. That included Crowton's decision to cut both Brink and Elliott which probably wouldn't have occurred if they had dumped Crowton end of last year and gone with an OC with CFL experience. So Burke shouldve been challenged on that decision. Joe Mack also failed to fix the QB problem quickly enough for the mob-pandering BOD. So those are the glaring mistakes. The talent level on Joe Mack's Bombers is hugely better than whqat we had, and much better than the win-loss record shows. I can see why he was fired but I don't agree with it. The team was getting very close to turning things around.

You r correct Fan Girl. Hodgkinson was managing the SMS, and doing the contracts. The hilarious part of this is he was the forgotten man in all of this and the unknown soldier. It seems he got tossed aside by people who had no idea what it was he was actually doing. Perhaps part of Garth's grant plan for Duane Forde. It was Mack who didn't value and listen to the advise of Walter's, Hodgkinson and others regarding the draft and NIPs.

The Sun reported that Garrett got 10k to resign in the off season? Who in the right mind does that deal? A guy coming off surgery for a torn Achilles with nowhere to go gets handed 10k.......right up there with the big one Hefney got before he got cut too. Nice work...who done it?

Some players get bonuses when they sign. Usually they are healthy established vets that take part of their deal upfront. Imports getting signing bonuses at a significantly reduced tax rate as well. I'm not sure that Garrett was established vet and coming off a serious surgery it might have had a big element of risk associated with it.

When kooking at Macks overall w/l record, yes. Macks drafting was more successful than other gms (more of his picks on the roster). He may be considered a failure but there sre positives to build on.

No. More of his picks on the roster. But the team still failed horribly. Maybe his picks being on the roster had something to do with that........,,

It was something the team desperately needed. a decade + of trying to make those couple moves to win now, they needed someone to take a slow and steady approach. It cost a lot of good will for Mack and he didn't get the right coaches for that plan and in the end didn't work but it was something that the team needed to do. 

The napkin boy has been in Regina exactly the same amount of time. Can you see the difference in talent between the two teams? There's a lot more wrong with this team than just the coaches which by th way was his alone to fix. We didn't have a quarterback four years ago and we don't have one still and we will stay in a rut until we decide to pay the price for one. Kelly staked his future on Bishop and threw snake eyes. Mack did the same with Buck.

I really don't think you can have a good team if you only want to use rookies. Maybe that was Mack's problem, Not for me to say. He had a plan and the club gave him the time to execute that plan. Just did not work out and he was out of aces.

One stat I found was that before Joe Mack we had a losing record. With Joe Mack we had a losing record.

Fine but changing regimes every 3-4 years hasn't got us any closer to the GC either. I understand his record is the bottom line but I would have at least to the end of the season. If we didn't make the POs then can him. Canning him now doesn't do us any good in 2013, IMO.

What do you expect? The BOD keeps going for the cheap guy and they got what they paid for.  The last two GMs were Kelly & Mack. Would you have kept those guys? Let's get the repairing job starting  now because as things are we are just spinning our wheels.

This all goes back to Bauer when he canned Richie - contrary to Taman's wishes - because Smilin' Dave wasn't getting us a grey cup fast enough...  cue Jim Daley!  And on it goes...

I knew Taman didn't think Berry should be fired but didn't know he was against the Richie firing too. 

This all goes back to Bauer when he canned Richie - contrary to Taman's wishes - because Smilin' Dave wasn't getting us a grey cup fast enough...  cue Jim Daley!  And on it goes...

I knew Taman didn't think Berry should be fired but didn't know he was against the Richie firing too. 

Taman was Ritchie's sidekick - he's not going to turn around and fire him after one year as GM...  Look at Taman, if anything, he's too loyal...

Bauer was not a fan of Dave Ritchie, I remember that...  And Ritchie had this essentially bullet-proof contract that he negotiated post-Reinbold - like automatic extensions or something...  Bauer wanted to install his own crew from Day One pretty much and just couldn't...  2005 and beyond, this is more of a Lyle Bauer team than anything else - judging by Taman's work in Sask right now, I wouldn't even be surprised if Lyle influenced some of the QB prospect trades and such.

Bottom line is that Bauer flushed a good coach/GM and decent teams with some holes in 2005 and then again, in 2009...  for 'his' guys - first Daley and Kelly...

There is a total pattern - Bauer puts pressure on his GM/Staff... these guys hold onto vets too long under pressure, Bauer doesn't see results and blows everything up for no real reason.

Let's hope Miller has some better football sense.

Taman was Ritchie's sidekick - he's not going to turn around and fire him after one year as GM...  Look at Taman, if anything, he's too loyal...

Bauer was not a fan of Dave Ritchie, I remember that...  And Ritchie had this essentially bullet-proof contract that he negotiated post-Reinbold - like automatic extensions or something...  Bauer wanted to install his own crew from Day One pretty much and just couldn't...  2005 and beyond, this is more of a Lyle Bauer team than anything else - judging by Taman's work in Sask right now, I wouldn't even be surprised if Lyle influenced some of the QB prospect trades and such.

Bottom line is that Bauer flushed a good coach/GM and decent teams with some holes in 2005 and then again, in 2009...  for 'his' guys - first Daley and Kelly...

There is a total pattern - Bauer puts pressure on his GM/Staff... these guys hold onto vets too long under pressure, Bauer doesn't see results and blows everything up for no real reason.

Let's hope Miller has some better football sense.

Bauer, the great football executive. What a joke.

Yeah the reason Bauer and Ritchie were at odds cause Dave Ritchie was a stubborn old cuss who wanted to run the team his way... and Lyle Bauer is a stubborn old cuss who wanted the team run his way. 

But I'm sure that Ritchie had some crazy contract - like if he had a winning season, he got an automatic extension - that drove Bauer nuts.... that's why when we had a slow start, Bauer pounced... am I wrong?

Yeah the reason Bauer and Ritchie were at odds cause Dave Ritchie was a stubborn old cuss who wanted to run the team his way... and Lyle Bauer is a stubborn old cuss who wanted the team run his way. 

But I'm sure that Ritchie had some crazy contract - like if he had a winning season, he got an automatic extension - that drove Bauer nuts.... that's why when we had a slow start, Bauer pounced... am I wrong?

Ritchie was the last decent head coach we had & he wouldn't take any guff from Bauer. He knew how to win. Everyone since just knows how to lose.