Chevy

Floyd

I don't understand the point.... Give up a promising prospect who made an impact this season for more promising prospects who haven't? Who is going to give up that much for Trouba?

Its just speculation... really depends on Trouba's next season - if a 21 year old defenceman, dominates - I can think of about eight teams that would give up prospects for him, starting with Edmonton

All the over rating of Trouba aside (and yes he is a really good prospect, but he's not the norris winner people want to paint him as yet) The oilers are not likely to thrown an offer sheet at a guy like that, they'd be more likely to use their assets to get someone more proven.Lots of youth and potential on that team already including the defense position what they need are some veterans who can help bring the young players along. 

Like I said, we'll see - we have him for two more season for sure - then I think its $6 mill...  for our highest minutes D-man, I don't think that's over-rating.

all depends on how he plays and how long the Jets want to lock him in for. If you are going to pay a defencemen 6 million a season he has to bring offense as well as defense. 

Enstrom -  82 games - 10 G, 20A, -9 - 5.75 mill

Trouba - 65 games - 10 G, 15A, +4...

all depends on how he plays and how long the Jets want to lock him in for. If you are going to pay a defencemen 6 million a season he has to bring offense as well as defense. 

Enstrom -  82 games - 10 G, 20A, -9 - 5.75 mill

Trouba - 65 games - 10 G, 15A, +4...

yeah... we should always ignore the 50+ point seasons Enstrom has put up in the past, that makes complete sense. Enstrom got that payday because he is normally a point producing defensemen. Trouba when he was drafted was seen as more of a defensive guy, but he developed some offense in his post draft year and has shown some good offensive instincts as a rookie, he needs to keep that up though. Purely defensive guys don't get the big pay days like that. 

The only way Trouba isnt a Winnipeg Jet 5 years from now is if he does something uncharacteristic and demands a trade.  There is nothing to indicate he's anything but a professional who likes True North and the Jets.

I expect him to sign a max length contract and Chevy will get a decent cap hit on it by giving him big dollars in years 6-8 and getting a break in years 1-3

You bui;ld a championship from the goal & defense out. If Trouba develops you don't trade him for a prospect who could be the "next" Gretzky. He could turn out to be the next Alex Yashin. Nothing is guaranteed. Then what?

A shut down defenseman who can move the puck and generate offence is pretty much exhibit A on most Stanley Cup winners / contenders.

Olli is a good player - 3rd or 4th liner but he doesn't play with grinding intensity and like many Jets his meanness level is fairly low, taking the odd bad penalty to hope fans decipher that as intensity.

I think Chevy might shoot for a 2 million discount on a one year contract - approx. 2.5 mill. a year but Ollie will probably instruct his agent to bluff up Chevy and go for 3.5.

Maybe the answer lies in giving Jokinen two more years at 2.75 per year. Thats about what I'd give him to continue. But there's always a chance a desperate franchise gives him over 3 million. ie. Toronto, Buffalo, NYI or Edmonton.

Maurice likes him but we need more grit "n grind on this team, not just guys who are good in the room and who fess up when the going gets tough and a spokesman is needed for media interviews.

I understand Chevy's dilemma - he lets Jokinen walk he's still got to field an equivalent player. The way Chevy is he'd be rolling dice with a waiver wire pickup or pray he'll have a junior or Ice cap player ready.

Except your asessment of Jokinen is not true.  According to Paul Maurice, he very much likes Jokinen's defensive play. 

Maurice is the current coach. He speaks highly of everyone on his current team. If he was coming at it from his previous perch as a media analyst his tone would change significantly. I'm not saying Joker isn't a good player - but at 35/36 he's not a 4.5 million guy. 

Maurice has been blowing a ton of smoke since taking over for Noel. The yap about talking to his family regarding a long-term coaching contract with True North is a bit of a ruse imho.

He's really thinking about whether he wants to coach a team of mostly over-performers who might still be 3 years away from a legit playoff challenge cuz the Jets roster is just NOT THAT GOOD!

But a guy like Maurice can't say that......his out is the one he's been setting up for weeks - that his family has to agree!

Even Clod Noel maintained to his firing day that he 'like his team', liked his players. 

Maurice is tremendous at setting up low expectations. Did you hear him talking about Pavelec and turning it around to a mini-lecture about total team conditioning?

