New CBA

“That eight-year proposal is ridiculous,” said a team union rep. “The rest of their proposal – All the (league) did was follow the same model as before, with some minor salary cap increases of $100,000 a year.”

So the league offered exactly what I suggested they should offer. Funny! And here I was being told I wasn't even close with my initial offer. I guess all the business experts here need to study up a little bit to get on my level. :)

Well not to be an ass buy you were inplying thats what it would be and as you can see, thats the first offer.. The badgering between the 2 will leave that number in the dust im sure..

“That eight-year proposal is ridiculous,” said a team union rep. “The rest of their proposal – All the (league) did was follow the same model as before, with some minor salary cap increases of $100,000 a year.”

So the league offered exactly what I suggested they should offer. Funny! And here I was being told I wasn't even close with my initial offer. I guess all the business experts here need to study up a little bit to get on my level. :)

Well not to be an ass buy you were inplying thats what it would be and as you can see, thats the first offer.. The badgering between the 2 will leave that number in the dust im sure..

BS, I implied no such thing.  I said that's what my offer would be if I was the league.  Not my fault if you read something that wasn't there.

BS, I implied no such thing. I said that's what my offer would be if I was the league. Not my fault if you read something that wasn't there.

Adding the line "more then fair" after your offer implies to me that is what you believe it should be.. Just sayin.

BS, I implied no such thing. I said that's what my offer would be if I was the league. Not my fault if you read something that wasn't there.

Adding the line "more then fair" after your offer implies to me that is what you believe it should be.. Just sayin.

I said exactly what I meant to say, and you are reading more into it than what is there.  Like I said, not my fault.

Ya you're a real hero Atomic...

I couldn't agree more.

This deal will get done... It would be nice to see a little more money go in these players pockets... that's what I respect about the CFL, it's the "Blue Collar" pro sports league.... these guys work hard but they don't make much more than the average professional that works just as hard

@ArashMadani: BREAKING: In aftermath of Sportsnet's #CFL / CFLPA story, Mark Cohon has threatened fining teams $100,000 for public comments on CBA issues.

Sure. Smilin' Mark actually fine a team? What if Braley & Wettenhall tell him to go shove it?? Which is what I'd think would happen if he tried that. 

Nah, league revenues flow through the Mark*man's office and he knows how to use a calculator.

You're thinking Mark's only a semi-Cohon in the punctuation of league politics, but he does have some powers and backing amongst the owners, and I really don't think the boys want to snub the hand that feeds them.

Remember former CFL Commisioner Mike Lysko & his insistence that the CFL cancel their weekend games immediately after 9/11 but the Board of Governors didn't want to, especially Braley, Asper & Wettenhall? Lysko as Commish had the power to do what he did which was to cancel the weekend games & he did so.It was the right decision, I believe but for all intents & purposes he was a dead man walking after that as those 3 got him removed as CFL Commissioner after the 2001 season ended. So yeah, Cohon has the power to fine teams but he'll make a lot of enemies handing out fines like that to teams that need every penny of revenue to survive. As well as embarrass the hell out of the owners. He'd be gone within the next year. 

Remember former CFL Commisioner Mike Lysko & his insistence that the CFL cancel their weekend games immediately after 9/11 but the Board of Governors didn't want to, especially Braley, Asper & Wettenhall? Lysko as Commish had the power to do what he did which was to cancel the weekend games & he did so.It was the right decision, I believe but for all intents & purposes he was a dead man walking after that as those 3 got him removed as CFL Commissioner after the 2001 season ended. So yeah, Cohon has the power to fine teams but he'll make a lot of enemies handing out fines like that to teams that need every penny of revenue to survive. As well as embarrass the hell out of the owners. He'd be gone within the next year. 

I think his public comments towards the Argos had more to do with him being fired than him doing away with those games.

I read a story years ago where Asper was indignant about the games being cancelled. Wettenhall & Braey were lukewarm on hiring Lysko to begin with & the actions he took to cancel the games pushed them over the edge. But IIRC it was Lysko getting Asper angry & aligning himself with the other 2 that precipitated his being fired. Bottom line as Alison Redford is finding out, you may think you may are the boss but you serve at the pleasure of caucus. Lose them & you are done. In this case, the BOG's. If Cohon starts fining teams heavy handedly, he'll be out of a job.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Penton, there is disention in the ranks of the players association. 

Of course there is, guys who make what most of the players in the CFL make can't afford to be missing paycheques with a work stoppage. They'll just want to get a deal done and play football and get their paycheque. Pretty easy to say "yeah **** it let's wait out the year" when you hauled in millions the previous season, much harder when you're only making tens of thousands. 

@scratchingpost: BREAKING: Have learned that #Alouettes Scott Flory is new president of #CFLPA. Replaces Mike Morreale. #CFL #Ticats

That's interesting. Morreale was elected less than 2 years ago. I guess the talk of dissension in the ranks was true for him to be replaced at this time.

@scratchingpost: BREAKING: Have learned that #Alouettes Scott Flory is new president of #CFLPA. Replaces Mike Morreale. #CFL #Ticats

That is interesting and leads to a lot of conjecture as to what was real and what was only on their wish list. 

Was seeking advice and direction from the Big Boys such as Don Fehr too much?

What about this statement, made barely two weeks ago? :

We are as strong as we’ve ever been — if not stronger,” union president Mike Morreale said, Thursday. “People see that there’s a lot of positive things going on in the CFL. And they feel the timing is right. They’ve rallied together. They see good things on the horizon.” 

And now Morreale's gone and Flory is in. That was fast. 

There must be a moral in there somewhere.