Donald Sterling....And Mark Cuban

So we all know this Donald Sterling fiasco.

I have to admit (as much as Im almost afraid to) that Im not sure how I feel about this whole thing.

One thing I find interesting, theres a story about Mark Cuban saying he would be a hypocrit if he voted to oust Sterling because everyone is bigoted in some way and if everyone had their private conversations made public, they'd all be in trouble.  The really interesting thing is Cuban gave two examples.  He said if he saw a black kid in a hoodie at night, he'd walk to the other side of the street.  And if he then saw a shaved head white kid covered in ink, he'd cross back.  Guess what the headline of the story was?  Yup: Cuban: I'd cross the street to get away from a black kid in a hoodie.

I think one thing I struggle with is, Sterling is, what, 80 years old?  If my grandfather was still alive and 80 years old Im not sure I'd want someone secretly recording his private words in a heated argument (and I never heard either of my grandfathers utter a racist word ever).  I certainly wouldnt feel comfortable with my 80 year old grandfather doing a sit down interview with Anderson Cooper.  I realise Sterling is a "high functioning" 80 year old, but he's still 80 years old.

Im not sure he's a racist or just a crazy old man.

Now what would your opinion be if he bad mouthed gay people?

I don't see how you could waffle on your opinions so much.

Sterling is an old racist but really who cares, I think the bigger issue is someone taping him without consent. He never publically bad mouthed black guys.

I think its scary that you can't have an opinion or even share it in your own home.

I guess when you are a billionaire who owns sports teams, you need to watch what you say. Doesn't really matter if any of us said what these guys did, it wouldn't be that big of a deal but when people in the public limelight/spotlight start spouting off, Well... This is what happens.

It is what it is. Turns out money cant solve all your problems after all.

I don't have an issue with what Cuban said, i think he's being honest and i'll be the first to admit, that i would probably do the same thing.. however, i'd probably do the same thing if a white tatood up skinhead was walking on my side of the street too.

Nothing against blacks or whites or anyone really, just... sometimes, you do get a vibe about certain people and yup... I dont know about any of you but i live in an area that is dominated by white people with young families. If i saw a black guy in a hoodie walking down my street, some suspicion would creep in. Same goes for a white skinhead type too tho. We just don't have those people in this area of the "city". 

I am just so confused how Stirling's mistress is clearly not white, and he owns an NBA team... how racist can he be?  Combined with his comments he just sounds nuts.

She's definitely not black either tho, his comments were directed towards black people.

I find it confusing that he is in the one in trouble when he said all this in the privacy of his own home, im not sure how this woman (if i can call her that) gets off so easily here. She is the one that actually did the worst thing and thats record a private conversation in the guys own house and then send that tape off to TMZ. Listen, sterling isn't innocent but he's also not as guilty as people are pretending he is. He is an 80 year old man with signs of dimentia, i'm not exactly sure how he can be blamed for some of the things he says. My grandmother had dimentia and later alzheimers and she thought she was a teenager again back in the 30's. That was a different time. It boggles my mind that in canada a guy like vince leigh can  get off a murder charge because he has a mental disorder but... in the states, a guy with a quite obvious mental disease also gets crapped on.

Stirling's an old goat. A rich old goat. Lots of people from his generation carry the same sentiments. I know how my dad & his friends felt after thy had a few drinks growing up  about people with black or brown skin. Sadly, even my generation, the"flower power" generation where peace & love was supposed to triumph still say the damnedest things. Heck, in my high school guys would go cruising to the legislative grounds on Fridays or Saturday nights looking for gays to beat up in the mid 70's. Used to hear stories in senior high about how some guys in a car roughed up & scared some gay guy by the river. I thankfully never ever took part in that but we all laughed about it. I think with each generation the tolerance level goes up & more younger kids find this unacceptable.

This thing probably ends with Baron Von Raschke (Commissioner Adam Silver) suspending operations of the Clippers and put the onus on Sterling to sue for loss of income.

Its clear at this point Sterling has no intention to concede to NBA wishes. 

This thing probably ends with Baron Von Raschke (Commissioner Adam Silver) suspending operations of the Clippers and put the onus on Sterling to sue for loss of income.