Trouba is simply one of the best defensive prospects in the NHL right now.. He hits like a truck, doesn't make a ton of gaffes, has a booming shot AND knows when to make a move offensively.... Most of the time. He made some mistakes as all rookies do but I really don't think he is anywhere near his plateau yet and the jets would have to get the craziest offer around to move him or make the dumbest move possible to not match any offer put forth.. Even if it costs em someone else

Trade Trouba? someone hasnt been paying attention at all. What a ridiculous idea that is.

Thank god nasty nate isnt running this team. Trade trouba? No, you build your team around a guy like Trouba and thats what the JETS will do.

This team is going to be built around guys like Trouba,Scheif,Morrissey.... You dont trade those guys. No teams will offer sheet them either cuz it just doesnt work like that anymore.

Trouba will be a jet for a very long time.

As for Chevy, the one thing i will say is when Chevy speaks, he says a lot but he doesnt say much.

He holds his cards close to his vest and i'm fine with that

As a fan, i dont need to know everything, i dont care even to know everything thats going on behind the scenes, i dont even care about everything going on behind the scenes. Some of the questions our media asks the guy, What type of answer do you expect him to give? Are you going to trade kane? What is he supposed to say, YES and lower his value?

Chevy is a smart hockey man, he knows more about hockey then all of us combined.

Its been 3, 2.5 seasons actually since they have been back... 2 of his draft picks are on the team already and others are having outstanding years playing in the WHL or OHL or even St Johns (Kichton anyone??) Has locked up consistent players like wheeler and little (so under rated its insane), Has a great captain in Ladd, good d man in toby, all those naysayers saying toby is too small to play in the west, LOL he played all 82 games, Locking up a guy like stuart even, maybe not the best player on the ice but a heart and soul guy who busts his butt night in and night out and a guy who now calls winnipeg home. What do we want in 2.5 seasons really? Did we forget that sure when they got here they had a good core, but outside of that...absolutely nothing. 2 of his picks are on the team and others seem to be knocking on the door (dont be surprised if morrissey or even kichton is on this team next season) Chevy has done a good job restocking the cupboards, we were a bottom 5 team in terms of prospects when the team moved here, now we are ranked in the top 15 or even top 10 in  terms of prospects.He's done good, Free agents? Gotta remember that no free agent will sign with a team (alteast not one that is any good) that doesnt win. Its nothing to do with winnipeg or the cold or this city or lack of malls or whatever else people throw around. Its all about winning. This team starts winning and free agents will want to come here.

After 2.5 seasons tho, this team is where they are because basically, you cant change everything in such a short time frame, but what you can do is take baby steps and that is exactly what chevy and company have done, baby steps. Do we need some upgrades in certain areas? sure we do, all teams do, and im sure they will find a way to do some things this off season ( i think buff gets moved b4 kane to be honest) (end of season interview suggests maurice wants buff to play forward and buff wants to play d, i could see them moving buff)

With Chevy's Q & A yesterday I found it a little odd that his stance on Pavelec is unwavering.

Not sure why you would be. Lets look at reality instead of sillyness for a moment. Pavelec is the only goalie currently under contract for next season. Montoya is a UFA and a career backup, as much as people want to pretend he's a starter, he isnt. Pasqualle hasnt played a game up here. Hutch has played 3. Helle and Comrie are way too young to bring up just yet. Not sure why so surprised actually. I dont know why people seem to expect these guys to come out to the media and say, yup pav is gone for sure or yeah we gonna buy him out or stuff like that. It doesnt work like that. He's the only goalie currently under contract for next season. Its as simple as that. Maurice seems to think its less pav and more on the entire team. I'd honestly take chevy and maurices opinion over people who arent in the room. Same really with Kane, ill take the guys in the rooms opinion over people who post on fan forums anyday, Ive heard things like Kane is a cancer in the room, is he tho? how would any of us actually know this?

With Chevy's Q & A yesterday I found it a little odd that his stance on Pavelec is unwavering.

