Can We Please Run The Ball?

Deebs

Good offenses keep defenses off balance.  You need to have strong run formations, you need to run from them and show you can pass from them too.  You need strong pass formations, you need to show you can run from them too.  Our offence right now is very predictable, any playaction or read plays we use are slow developing at 5 yards depth in our backfield, really just bogging down our offence and not fooling anyone.  Do the basics well and mix it up.

couldn't agree more! its frustrating to watch our offensive schemes.... 

Good offenses keep defenses off balance.  You need to have strong run formations, you need to run from them and show you can pass from them too.  You need strong pass formations, you need to show you can run from them too.  Our offence right now is very predictable, any playaction or read plays we use are slow developing at 5 yards depth in our backfield, really just bogging down our offence and not fooling anyone.  Do the basics well and mix it up.

Yes. I say we go with the jet package. Defenses won't know if we are going fumble in the backfield or run and get stopped for a loss or if I'm going to be the only one touching the qbs.

QB's last night were 23-29 for 309 yards.  

Maybe we run too much?  

Just kidding, but seriously lack of running plays wasn't our problem last night.  Lack of successful running plays was.  Lots of 2nd and 9's courtesy of the run game.  The running game wasn't all that **** hot.  

Yes. I say we go with the jet package. Defenses won't know if we are going fumble in the backfield or run and get stopped for a loss or if I'm going to be the only one touching the qbs.

Hey, every team in the league uses the jet or sweep at least once a game, our problem is that we run out of the same option read every time unless Goltz is in and then runs with it. A whole 2 running plays in the arsenal.....not good enough.

Our problem is that we cant successfully run or throw the ball consistently enough to gain a 1st down. So we can't establish the run nor can we establish a passing game because we can open a gap for the rb or throw to an open receiver.

Stupid and frustrating for the 4th year in a row.

Can't run the ball with Buck at Q.B.  He scares nobody with his arm.  They want him to throw, that way they have a great chance at the ball as well. 

Anyway, enough about that.  Buck is done and the ship will sink even further if they keep playing him. 34-10 Cal.

Let's talk Goltz.  With Goltz starting we win, it is as simple as this.  Have him run the bootleg from sideline to sideline for the first quarter, make these guys chase him only to have him go down field or dump a nice 8-12 yarder off to a receiver.  Tire them out for a change. 

By the second they will be able to open up the run causing Cal to figure out how to try and cover both at the half.

The 3rd and 4th is simple.  We be Goin' Deep baby! 38-27 WPG.   

ridiculous, he is fast enough to run outside, they just do it too much is all. 

Sorry 17, I watched him run wide time & time again last Friday & he can't do it. Ends up running horizontally for little or no gain. All his positive yards were done running between the tackles.

Simpson was  running sideways & he couldn't  beat the angle of pursuit enough to turn his shoulders upfield. On every play he tried to string it out almost to the sidelines & was totally unsuccessful. So, what did Crowton do? Well, he just had to keep calling that stupid play.... When he did run successfully it was between the tackles. Naturally Crowton never called that play enough.

I dunno, first couple games we tried plenty through the tackles, but Simpson wasn't making anybody miss, so the last couple games he has ran outside more, but he seems to not cut in when it's smart to cut in, instead chooses to keep running out even when he doesn't have the angle. Simpson just needs to make smarter decisions, but do it off instincts, not by over thinking.

I dunno, first couple games we tried plenty through the tackles, but Simpson wasn't making anybody miss, so the last couple games he has ran outside more, but he seems to not cut in when it's smart to cut in, instead chooses to keep running out even when he doesn't have the angle. Simpson just needs to make smarter decisions, but do it off instincts, not by over thinking.

He can't beat the angle of pursuit  in order to turn in so he keeps running wide hoping to beat his tacklers but he can't.

He can't beat the angle of pursuit  in order to turn in so he keeps running wide hoping to beat his tacklers but he can't.

or his tacklers are taking away the outside and Simpson isn't recognizing it and going inside. Simpson is flat out not playing well and it's not because he's too slow to run outside. You are making the problem too complex. This is a player playing without confidence and he's trying to get yards the "easy" way by stretching it horizontally. You see it happen all the time to runningbacks who are struggling. 

or his tacklers are taking away the outside and Simpson isn't recognizing it and going inside. Simpson is flat out not playing well and it's not because he's too slow to run outside. You are making the problem too complex. This is a player playing without confidence and he's trying to get yards the "easy" way by stretching it horizontally. You see it happen all the time to runningbacks who are struggling. 

I was at the game. I saw what was going on. I could see the play & the blocking develop by watching the entire field which you can't see on television. It's not about him not playing well. He couldn't beat the defenders outside, trust me. Crowton is expecting him to do something  he can't do. He is a north/ south runner. He can't run a fly or a sweep consistently as he  is too slow. That being said, he is very effective inside. But outside, uh uh...

I was at the game. I saw what was going on. I could see the play & the blocking develop by watching the entire field which you can't see on television. It's not about him not playing well. He couldn't beat the defenders outside, trust me. Crowton is expecting him to do something  he can't do. He is a north/ south runner. He can't run a fly or a sweep consistently as he  is too slow. That being said, he is very effective inside. But outside, uh uh...

you are choosing to believe that a profession coach who has coached for years doesn't recognize what his players can and can't do... I dunno seems to me more like that you have an axe to grind and will find evidence to support that agenda no matter what. 

