Expansion Draft Discussion

AKAChip

• 2 months later...

If I'm going to select today on who will be the protected players, here is my list:

Round 1:

QB: Hall

10 IMP:  Turner, Anderson, Dunn, Wild, Stewart, Washington, January, Kelly, Edwards, Woods

Round 2:

6 NIP: H.Muamba, Watson, Etienne, Kohlert, Greaves, Swiston

Round 3:

6 NIP: McKnight, Renaud, Labbe, Penser, Sorenson, Poblah, Volny

Its pretty early but those six NIs seem reasonable - but I would consider protecting Renaud or Palardy if one of them has a really big season.

The only untouchable is Henoc, after that, really everyone can be replaced to some degree.

You want to protect Palardy who is no longer here?

Its pretty early but those six NIs seem reasonable - but I would consider protecting Renaud or Palardy if one of them has a really big season.

The only untouchable is Henoc, after that, really everyone can be replaced to some degree.

He posted that on July 9th lol

He posted that on July 9th lol

ahhh...now that makes sense  :D

With Etienne, Foster, Kohlert and Muamba all due to free agents we really won't have many Canadians to protect.

You still need to protect them if you want to keep their rights until February.

You think Ottawa is going to take people in an expansion draft just so they can get their rights for a couple months? 

With Etienne, Foster, Kohlert and Muamba all due to free agents we really won't have many Canadians to protect.

You think Ottawa is going to take people in an expansion draft just so they can get their rights for a couple months?

Ottawa has said they don't plan to take potential FAs but if a top NI player was unprotected I can see them claiming him (and no I'm not saying Etienne, Foster or Kohlert are top NIs). It would be a risk - sometimes the risk is rewarded, sometimes it's not.

Probably a few at least, I'd think. Worth the risk.

With Etienne, Foster, Kohlert and Muamba all due to free agents we really won't have many Canadians to protect. Honestly, Ottawa might be forced to take Cauchy Muamba, Kito Poblah or Steve Morely off our hands.

On the other hand, Ottawa might think that these guys have all the reason to come out of Winnipeg, so they my take a gamble on picking our FAs.

Kyle Walters himself said when we traded for Foster that the thinking is you want as many expiring contracts as possible so you don't have to worry about protecting them. In a league with such obvious tampering having their rights until February doesn't mean much.

I am not sure about the logic of not protecting a group of players that will be FAs. I guess if you have an entire team of FAs the logic is you can't lose everyone? Interesting theory.

The logic is that Ottawa needs players NOW and isn't going to take the chance of these guys returning to their city in Feb without playing a single game for them.

So based in that you think unprotected potential FAs get a free pass and then you can protect the other players you want? Good luck rolling the dice on that bet.

Agreed, I've never bought into that logic.  Imagine being in the player's shoes.  Ottawa thinks enough of you to draft you without a contract and your current team doesn't think enough of you to protect you... which team is making you feel more wanted?  Never mind the fact that Ottawa will have exclusive negotiation rights for two months to hash out a contract, and we saw how much that was worth in the Mike Reilly acquisition.  The only situation where it would be really risky is when there is NFL interest in the player.  If the player is likely to keep playing in the CFL, and Ottawa drafts him, they are almost certainly going to be able to get him under contract.

So based in that you think unprotected potential FAs get a free pass and then you can protect the other players you want? Good luck rolling the dice on that bet.

Agreed, I've never bought into that logic.  Imagine being in the player's shoes.  Ottawa thinks enough of you to draft you without a contract and your current team doesn't think enough of you to protect you... which team is making you feel more wanted?  Never mind the fact that Ottawa will have exclusive negotiation rights for two months to hash out a contract, and we saw how much that was worth in the Mike Reilly acquisition.  The only situation where it would be really risky is when there is NFL interest in the player.  If the player is likely to keep playing in the CFL, and Ottawa drafts him, they are almost certainly going to be able to get him under contract.

Exactly.

I'm not buying this logic either. At all.