Not sure why you would be. Lets look at reality instead of sillyness for a moment. Pavelec is the only goalie currently under contract for next season. Montoya is a UFA and a career backup, as much as people want to pretend he's a starter, he isnt. Pasqualle hasnt played a game up here. Hutch has played 3. Helle and Comrie are way too young to bring up just yet. Not sure why so surprised actually. I dont know why people seem to expect these guys to come out to the media and say, yup pav is gone for sure or yeah we gonna buy him out or stuff like that. It doesnt work like that. He's the only goalie currently under contract for next season. Its as simple as that. Maurice seems to think its less pav and more on the entire team. I'd honestly take chevy and maurices opinion over people who arent in the room. Same really with Kane, ill take the guys in the rooms opinion over people who post on fan forums anyday, Ive heard things like Kane is a cancer in the room, is he tho? how would any of us actually know this?

Let me clarify why I find it odd.  A team that repeatedly misses the playoffs has to look for reasons for their deficiencies throughout the course of the offseason.  Having the GM come out less than a week after the season has ended, and publicly declare his firm stance on Pavelec is basically saying that the problems aren’t goaltending related.  I would have honestly expected a response that may have suggested he still believes in the goaltender, but still addressed the constant need for improvement in all positions.  It just seems too soon to be so cut and dry on the subject. 

Let me clarify why I find it odd.  A team that repeatedly misses the playoffs has to look for reasons for their deficiencies throughout the course of the offseason.  Having the GM come out less than a week after the season has ended, and publicly declare his firm stance on Pavelec is basically saying that the problems aren’t goaltending related.  I would have honestly expected a response that may have suggested he still believes in the goaltender, but still addressed the constant need for improvement in all positions.  It just seems too soon to be so cut and dry on the subject. 

Makes sense, the way i uhh heard him say it was, pav will be the number  1 goalie next season but... its up to PAV to show that he can be. Im not sure he gave him the ringing endorsement but he did say he'd be number 1 and right now, since he is the only nhl goalie on the roster under contract for next year, makes sense why he would say it. Im pretty sure he also said that pav has to prove he belongs also (not those words) but reading between the lines a bit, it seems to me that chevy and company believe in pav, they wont throw him under the bus, goalies confidence issues are a bit of a sticky situation, you dont want to say yeah he sucked, he's the reason we missed and we definitely need an upgrade, you need to tread carefully cuz there is no guarantee that a guy like halak/holtby/greiss whoever will be here so cant put all your eggs in the free agent basket i guess you can say. Do i think PAV will be number 1 next season? not if they can sign a guy i mentioned, if not... well, id rather go with pav and hutch then monty and hutch. I think what chevy was saying is... right now pav is the number 1 goalie going in to next season, things can tho and might change.

and lets not forget, if they dont buy out pav, they could always try to trade him if we sign another guy or they could bury his contract in st johns.

There are ways around this, you dont need to buy him out, you dont need to trade him. You can bury him in the minors, yup that involves him going through waivers but if he's as terrible as some suggest (im not convinced he is)

If you break his games down in to 10 game segments, i think what you will see is... he's pretty decent at times but pretty crappy at other times.

I wonder if part of pavs problem is if... maybe he plays too many games. maybe our coaches dont have confidence in the backup goalies.

There is always that possibility, if pav is so awful but the coaches play him the most, what does that say about montoya? says the coaches dont really have confidence in him to get the job done. Who knows, season just ended. Lets see what happens.

Makes sense, the way i uhh heard him say it was, pav will be the number  1 goalie next season but... its up to PAV to show that he can be. Im not sure he gave him the ringing endorsement but he did say he'd be number 1 and right now, since he is the only nhl goalie on the roster under contract for next year, makes sense why he would say it. Im pretty sure he also said that pav has to prove he belongs also (not those words) but reading between the lines a bit, it seems to me that chevy and company believe in pav, they wont throw him under the bus, goalies confidence issues are a bit of a sticky situation, you dont want to say yeah he sucked, he's the reason we missed and we definitely need an upgrade, you need to tread carefully cuz there is no guarantee that a guy like halak/holtby/greiss whoever will be here so cant put all your eggs in the free agent basket i guess you can say. Do i think PAV will be number 1 next season? not if they can sign a guy i mentioned, if not... well, id rather go with pav and hutch then monty and hutch. I think what chevy was saying is... right now pav is the number 1 goalie going in to next season, things can tho and might change.

I think there was a better way to translate things to the public right now in my opinion, but I can understand where he was coming from. 

Pav is #1 until something better turns up - and in Chevy's world thats a near impossibility cuz Chevy won't make trades unless he's the clear winner.

Conclusion - we're stuck with Pavelec and Evander....

maybe even Devon Setrogucci if he can't find a better player!