Baron would just give Sterling "THE CLAW" and he'd be out cold in a few seconds ;)

Baron would just give Sterling "THE CLAW" and he'd be out cold in a few seconds ;)

Zat is all za people need to  know.

Very interesting comments here.  I like this thread very much.

Brandon - you seem to have issues with gay people.  This isnt about homophobia and I know some people like to paint those that have a different opinion as close minded.  So let me address your remark first.  Rob Ford came under fire for not attending the Toronto Gay Pride parade.  I dont recall all the details as I think he eventually did make some clearly homophobic remarks but at the time I read the story, his comments were essentailly "I have no problem with it at all but I dont think the Pride festivities are a good place to take my family.  I dont feel some of the antics are things Id like my young kids to see".  And you know what, I dont disagree with that.  I marched in the Pride parade here last year and I think I'd be okay with my kids (if I had some) being there but I can understand and have no isse with those that wouldnt...as long as its not because they dont want to expose kids to "gays" but you had people walking around half naked, sex toys, heavy making out/petting etc.  So I can understand that from the stand point of exposing kids to that behaviour, gay or straight.

There are homophobic comments and then there are comments that arent.  Dennis Miller once spoke to this.  Obviously he's a pretty right wing guy and he was asked how he feels about gay marriage.  He gave a diplomatic answer that I actually liked.  He said basically "who cares?  What two consenting adults do or do adults wanting to get married is about 5343rd on my list of things to worry about".  Youm dont have to openly *like* gay marriage to shrug and say "meh who cares".  It's the people who openly oppose it that are the problem.

Anyway, that aside, applying the same standards to Sterling, I'm just not sure.  He admitted he was angry and he wanted to sleep with the woman in question, who is black (if Im not mistaken).  Isnt his head coach black?  And the majority of the athletes in his league?  That doesnt preclude him from being racist ofcourse.  But something doesnt fit.

I think "crazy old bastard" is just as likely in this case as "raging hater of minorities".  But whats done is done and as others said, its business.  His remarks about Magic were ludicrous too (even if here was some truth to some of them).  If he hadnt given that interview, I think he might have been able to save himself.

Brandon - you seem to have issues with gay people.  This isnt about homophobia and I know some people like to paint those that have a different opinion as close minded.  So let me address your remark first.  Rob Ford came under fire for not attending the Toronto Gay Pride parade.  I dont recall all the details as I think he eventually did make some clearly homophobic remarks but at the time I read the story, his comments were essentailly "I have no problem with it at all but I dont think the Pride festivities are a good place to take my family.  I dont feel some of the antics are things Id like my young kids to see".  And you know what, I dont disagree with that.  I marched in the Pride parade here last year and I think I'd be okay with my kids (if I had some) being there but I can understand and have no isse with those that wouldnt...as long as its not because they dont want to expose kids to "gays" but you had people walking around half naked, sex toys, heavy making out/petting etc.  So I can understand that from the stand point of exposing kids to that behaviour, gay or straight.

The perception that gays do those kinds of things is part of what creates homophobia. Take Canadian Blood Services policies as another example.  To someone who is not educated, the questions that CBS asks about homosexuality make it appear that most homosexuals live a high-risk lifestyle.  If that is not the intent, then why are there specific questions about them?  Why not just general questions about high-risk sexual activity?  

There are many other examples in society - you can't completely blame individuals for being uncomfortable with homosexuality.

I am just so confused how Stirling's mistress is clearly not white, and he owns an NBA team... how racist can he be?  Combined with his comments he just sounds nuts.

Oh the dude is a crazy old racist, the irony is that the comments that he is in so much trouble for aren't.  His remarks about being embarassed are regarding his old racist friends - he doesn't want his...girlfriend...to be seen with black players because of what his friends might think.  That said, his history of racist actions are fairly well documented, not worth re-hashing.

As for the...girlfriend..., as I understand it in California it is illegal to record a private conversation without consent.  She certainly has no ethical high ground to stand on; she might not have any legal ground to stand on either.  Of course, once you pull the pin on a grenade and thrown it into a room, pointing out the legal ramifications is just a wee bit too late.  She accomplished what she set out to do.

This is a story full of horrible people.  I'm sure they'll all get book deals and reality TV shows as punishments for their actions.

