What I miss from the Good Ole Days

BigBlue

Jack Matheson's Saturday column in the Winnipeg Tribune was a "must read".... The guy was just a brilliant columnist. One of the all time  best. Don Blanchard in the Freep was outstanding as well. I would hope anyone old enough to remember those 2 guys covering the Bombers in rival papers would agree with me.

Iso - we can't talk about how great things used to be or the sad-sack police aka Noeller and 17 will cry and whine. All I'm going to say is, we were really spoiled back then, especially when you look at some of the pathetic excuses for journalists we have now covering the Bombers. Penton is about the only one who seems to at least give a crap.

I miss Charles Roberts. Man that guy was fun to watch. I still remember watching in awe and amazement as D-linemen and linebackers whiffed and grabbed air as he just cut right by them, scampering for 20 and 30 yards at a pop. I still don't forgive that Diamond Ferri clown for pile driving him into the turf a few years ago. I am so glad we didn't sign that d-bag. It would have been like signing Adriano "Nut Punch" Belli.

I miss Section S.  The fun we had in there... being in Section S made a lot of really mediocre Bomber teams watchable...

On second thought, I miss spending the entire 2nd half of most games getting Wickman to eat the corn and ride the pony, chanting "cell phones suck," and trying to string together consecutive games of getting drunk girls to show their ****

I miss Section V Row 29, Seats 11 & 12 at Canad Inns where my season tickets for the Bombers were from 1974-89 until I moved to Calgary. Never missed one single game in that time. Even with my oldest son being born in Oct' 86. He was born 2 days before a home  game on a Friday & my wife said it was okay to go to the game on Sunday.... God bless her!!! I was handing out cigars to everyone & high fiving people who were season ticket holders around me.... Hah, we smoked out everyone in Sec V & W above us. Gave out about 20 cigars that game.... My wife & I had season tickets together. I took my best friend to the game that day. Never forget it.

I still don't forgive that Diamond Ferri clown for pile driving him into the turf a few years ago.

Come on now.  It was a German suplex. /wrestlingnerd

I haven't forgiven it either.

There was a poster on Bomber forums that had a signature that simply read "Ed Philion is a piece of garbage.", later updated with "Diamond Ferri is a piece of garbage."  If I ever get the opportunity to meet that poster I would love to shake their hand.

I miss Section V Row 29, Seats 11 & 12 at Canad Inns where my season tickets for the Bombers were from 1974-89 until I moved to Calgary. Never missed one single game in that time. Even with my oldest son being born in Oct' 86. He was born 2 days before a home  game on a Friday & my wife said it was okay to go to the game on Sunday.... God bless her!!! I was handing out cigars to everyone & high fiving people who were season ticket holders around me.... Hah, we smoked out everyone in Sec V & W above us. Gave out about 20 cigars that game.... My wife & I had season tickets together. I took my best friend to the game that day. Never forget it.

Was that the game where the Bombers destroyed the Argos? I remember Huffer kicking major ass in that game. I also remember our section chanting "Bring on the Bears!!" We should have gone to the Cup that year, but Kehoe fumbled on the one yard line in the West semi and that was it. Edmonton ended up getting crushed in the Grey Cup, but it was a great learning experience for their two upstart QB kids, Matt Dunigan and Damon Allen.

I'm going recent, but I really feel bad we couldn't win a Grey Cup in 2001 for guys like Khari, Milt, Charlie, Brown and Bobby G.

2002 I still think was the year they should have won it, but man you lose Stegall before the playoffs, Roberts gets hurt on the first play of the game in the west final, I think Doug Brown was playing with a high ankle sprain too... just too many of the stars hurt at the worst time. 

Was that the game where the Bombers destroyed the Argos? I remember Huffer kicking major ass in that game. I also remember our section chanting "Bring on the Bears!!" We should have gone to the Cup that year, but Kehoe fumbled on the one yard line in the West semi and that was it. Edmonton ended up getting crushed in the Grey Cup, but it was a great learning experience for their two upstart QB kids, Matt Dunigan and Damon Allen.

I just know whenever the Riders came to town back then, we'd kill them & shut down the Flame after about 10 minutes. I remember a 61-7 pasting in 1984 with that guy & his flame thrower on the top of his head sitting very quietly in his seat barely moving being taunted by Bomber fans.... And the same game 2 Rider fans were running with this huge Rider banner that got stomped & ripped up by the Winnipeg Stadium crowd.... 

I'm going recent, but I really feel bad we couldn't win a Grey Cup in 2001 for guys like Khari, Milt, Charlie, Brown and Bobby G.

2002 I still think was the year they should have won it, but man you lose Stegall before the playoffs, Roberts gets hurt on the first play of the game in the west final, I think Doug Brown was playing with a high ankle sprain too... just too many of the stars hurt at the worst time. 