Olli is a good player - 3rd or 4th liner but he doesn't play with grinding intensity and like many Jets his meanness level is fairly low, taking the odd bad penalty to hope fans decipher that as intensity.

I think Chevy might shoot for a 2 million discount on a one year contract - approx. 2.5 mill. a year but Ollie will probably instruct his agent to bluff up Chevy and go for 3.5.

Maybe the answer lies in giving Jokinen two more years at 2.75 per year. Thats about what I'd give him to continue. But there's always a chance a desperate franchise gives him over 3 million. ie. Toronto, Buffalo, NYI or Edmonton.

Maurice likes him but we need more grit "n grind on this team, not just guys who are good in the room and who fess up when the going gets tough and a spokesman is needed for media interviews.

I understand Chevy's dilemma - he lets Jokinen walk he's still got to field an equivalent player. The way Chevy is he'd be rolling dice with a waiver wire pickup or pray he'll have a junior or Ice cap player ready.

Except your asessment of Jokinen is not true.  According to Paul Maurice, he very much likes Jokinen's defensive play. 

Maurice is the current coach. He speaks highly of everyone on his current team. If he was coming at it from his previous perch as a media analyst his tone would change significantly. I'm not saying Joker isn't a good player - but at 35/36 he's not a 4.5 million guy. 

Maurice has been blowing a ton of smoke since taking over for Noel. The yap about talking to his family regarding a long-term coaching contract with True North is a bit of a ruse imho.

He's really thinking about whether he wants to coach a team of mostly over-performers who might still be 3 years away from a legit playoff challenge cuz the Jets roster is just NOT THAT GOOD!

But a guy like Maurice can't say that......his out is the one he's been setting up for weeks - that his family has to agree!

Even Clod Noel maintained to his firing day that he 'like his team', liked his players. 

Maurice is tremendous at setting up low expectations. Did you hear him talking about Pavelec and turning it around to a mini-lecture about total team conditioning?

Nate, Maurice signed a new contract. Why would he do that for a bunch of overachievers if he didn't want to be here?. Maurice may be the best head coach the Jets 1.0 & 2.0 have ever had. We are fortunate to have him. I am extremely pleased he is coming back. Not pleased that Cheveldae announced Pavlec as the Jets starting goalie next year as that should have been Maurice. Still Chevy & Maurice must have discussed our goaltending & reached a consensus or he wouldn't have said that publicly.

I wonder if maybe the thinking with Pavelec is that he's got 3 years left on his deal. Thats probably when a  guy like Helle or/and Comrie will be ready, perhaps sooner even.

The thing with  going out and buying out pavelec and maybe signing a halak or a greiss or whoever is available or making a trade, (have to be a vet probably tho, dont want him but cam ward might actually make sense, not really money wise but how many years does he have left? if its 1 or 2? or even 3 like pav maybe you try to get him here, I dont think the goaltending answer long term for this team is in a trade, Its Helle or Comrie maybe both so you cant go out and get a goalie on a super long term deal. Just 2 or 3 years, Thats what PAV is on.

Maybe the solution is PAV plays less games and Hutch or whoever the backup is next season (NOT montoya) play more games and when you feel Hutch or Helle or Comrie or Pasqualle is ready to take over from PAV, well maybe in a couple seasons the cap will be much higher :P and pav is our backup veteran goaltender. Plays limited games.

Reimer was Toronto's #1 and then they traded for Bernier...  St Louis loved Halak/Elliott until Miller was available...  etc etc etc

What did anyone expect Chevy to say?  Pavs was only ever getting bought out on this forum...  

Why would he bury Pav? That would drop his value big time.

because if we sign a better goalie or one of the youngsters come up and show they are ready, where else is he gonna go? why buy him out when u can put him in st johns. Maybe he doesnt accept that and goes back to play in the khl or czech leagues or something.

I really dont think a buyout on pavelec is something TNSE  will even think about.

Sometimes, it makes me wonder. Buyout Pavelec he sucks, get rid of him, he sucks... but... you think burying his contract in the minors is awful?

how can the jets trade someone who is awful? why would anyone pick him up if he's as awful as some make him out to be. Why waste a  buyout on pav when you dont need too. You either trade him if you sign someone or one of your young guys step up or you bury him in the minors. He has no  trade value according to those who think he sucks.