The perception that gays do those kinds of things is part of what creates homophobia. Take Canadian Blood Services policies as another example.  To someone who is not educated, the questions that CBS asks about homosexuality make it appear that most homosexuals live a high-risk lifestyle.  If that is not the intent, then why are there specific questions about them?  Why not just general questions about high-risk sexual activity?  

There are many other examples in society - you can't completely blame individuals for being uncomfortable with homosexuality.

Oh for sure.  I agree.  The blood thing is interesting.  My buddy was called all the time to go donate.  When he came out, he told them "Im gay" and they never called again.  Unfortunately, there is a predominant segment of the gay community that is anywhere from somewhat to wildly permiscuous, in an extremely disgusting way actually.

Sadly the prevailing opinion that gays engage in permiscuous sex is not unfounded.  And I say that as someone that has made it clear what I think about homophobia.

Oh the dude is a crazy old racist, the irony is that the comments that he is in so much trouble for aren't.  His remarks about being embarassed are regarding his old racist friends - he doesn't want his...girlfriend...to be seen with black players because of what his friends might think.  That said, his history of racist actions are fairly well documented, not worth re-hashing.

As for the...girlfriend..., as I understand it in California it is illegal to record a private conversation without consent.  She certainly has no ethical high ground to stand on; she might not have any legal ground to stand on either.  Of course, once you pull the pin on a grenade and thrown it into a room, pointing out the legal ramifications is just a wee bit too late.  She accomplished what she set out to do.

This is a story full of horrible people.  I'm sure they'll all get book deals and reality TV shows as punishments for their actions.

Also, I think he can do better.

Oh for sure.  I agree.  The blood thing is interesting.  My buddy was called all the time to go donate.  When he came out, he told them "Im gay" and they never called again.  Unfortunately, there is a predominant segment of the gay community that is anywhere from somewhat to wildly permiscuous, in an extremely disgusting way actually.

Sadly the prevailing opinion that gays engage in permiscuous sex is not unfounded.  And I say that as someone that has made it clear what I think about homophobia.

That is indeed unfortunate - not to mention unsafe for them.

So unknown poster if mo price was an old white rich guy then that would justify it?

Kind of bizarre how some people can get away with being ignorant and others can not.

Sterling is a moron and said much worse things then Mo Price.

So unknown poster if mo price was an old white rich guy then that would justify it?

Kind of bizarre how some people can get away with being ignorant and others can not.

Sterling is a moron and said much worse things then Mo Price.

He's a moron but he's also a product of his generation.  Not that that in any way condones what he said.

It's definitely a generational gap thing.

People born a long time ago were raised under different conditions, at one point blacks were used as slaves, people were hung from trees, people were hung on the streets.

The world today is now way more sensitive, it's true, it's damn true..  The world wasn't so sensitive back when guys like sterling and our grandparents were born, another time, another world, im not sure most of us would have survived back then. There wasnt even an internet or cell phones or really, tv's. lets all sit around the radio.

The world has changed through the years, for the better or for the worse? it's hard to say actually in the big picture. 

It's odd that in 'Merica, they always pride themselves on freedom of speech.. well i guess, freedom of speech only applies if most people agree with it.

The World be changing again. 

I'm not sure how i'd feel if i was in the comfort of my own home, said something, and then the next week it was all over TMZ and the papers.

I think that makes me worry a bit about what the world is actually changing in to

It's odd that in 'Merica, they always pride themselves on freedom of speech.. well i guess, freedom of speech only applies if most people agree with it.

It's a common misconception that freedom of speech should mean you are free of the consequences from what you've said.

It's a common misconception that freedom of speech should mean you are free of the consequences from what you've said.

i agree however with that being said, what did sterling say exactly? just that he didn't want his mistress hanging out with blacks. He didn't call them the n word, he just said he didn't want her hanging with the blacks, what if he said i dont want you hanging around those african american people? is it still a big deal? Just for the record, i'm not applauding sterling here or saying he's innocent, i just am asking, if what he said, in the big picture, is it really that big of a deal? or was it maybe just blown out of proportion a bit. He is an old racist for sure, it's well documented the dislike the  guy has for minorities, but...outside of his cnn interview where he totally killed himself, what did he say really?