Chevy

Floyd

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/04/11/chevy-needs-to-rev-it-up - now there's the old Friesen, we know and love...

Kind of an unfair analysis... and Scheifele's injury was really really bad timing...  still Chevy waited too long to get rid of Noel and didn't get anything for Setoguchi

I'm kind of up in the air about him - amazing draft skills and Frolik was a steal... but we overpaid Jokinen and Enstrom so it feels like the Jets will be up against the cap pretty soon.  Pretty much forced to offer Frolik $4.5 mill plus... probably $5.5

Both Trouba and Scheifele are key players but the biggest improvement for the Jets this year was moving Buff up to forward and splitting up Little-Ladd-Wheeler...

Where is the idea that we overpaid for jokinen and Enstrom coming from? I remember when Numinnen was the best kept secret in the NHL. Enstrom is a very good d man. If he was 6'2" he'd be a Norris candidate.

Jokinen was coming off a good season in Calgary and was signed to be our number 2 centre at a time when we had no centres. We still lack depth at that position. He had a bad year last year but a good hear this year.

Is rather have him at $2m - $3m but I wouldn't hang it as an overpayment around Chevys neck.

As for deadline deals, I'm sure he could have got a pick for gooch but the jets were still in the playoff hunt and had just lost Scheif to injury. Gooch was worth more to us in a playoff fight than a 3rd pick was.

Chevy is doing fine, anyone who does not see this team moving in the right direction does not really know much about our game imo.

They will continue to tinker, try and sign Ollie even if they give him 2 for less, they will move Kane and save some $$$ there imo.  Toby could also be moved if need be.

They are not changing everything at once without knowing what the issue really was, that is smart.  Piece by piece they are addressing the issues not flip flopping all over the place.

We are going to have a very solid team in 1-2 years.    

Where is the idea that we overpaid for jokinen and Enstrom coming from? I remember when Numinnen was the best kept secret in the NHL. Enstrom is a very good d man. If he was 6'2" he'd be a Norris candidate.

Jokinen was coming off a good season in Calgary and was signed to be our number 2 centre at a time when we had no centres. We still lack depth at that position. He had a bad year last year but a good hear this year.

Is rather have him at $2m - $3m but I wouldn't hang it as an overpayment around Chevys neck.

As for deadline deals, I'm sure he could have got a pick for gooch but the jets were still in the playoff hunt and had just lost Scheif to injury. Gooch was worth more to us in a playoff fight than a 3rd pick was.

Enstrom is good... but he's getting paid the same as Seabrook or Keith...  its just going to be tough when Trouba's agent asks for $7 million a year

Olli is a good player - 3rd or 4th liner but he doesn't play with grinding intensity and like many Jets his meanness level is fairly low, taking the odd bad penalty to hope fans decipher that as intensity.

I think Chevy might shoot for a 2 million discount on a one year contract - approx. 2.5 mill. a year but Ollie will probably instruct his agent to bluff up Chevy and go for 3.5.

Maybe the answer lies in giving Jokinen two more years at 2.75 per year. Thats about what I'd give him to continue. But there's always a chance a desperate franchise gives him over 3 million. ie. Toronto, Buffalo, NYI or Edmonton.

Maurice likes him but we need more grit "n grind on this team, not just guys who are good in the room and who fess up when the going gets tough and a spokesman is needed for media interviews.

I understand Chevy's dilemma - he lets Jokinen walk he's still got to field an equivalent player. The way Chevy is he'd be rolling dice with a waiver wire pickup or pray he'll have a junior or Ice cap player ready.

Olli is a good player - 3rd or 4th liner but he doesn't play with grinding intensity and like many Jets his meanness level is fairly low, taking the odd bad penalty to hope fans decipher that as intensity.

You really think in the heat of a game when a player takes a penalty that this is what is going through their minds?

Trouba at 7 million per year a big LOL to that.

Chevy is doing a great job so far, we are shedding dead weight and bringing in good young players.

The trade dead line is over rated, look how great St Louis is doing in New York after making the big trade for him.

Chevy is doing a great job so far, we are shedding dead weight and bringing in good young players.

The trade dead line is over rated, look how great St Louis is doing in New York after making the big trade for him.

Oh I don't think they'll pay him that...  but $6 million wouldn't surprise me at all (for each of Trouba and Scheifele - assuming they don't have sophomore syndrome)

Our top two D at the start of the season were getting 5.7 each - Buff and Enstrom...  We really have one more year of 'cheap' Trouba and then its $6 million plus...

