Is Hutch The Real Deal?

Sort of related to the Pavs debate, but since that thread suddenly got de-railed into Bombers and politics, here is the question:

Is Hutch the real deal or a flash in the pan with a team playing better in front of him?

I believe he's an RFA this summer.  If the Jets feel he needs to play, do they bring him to camp next year as the defacto back-up?  Do they resign him as the starter in St John's?  Does it give them some freedom to move Pavs (going with a young unproven guy is scary though).

Hutch's only two goals allowed in the NHL were ones Im sure he'd want back.  I admit I havent watched either game in its entirety but Hutch looks very technically sound, appears to have good positioning.  Good positioning and good technique will often reduce the need to be super athletic since you dont often have to make circus saves if you're always in the right place.  But he also shows good athleticism, a good glove, great patience and the fact he's 6'3" doesnt hurt.

I cant say the Jets have soured on Pasquale but they sure seem to value hutch more.  Way too soon to say but maybe our goalie tandem looks like Hutch/Comrie in a couple of years.

90% of goalies can put two good games back to back. The only true test is 60-70 games over a season. He probably needs a season in St. John just get used to being the main man. Might be tough with all the good goalie prospect that the Jets have to get enough time for all of them.

It is too early to tell if he is the goalie of the future.

However I have been impressed with the 2 games he has played.  Was at the game last night so got to watch him live.  He has a very fast glove, quick lateral movement, and very confident when he comes out to challenge.  Seems to also be positionally sound.

You can't ask for much more from a goalie playing his first 2 games in the NHL.   So while we don't yet know if he is the goalie of the future, he hasn't done anything to make me think he can't be.

I'm happy with the way he has played and even if the games were meaningless, he's still proven a few very important aspects of goaltending that we haven't seen from our starter. He controls his rebounds well and he's played very square to the shooter and hasn't been caught of of position. Even in Pavelec's best games, he would still show these signs of weakness. 

To those who say we can't go into next season without a proven starting goalie, I understand the concern. I'm not anointing Hutchinson anything yet but he's right at the age where things start to come together for goalies and he's been very good in the AHL for a few years now. Most importantly, there is legitimately no statical way we can do worse than Pavelec and despite his wealth of experience, he has never proven he can be an even adequate starting goalie. 

Sample size is small but he passes the eye test.

Hutch's only two goals allowed in the NHL were ones Im sure he'd want back.  I admit I havent watched either game in its entirety but Hutch looks very technically sound, appears to have good positioning.  Good positioning and good technique will often reduce the need to be super athletic since you dont often have to make circus saves if you're always in the right place.  But he also shows good athleticism, a good glove, great patience and the fact he's 6'3" doesnt hurt.

I cant say the Jets have soured on Pasquale but they sure seem to value hutch more.  

I don't necessarily disagree but what exactly makes you say this? It's not as if they could have called up Pasquale now since he's out for the season and they only played Hutchinson when the season was already lost. 

Hutch played a strong game tonight with some key saves. The Flames second goal I thought looked weak as he flopped on his stomach & the puck went over top of him. However, he also made some great saves later. One late in the game at point blank range. 

Hutch played a strong game tonight with some key saves. The Flames second goal I thought looked weak as he flopped on his stomach & the puck went over top of him. However, he also made some great saves later. One late in the game at point blank range. 

The 2nd Flame goal was a 5 on 3 power play. Jets best defenders were out. Trouba got himself injured in the first period and Shotblocker Stuart was in the box. 

Jets didn't have much left to defend. A feeble midget named Toby Enstrom and an offensive defensman named Paul Postma. Hutch was in trouble from the getgo. In fact, the Flames 3rd and tying goal was scored on the same power play. 5 on 4.

Pavelec looks great on the 90% of shots he manages to stop but he looks stupid and out of control on the 10% which go thru him.

His stop average is barely 90% and he usually faces 30 to 35 shots nightly due to the Jets being not exactly a shut-down defensive team. Thus he's always letting in 3 to 4 a night.

I think they'll return Hutch to the Ice Caps - see how he does vs. the better AHL team(s) in the playoffs.

Cormier, Klingberg, couple others should be returned, too.

No "I think" or "should" - the players who were recalled from the Ice Caps will be returned for the playoffs.

For those calling the the games that Hutchinson has played meaningless, should ask him if they were meaningless. 

Flames played hard last night. They've had tremendous fan support all year with an overachieving hockey club & they really wanted to go out with a win. That game wasn't meaningless to Calgary. The last few minutes were intense. The crowd was really into it. For the Flames & Jets.

For those calling the the games that Hutchinson has played meaningless, should ask him if they were meaningless. 

Flames played hard last night. They've had tremendous fan support all year with an overachieving hockey club & they really wanted to go out with a win. That game wasn't meaningless to Calgary. The last few minutes were intense. The crowd was really into it. For the Flames & Jets.

Boston was playing for the Presidents Trophy, they wanted that game.

Yes, the last 2 games the Jets played vs Boston & Calgary weren't meaningless games to those teams. The Jets had to play hard to beat those teams & they did. Hutchinson did very well. That save on D'Agostino in the dying moments of the game vs the Flames was outstanding.

Guess thats why they put Rask and Chara in the press box, huh?

Guess thats why they put Rask and Chara in the press box, huh?

Don't knock Chad Johnson...