And the crazy thing was, had Chad Plummer not dropped that deep pass on the final drive we probably kick a field goal to force overtime. Quite the accomplishment considering the score at the half.

And the crazy thing was, had Chad Plummer not dropped that deep pass on the final drive we probably kick a field goal to force overtime. Quite the accomplishment considering the score at the half.

Yeah after the way that game started and the guys that were missing to get that game within 3 was an accomplishment. 2001 they obviously should have won but 2002 to me hurts more just because I think it was a much more dangerous team and really the last legitimately top teir team they really had. The offense could seemingly score at will, the defense was still solid. Haven't seen a team with balance like that since I don't think. 

Jack Matheson's Saturday column in the Winnipeg Tribune was a "must read".... The guy was just a brilliant columnist. One of the all time  best. Don Blanchard in the Freep was outstanding as well. I would hope anyone old enough to remember those 2 guys covering the Bombers in rival papers would agree with me.

Iso - we can't talk about how great things used to be or the sad-sack police aka Noeller and 17 will cry and whine. All I'm going to say is, we were really spoiled back then, especially when you look at some of the pathetic excuses for journalists we have now covering the Bombers. Penton is about the only one who seems to at least give a crap.

Don't care what those guys say as they were great journalists & had the team covered like a blanket. We know. ;)

Yeah after the way that game started and the guys that were missing to get that game within 3 was an accomplishment. 2001 they obviously should have won but 2002 to me hurts more just because I think it was a much more dangerous team and really the last legitimately top teir team they really had. The offense could seemingly score at will, the defense was still solid. Haven't seen a team with balance like that since I don't think. 

I remember that 2002 team; after we had destroyed (the Lions I think?) at home and we're getting ready to head to EDM, journalists from around the league we're calling us the scariest team in the league, much better than the 2001 team that whiffed the Grey Cup. 

I remember most of this as a young child...

I miss when making the playoffs was viewed as a foregone conclusion..what was it?  Close to 20 years in a row? 

I miss all those Grey Cup victories we had in the 80s

I miss all the end-of-season awards individual Bombers won - 5 Most Outstanding Player Awards in an 8 year stretch in the 80s; 4 most Oustanding Canadian Awards in an 8 year stretch, 4 Most Outstanding O-Line Awards in an 8-year stretch in the 80s; 3 Most Outstanding Defensive Player Awards in a 7 year stretch in the 80s/early 90s...man, did the Bomber ever rack up awards in those days.  It seemed to be the norm rather than the exception that it is today.

I miss when making the playoffs was viewed as a foregone conclusion..what was it?  Close to 20 years in a row? 

I miss all the end-of-season awards individual Bombers won - 5 Most Outstanding Player Awards in an 8 year stretch in the 80s; 4 most Oustanding Canadian Awards in an 8 year stretch, 4 Most Outstanding O-Line Awards in an 8-year stretch in the 80s; 3 Most Outstanding Defensive Player Awards in a 7 year stretch in the 80s/early 90s...man, did the Bomber ever rack up awards in those days.  It seemed to be the norm rather than the exception that it is today.

All?  You mean all 2 the Bombers won in the 80's?  Sorry, you just made it sound like we won 4 or 5 Grey Cups in the 80's.

All?  You mean all 2 the Bombers won in the 80's?  Sorry, you just made it sound like we won 4 or 5 Grey Cups in the 80's.

Now don't be sad cuz two out of 10 ain't bad. 

We should have won 4 or 5 with teams we had back then. 1983 was the first year we should have won, instead of 1984. And 1985-7 as well. We had some kick-arse teams in those days. And the one in 1990 was technically a 1990's cup. Then there were all those cups in the 00's....not...

We should have won 4 or 5 with teams we had back then. 1983 was the first year we should have won, instead of 1984. And 1985-7 as well. We had some kick-arse teams in those days. And the one in 1990 was technically a 1990's cup. Then there were all those cups in the 00's....not...

We had great teams in 1980, 81 & 82 under Jauch but we'd always find a way to lose in the playoffs to the Esks & Lions. Same with our teams from 1985 thru 87. We just could never win the final game we played in all those years. The 80's was a great decade for the team. 

Oh I'm not knocking it just kind of chuckling at the wording. Trust me. I'd take one every ten years at this point.

Oh I'm not knocking it just kind of chuckling at the wording. Trust me. I'd take one every ten years at this point.

With apologies to Meat Loaf.

I miss when making the playoffs was viewed as a foregone conclusion..what was it?  Close to 20 years in a row? I miss all those Grey Cup victories we had in the 80s

With apologies to Meat Loaf.

Oh I would do anything for a Grey Cup. But I won't do that. No I won't do that.

Actually I would.