Oh I don't think they'll pay him that...  but $6 million wouldn't surprise me at all (for each of Trouba and Scheifele - assuming they don't have sophomore syndrome)

Our top two D at the start of the season were getting 5.7 each - Buff and Enstrom...  We really have one more year of 'cheap' Trouba and then its $6 million plus...

I think there would be a "bridge" contract in the 2 - 4M range depending on how they do next season before they are making 6M.

They'll get whatever the market is paying. Why would they settle for a hometown discount? It's not their hometown.

Jets will try to go with the PK Subban model of bridge contract w/ Jacob.

Really depends on whether someone comes a knockin' a that someone is a Cup contender vs. a playoff pretender. 

They'll get whatever the market is paying. Why would they settle for a hometown discount? It's not their hometown.

Jets will try to go with the PK Subban model of bridge contract w/ Jacob.

Really depends on whether someone comes a knockin' a that someone is a Cup contender vs. a playoff pretender. 

Not sure that 'bridge contract' really worked out for Montreal... Subban is going to be asking fro $8-9 million, someone will put in a counter sheet for him

Chevy goes by the book and follows the old Chicago model. Trouble is Chicago got a swack of good draft picks when they were awful (worse even than Jets) with Toews, P-Kane, Sharp, Crawford not to mention some all-star d-men. 

Of the 14 teams that don't make NHL playoffs the Jets are Top 5 of the bunch, meaning they don't get much prime choice in the draft. Plus, they traded their 2nd rd pick for Setogucci, a nobody.

Don't expect too much in the way of blockbuster trades from Chevy. Just a steady plodder who'll keep drafting and try to outsmart other GMs for mid-round talent. Jets get a Top 12 goalie next year, they might move up to 88 points (still short of playoffs)

If Chevy had blown up the atrocious Atlanta Golf & Country Club group he might have crashed the Jets for a year or 2 but we'd have a chance for McDavid.

I don't understand the point.... Give up a promising prospect who made an impact this season for more promising prospects who haven't? Who is going to give up that much for Trouba?

If Trouba starts putting up monster numbers like 15 to 20 goals, 60 to 70 pts, huge time on ice, shut-down like +/- he'll garner a mega offer sheet. Only time it won't happen is if there's Lemieux, Gretzky, Crosby like players in the draft. If its just guys in the #10 to #20 spots then its a no-brainer. Get a sterling silver young pro in Trouba for a collection of mystery meats.

The only thing Trouba has to work a bit harder on is his meanness in front of his own net. He's a bit meek, not a psycho like Weber or Chara when protecting his net-minder. 

I think Chevy might shoot for a 2 million discount on a one year contract - approx. 2.5 mill. a year but Ollie will probably instruct his agent to bluff up Chevy and go for 3.5.

Maybe the answer lies in giving Jokinen two more years at 2.75 per year. Thats about what I'd give him to continue. But there's always a chance a desperate franchise gives him over 3 million. ie. Toronto, Buffalo, NYI or Edmonton.

Maurice likes him but we need more grit "n grind on this team, not just guys who are good in the room and who fess up when the going gets tough and a spokesman is needed for media interviews.

I understand Chevy's dilemma - he lets Jokinen walk he's still got to field an equivalent player. The way Chevy is he'd be rolling dice with a waiver wire pickup or pray he'll have a junior or Ice cap player ready.

Except your asessment of Jokinen is not true.  According to Paul Maurice, he very much likes Jokinen's defensive play. 

I don't understand the point.... Give up a promising prospect who made an impact this season for more promising prospects who haven't? Who is going to give up that much for Trouba?

Its just speculation... really depends on Trouba's next season - if a 21 year old defenceman, dominates - I can think of about eight teams that would give up prospects for him, starting with Edmonton

Its just speculation... really depends on Trouba's next season - if a 21 year old defenceman, dominates - I can think of about eight teams that would give up prospects for him, starting with Edmonton

All the over rating of Trouba aside (and yes he is a really good prospect, but he's not the norris winner people want to paint him as yet) The oilers are not likely to thrown an offer sheet at a guy like that, they'd be more likely to use their assets to get someone more proven.Lots of youth and potential on that team already including the defense position what they need are some veterans who can help bring the young players along.