That's not how I'm seeing it.  I see us running a zone scheme where it is up to Simpson to pick a gap and make a cut to get upfield, he keeps charging off-tackle and dancing behind the line trying to win the race to the sideline.  I'd like to see him make one cut and pound it up inside, much like he did for parts of last season and how Garrett did in 2011.  The indecisive way he's running now it's either a home run or a 2 yard loss, and that just isn't going to cut it.

That's not how I'm seeing it.  I see us running a zone scheme where it is up to Simpson to pick a gap and make a cut to get upfield, he keeps charging off-tackle and dancing behind the line trying to win the race to the sideline.  I'd like to see him make one cut and pound it up inside, much like he did for parts of last season and how Garrett did in 2011.  The indecisive way he's running now it's either a home run or a 2 yard loss, and that just isn't going to cut it

As I was mentioning in the another thread, I saw, in the 1st half, what you are describing. In two instances, where the blocking was formed to the inside, Simpson went off tackle and tried to get the corner...failed. If he had stayed true, he should have gotten at least 2-4 yds as a conservative guess.

And I was at the game also. I could not see the same thing until I re-watched it on the PVR.

Yes, sure the Bombers like everyone else run a zone read scheme where the OL blocks down & the running back finds the hole. The running back reads & reacts. The plays they were running outside were designed to go outside but not like that. Simpson didn't have the speed to cut inside because he wasn't beating the angle of pursuit. Every back has to cut inside at some point but truth be known had he tried to cut in, he'd have been tackled for a loss every play so he strung it waaay outside further than it should have been. For our run game to succeed we need a back with more speed, a guy who  can run inside & outside. I think one of the things the Bombers have to do is bring in some new running backs that have that ability. Look at Harris, Kackert, Cornish & Sheets. Four guys who can run tough inside & have the speed to go outside. That is exactly what our backs have to do. Once NFL camps get underway & the cuts start in a few weeks, they may have to do just that. 

I could not see the same thing until I re-watched it on the PVR.

Just have to learn what to look for, you'll get better with practice.

JBR has what I was saying nailed down though, and there was many times he could of got well over 2-4 yards.

ISO is still off, most of the time if he did cut in, the yards were there.

you are choosing to believe that a profession coach who has coached for years doesn't recognize what his players can and can't do... I dunno seems to me more like that you have an axe to grind and will find evidence to support that agenda no matter what. 

Are you crazy? What agenda? I'm just telling you what I saw, that's it. Nothing else, nothing more. I made an observation. I have an opinion. I say what is on my mind. I want the team to win. I don't want us playing like ****. Jeez... Agenda??? Like WTH???

Oh, oh, oh... wait. I get it. Coaches don't make dumbass mistakes. That's why they never get fired. Every team has winning seasons & nobody loses. We have the bestest, absolute greatest players in the CFL... no, sorry ALL of football. Buck is a stud, never gets hurt, never misses a game. League MVP. Bombers lose not because they didn't play well but because an unlucky break always at the wrong time causes them to. Other teams don't beat us. We beat ourselves. Burke is a genius. Crowton a visionary. This team is Grey Cup bound. it behooves me to stop any criticism of the team because hey, I'm just a fan & I need to STHU & know my role. What the hell  do I or anyone else here know? Thanks 17 for straightening me out. I'll just throw my agenda in the garbage now. Thanks for letting me realize the errors of my ways & get with the program. ;)

He doesn't have to get outside the tackle before he cuts.  Especially after he's run the search play off tackle almost every time we've run it.  The wider he stretches the play without attacking the depth of the defence the less likely he is to gain positive yards because he is wasting all his energy running sideline to sideline while drawing every defender closing all the cutback lanes.  Unless the play is misdirection or contain is broken he shouldn't be taking every search play off tackle.  Simply, Simpson needs to make better reads, and honestly I think he is pressing way too hard to make big plays, and putting the offence is 2nd and very long all the time.  Maybe he needs prescribed running plays.

He doesn't have to get outside the tackle before he cuts.  Especially after he's run the search play off tackle almost every time we've run it.  The wider he stretches the play without attacking the depth of the defence the less likely he is to gain positive yards because he is wasting all his energy running sideline to sideline while drawing every defender closing all the cutback lanes.  Unless the play is misdirection or contain is broken he shouldn't be taking every search play off tackle.  Simply, Simpson needs to make better reads, and honestly I think he is pressing way too hard to make big plays, and putting the offence is 2nd and very long all the time.  Maybe he needs prescribed running plays.

Some guys just aren't good zone runners. Jon Cornish said at college it took him 3 years to perfect the zone run. Not as easy as it looks.

I give the Argo defence just as much credit for stringing those Simpson runs out to the sideline as anything. The Bombers just don't run enough options out of that formation to fool most defences, never mind a Chris Jones defence.

Still comes back to the OC having a bland offence with little or know imagination in the play selection.