Depth Chart

@PentonKirk: @FasterFire Here's that #Bombers depth chart for you. Take it with a grain of salt, however. http://t.co/yaz9u00nBw

QB — Drew Willy, Max Hall, Brian Brohm, Robert Marve

RB — Will Ford, Nic Grigsby, Paris Cotton, Carl Volny, Kevin Smith, Errol Brooks

FB — Michel-Pierre Pontbriand, Carl Fitzgerald

WR — Mario Urrutia, Jason Barnes, Braylon Bell

SB — Nick Moore, Jaymar Johnson, C.J. Tarver

SB — Cory Watson, Julian Feoli-Gudino

SB — Clarence Denmark, Aaron Kelly, Donavon Kemp, Aaron Woods

WR — Rory Kohlert, Jordan Brescacin, Taylor Renaud

LT — Glenn January, Jarvis Jones, Paul Swiston

LG — Chris Greaves, Tyson Pencer, Jesse Peterson

C — Steve Morley, Quentin Saulsberry, Matthias Goossen

RG — Randy Richards, Chris Kowalczuk, Quinn Everett

RT — Pat Neufeld, Dan Knapp, Dale Stevenson

DE — Jason Vega, Greg Peach, Willie Moseley

DT — Ryan Lucas, Louie Richardson, Kashawn Fraser

DT — Bryant Turner, Jake Thomas, Zach Anderson

DE — Kenny Tate, Stafford Gatling, Louis Nzegwu

WLB — Desia Dunn, Kamaal McIlwain

MLB — Ejiro Kuale, Ian Wild, Graig Newman, Jesse Briggs, Aram Eisho

SAM — Korey Banks, Maurice Leggett, Stephon Morris

CB — Chris Randle, Marty Markett, Daivon Dumas

HB — Demond Washington, Brandon Hogan

S — Johnny Sears, Dan West, Matt Pierce, Teague Sherman

HB — Alex Suber, Don Unamba, Bruce Johnson

CB — Donovan Alexander, Matt Bucknor, Kris Robertson, Derek Jones

K/P — Lirim Hajrullahu, Mike Renaud, Brett Maher

LS — Sean Blake

Lots of weird stuff going on in that depth chart. Import at right guard with an NI at right tackle, Desia Dunn starting at WILL, Ryan Lucas starting at DT... obviously very preliminary but maybe gives a look at management's mindset heading into camp in regards to how they want to construct the roster.

Sears at safety, Canadian at field CB. Good call guys... can't remember the exact names that thought of that.

Absolutely hate Newman and Wild at MAC, But like the idea of Dunn at WILL. Really hoping Mathias shows enough to shift Morely back to RB so we only need one canuck on defence!

Lots of weird stuff going on in that depth chart. Import at right guard with an NI at right tackle, Desia Dunn starting at WILL, Ryan Lucas starting at DT... obviously very preliminary but maybe gives a look at management's mindset heading into camp in regards to how they want to construct the roster.

Zach Anderson 3rd on the chart... If Etch ends up cutting him I'm breaking out the pitch fork and torches

Zach Anderson 3rd on the chart... If Etch ends up cutting him I'm breaking out the pitch fork and torches

I noticed that too. Even if the ratio doesn't allow Anderson to start initially, I'm sure they will find a way to keep him around. He is way too talented to just throw away.

Anderson needs to be on the field as much as possible and they better not try and tell me he doesn't fit Etcheverry's idea of a DT because he's historically exactly what Etch has looked for.

That being said, I'm sure he will be. A day one depth chart means nothing lol

I noticed that too. Even if the ratio doesn't allow Anderson to start initially, I'm sure they will find a way to keep him around. He is way too talented to just throw away.

I agrre that he's way to talented, But with Etch you never know...

Overall I live the depth chart, only changes I'd make is putting Pencer at RG, let Everett develop behind Greaves. Still not crazy about the idea of having Morley and Kowalczuk on the roster, but I digress.

I'd also like to see Briggs and Newman have a shot at WILL, as well as seeing Thomas and Lucas fighting for one spot.

Things can and will easily change, so no point in looking too deep into anything just yet. I'm actually really excited for camp this season, significantly more so than last year and like the roster so far that Walters has built.

Sears at safety, Canadian at field CB. Good call guys... can't remember the exact names that thought of that.

Absolutely hate Newman and Wild at MAC, But like the idea of Dunn at WILL. Really hoping Mathias shows enough to shift Morely back to RB so we only need one canuck on defence!

Morley at running back? Interesting. He'll be the 'Thunder' to Ford's 'Lightning'!

Morley at running back? Interesting. He'll be the 'Thunder' to Ford's 'Lightning'!

lol... meant RG.... must have jumped over the "G" on my keyboard

Doesn't look like size is going to be our thing on defense.

Im not really liking it that much either. I was hoping that Tate would be WILL and rotate in at End. Hopefully Nzegwu is as good as I think he's going to be and it Forces Tate back into LBing/coverage type of role.

I just don't think Tate is dimensional enough off the edge. Theres no way he's going to be able to bull rush any of the OT's... He will probably struggle trying to get the OT's hands off him IMO

Doesn't look like size is going to be our thing on defense.

That's probably what worries me most.  I think back to our games against Calgary last year and it really didn't matter how fast or in-position our players were, they were getting steamrolled by the big boys on the Calgary offence... couldn't make a tackle to save their lives.

what does the depth chart really mean at this point in time when they havent even taken the field, half those guys will be cut.

I think it gives some hints.  For example, it's not an accident that a guy like Desia Dunn is listed as the starter at WILL.  To me, that says we are looking to use that position more like the SAM is traditionally used, as a DB/LB hybrid.  I believe that it also shows a lack of confidence in our interior OL when they have an American penciled in at right guard, even though we have guys like Pencer, Swiston, and Kowalczuk who have already been around for awhile.

Like you say, a depth chart on day one doesn't mean much.  But you are fooling yourself if you don't believe the coaches have already sat down and contemplated which position each player on the roster fits into best, and as such has slotted them in there on the depth chart.  These things can and will change, but it is a starting point.

If nothing else, it provides some great talking points for an obviously football-starved fanbase.

Hmm, just noticed but where is pontbriand and fitzgerald? were they quietly released? cuz i dont see either of them listed on that depth chart.

Odd because they are both still listed on the official team roster

http://bluebombers.com/roster/index/team/5

yet nowhere to be found on the depth chart that was posted.

It's been updated since I first came across it. Edited the initial post in the topic