Depth Chart

Who has our best tackler arguably been the last few seasons, i'd argue that it was the smallest guy on the field, alex suber. So yeah size really doesn't matter as much as some are making it out to be. And prior to him, could argue it was that gigantic 5'9 maybe monster in jonathan hefney. Size doesn't mean much really.

who do you think is harder to block? Zach Anderson or Alex Suber? Don't tell me size doesn't matter... especially in the run game

That depends. It'd be much easier to catch Anderson. You need to catch up to the guy before even attempting to tackle.

Who has our best tackler arguably been the last few seasons, i'd argue that it was the smallest guy on the field, alex suber. So yeah size really doesn't matter as much as some are making it out to be. And prior to him, could argue it was that gigantic 5'9 maybe monster in jonathan hefney. Size doesn't mean much really.

Except that when Suber tackles a guy it's in the open field, how good a tackler would he be if he had to shed blocks from very large angry men to make those tackles?

Except that when Suber tackles a guy it's in the open field, how good a tackler would he be if he had to shed blocks from very large angry men to make those tackles?

You could easily argue that open field tackling is harder... but I'm not going to....

I'll take more stock in the depth chart once the roster is announced...

You could easily argue that open field tackling is harder... but I'm not going to....

harder in a different way but easier in other ways too. 

You can't really compare the two

Shedding blocks to make a gap tackle vs. Open field tackle

Sure open field tackling probably takes more technical skill... shedding blocks requires size and strength (when you are trying to shed a 300lb Olineman)

Suber is a great open field tackler... I wouldn't ask him to bull rush an OL

Sure open field tackling probably takes more technical skill... shedding blocks requires size and strength (when you are trying to shed a 300lb Olineman)

I'm not trying to start an argument here, just food for thought.... if you compare apples-to-apples when it comes to tackling would it be easier for Suber bullrush a 5'10 190lb O-linemen or Anderson to tackle a 6'2 260lb runner in the open field? Probably the former... I personally think sure open field tacklers are far more rare in the CFL

I'm not trying to start an argument here, just food for thought.... if you compare apples-to-apples when it comes to tackling would it be easier for Suber bullrush a 5'10 190lb O-linemen or Anderson to tackle a 6'2 260lb runner in the open field? Probably the former... I personally think sure open field tacklers are far more rare in the CFL

I'd say both would do a poor job and probably miss more often than not (Suber wouldn't close the gap / Anderson would miss the open field tackle)

Thats why Anderson is the guy we get to close the gap and Suber is the guy we have making open field tackles...

But yeh sure... sometimes suber could get enough of his body in the way to be able to trip up an RB in the gap... he probably wouldn't last many games in that role though

If our guys are getting dominated in the trenches(Lucas and Tate) and Lineman are jumping up to the second level, that's a big deal. Especially when we're using a DB at Will, which I would like if we would use a good size Line.

Who knows, maybe Tate and Lucas will surprise me

While I hate the idea of Zach Anderson getting bumped out of a starting role, I don't mind Ryan Lucas... he was actually getting lots of reps and looking quite good last year until Jon Gott ended his season with a pretty questionable block.  I do believe that Lucas is our best option as a second Canadian starter on defence.... better than using two NI's in the secondary or trying to wedge Graig Newman into a starting MLB role, at least.

Mike O'shea today on his PC, up on the official site, said to not look to far into depth charts at this place and time, they are just really trying to get guys reps.

So with t hat being said, don't probably need to worry about guys like anderson washington wild. They will more than likely be on the team. 

Mike O'shea today on his PC, up on the official site, said to not look to far into depth charts at this place and time, they are just really trying to get guys reps.

So with t hat being said, don't probably need to worry about guys like anderson washington wild. They will more than likely be on the team. 

Yeah I don't doubt it.  O'Shea was pretty complimentary of Washington in particular when Penton asked about him.