Joe Mack's Legacy

IC Khari

Joe Mack's Legacy  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Joe Mack's tenure here produced what?

• Four years of futility
    • Some good things to build upon

Kills me his attitude towards the OL. Could have drafted Norman or Jones. There's young NI center. Has to be a better tackle than Boatman. There's two spots improved. Hell could have traded for Steve Mydleton this year, who's a better guard than what we have. 3 spots improved.

Well, I wouldn't be so complimentary towards Myddleton. He had a very good year in 2010 & then the last 2 seasons his play deteriorated to the point he was on the bench. Big question is why he never built on that one strong season. With Winnipeg, he'd just be another Steve Morley.

Kills me his attitude towards the OL. Could have drafted Norman or Jones. There's young NI center. Has to be a better tackle than Boatman. There's two spots improved. Hell could have traded for Steve Mydleton this year, who's a better guard than what we have. 3 spots improved.

The HAM trade for Wojt was a real killer for me...  how that guy was available and we slept through it, I just don't know.

The HAM trade for Wojt was a real killer for me...  how that guy was available and we slept through it, I just don't know.

He's wasn't called Sleepy Joe for nothing.

Yeah the reason Bauer and Ritchie were at odds cause Dave Ritchie was a stubborn old cuss who wanted to run the team his way... and Lyle Bauer is a stubborn old cuss who wanted the team run his way. 

But I'm sure that Ritchie had some crazy contract - like if he had a winning season, he got an automatic extension - that drove Bauer nuts.... that's why when we had a slow start, Bauer pounced... am I wrong?

I think it was just that if in the first few years he hit a certain amount of wins an extension kicked it, it wasn't something in perpetuity or anything. Bauer jumped because Ritchie was hired before Bauer got there and they were two stubborn guys who were clashing. 

Not sure where all this junk about the relationship between Bauer and Ritchie got started? Someone please enlighten me. Ritchie did have an extension clause based on him meeting a certain number of wins. That 2001 team that lost in the Grey cup was a team of over achieves that was getting old and Ritchie hung on to too many vets.

People also need to realize that Ritchie was having heart issues and part of the reason he was let go then was for health issues he was hospitalized for. So all that speculation about their bad relationship is fiction and garbage.

If getting paid and getting let go because of health issues is a problem for you so be it. There are no sick days in pro sports.

Are you an actual CFL insider or an online pretender because some off the things you say claiming to be in the know.... Don't worry, I don't care who you are. You just made Bauer out to be an uncaring *******. 

The Bombers had a very good team in 2001. The only problem was they really didn't take the Stamps very seriously & thought they'd be easy pickings in that year's GC game. Trouble was, the Stamps had a veteran team that year, as well & didn't appreciate the disrespect even though they finished 8-10. Plenty of veterans left from their 1998 GC winning & 99 GC finalist teams.

The Bombers had a very good team in 2001. The only problem was they really didn't take the Stamps very seriously & thought they'd be easy pickings in that year's GC game. Trouble was, the Stamps had a veteran team that year, as well & didn't appreciate the disrespect even though they finished 8-10. Plenty of veterans left from their 1998 GC winning & 99 GC finalist teams.

We started over-thinking and rested our vets for the last couple games... lost all momentum...

Kills me his attitude towards the OL. Could have drafted Norman or Jones. 

In fairness every other team could have drafted either of those guys but didn't. 

What I don't understand though is how OL was a problem from the first day Mack got here... even in the first year, Mack didn't draft Greaves until the last round...  then we never seemed to give Dunn a chance at all... and Swiston who is naturally a tackle ended up slotted in as a guard...

Many chances to draft decent OL prospects... instead we end up stocked with NI Rec and Running Backs...  Mack just never seemed to have any focus or identity in the draft aside from 'going off the board'...

We just were not in a position to gamble on Mulumba this year but we did...  the guy already had an NFL contract!  Ridiculous.

Kills me his attitude towards the OL. Could have drafted Norman or Jones. 

In fairness every other team could have drafted either of those guys but didn't. 

What I don't understand though is how OL was a problem from the first day Mack got here... even in the first year, Mack didn't draft Greaves until the last round...  then we never seemed to give Dunn a chance at all... and Swiston who is naturally a tackle ended up slotted in as a guard...

Many chances to draft decent OL prospects... instead we end up stocked with NI Rec and Running Backs...  Mack just never seemed to have any focus or identity in the draft aside from 'going off the board'...

We just were not in a position to gamble on Mulumba this year but we did...  the guy already had an NFL contract!  Ridiculous.

Passing on the OL (Brent Jones) now with the Stamps may have been a huge mistake. The Stamps took him even though he said he was trying to get into med school at the U of R which didn't pan out. Thing is, he is from Weyburn. his parents have had Rider season tickets for years & he grew up a huge fan of the team. Does this sound familiar?? So, wonder where he ends up when Taman comes a callin' in 2 years time??

The drafting actually did get better while he was here...mainly because previous regimes left themselves only 3 picks to work with most of the time.

I haven't been a Mack supporter for pretty much the past year, but I think we need to be careful with the assumption that will things will get better now that he's gone.

I assumed we had good U.S. scouting in place under Mack. But when Shannon Boatman is the best we can do at the import RT position, then U.S. scouting was clearly not that great. 

Walters will run the CIS draft...but who's in charge of U.S. scouting?  What is being done to upgrade this area?

Until questions like that are answered...things are probably not going to get better.

I assumed we had good U.S. scouting in place under Mack. But when Shannon Boatman is the best we can do at the import RT position, then U.S. scouting was clearly not that great. 

and Boatman is one of those players cut adrift from another team that people scream they wanted Mack to sign too. Honestly though I want to see what the o-line looks like with a different guy coaching them. As much as I can tell from watching on TV I haven't seen DelMonaco make anyone better in that position in his time here. 

and Boatman is one of those players cut adrift from another team that people scream they wanted Mack to sign too. Honestly though I want to see what the o-line looks like with a different guy coaching them. As much as I can tell from watching on TV I haven't seen DelMonaco make anyone better in that position in his time here. 

Having had the chance to watch Calgary's OL (live) twice this year, I can say that there is an OL that dictates the flow of the game. Ours isn't close to doing that.

Having had the chance to watch Calgary's OL (live) twice this year, I can say that there is an OL that dictates the flow of the game. Ours isn't close to doing that.

And why can't ours? They're all big athletic guys (this was Macks preference for every position, big and athletic) so why aren't these big strong men able to simply move people out of the way? 

And why can't ours? They're all big athletic guys (this was Macks preference for every position, big and athletic) so why aren't these big strong men able to simply move people out of the way? 

His preference was big and athletic, but maybe they're just big. Boatman & Sorenson in particular don't look that fleet of foot to me.

I've read quotes Lawless got from other league coaches/execs that have said they think Delmonaco has done a standout job making our collection of OL look as good as they have. I don't know that I can argue with that. 4 out of 5 spots on our line could possibly be the worst in the league.

Joe Mack's legacy... from the freep:

'All this means the vets possibly most affected this week are those who have been around the longest: QB Buck Pierce, SB Terrence Edwards, PK Sando DeAngelis (9th year); OL Steve Morley (8th); CB Jovon Johnson, CB Brandon Stewart, OL Glenn January (7th) and LB Pierre Luc-Labbe (6th).'

There is our core of veteran leaders...  which basically means Edwards and January - both of which should not be the 'best' players on your roster at this point in their careers...

Cut Morley and Labbe please... maybe BStew and JJ too - might as well save some cash since there are no ticket sales