Stamps extend Tate and Mitchell

IC Khari

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=441169

One less team in the Collaros sweepstakes ...

well, they were not in the sweepstakes from the beginning. they got BLM who is better than Collaros and 2 vet backups in Tate and McPherson.

A few possoble scenarios would be that Hufnagel either believes a little bit more in Tate that some posters I've read here, or it's simply an insurance tactic or a bargaining chip to use with other teams.

I think lots of people are making assumptions that Tate won't be the starter. What indication has Hufnagel ever given that Tate isn't ahead of Mitchell on the depth chart. As soon as Tate was off the IR Mitchell didn't see the field again that I can recall.

I still think Tate will eventually be traded. With a new contract teams know he'll be around for awhile. I just can't see Tate being happy backing up BLM if he wins the starting job. At the same time, I can't see BLM happy being on the bench if he feels he is ready to start. For the short term, this provides stability for  the Stampeders but I can't see this being a long term thing.

Why the hell did McPherson sign there? I've always said the guy is in the game to collect a paycheque. Why play when he can collect the pay? He was happy backing up AC for years. Now he'll be happy backing up Tate & BLM... if he even makes it to training camp. Won't be surprised if he's cut.

Why the hell did McPherson sign there? I've always said the guy is in the game to collect a paycheque. Why play when he can collect the pay? He was happy backing up AC for years. Now he'll be happy backing up Tate & BLM... if he even makes it to training camp. Won't be surprised if he's cut.

Probably because he wants to play professional football? 

I see Hufnagel bringing in McPherson as insurance.

He has Tate and Bo but, as we all know, Tate has had physical problems, and that would leave only Mitchell as his go to QB.

Hufnagel has learned to stock his QB cupboard with guys who have had some experience and there are not too many who can hold that clipboard as well as McPherson.

It's a good move by Hufnagel for Calgary.

Let's see how Austin handles his situation for Hamilton.

Probably because he wants to play professional football? 

That's not playing. More like standing. 

Something about Austin. He seems confident but arrogant. Like no matter who plays in his system he thinks he will win. I can also see him eat Dan LeFevour alive if he falters as the starter in Hamilton & they lose some games they should have won. Hank at times felt his wrath but I also think he let it roll off his back most time because he's been around for so long.

Why would they sign him to only cut him in training camp?

Why wouldn't you want him as a third stringer? He's good on short yardage , knows the league and has good athletic ability.

Great move by the stamps.

The Stamps may want to go in a different direction now that Tate & BLM are under contract. Maybe Huff signed McPherson  thinking he may lose one of those guys. Just because a player is under contract in January doesn't mean he'll make it to training camp. I agree it is a good move but in the CFL nothing is written in stone. 

The Stamps may want to go in a different direction now that Tate & BLM are under contract. Maybe Huff signed McPherson  thinking he may lose one of those guys. Just because a player is under contract in January doesn't mean he'll make it to training camp. I agree it is a good move but in the CFL nothing is written in stone. 

Why would Hufnagel think he might lose either Tate or Mitchell?

Not lose, Jacquie. Trade. As in trade Drew Tate. The only sure thing I see is that BLM is the only qb who will certainly be with the Stamps for the long term. He's 23 with a huge upside. Tate's 29. He has had injury troubles, has probably reached his full potential as a player & can be a hot head on the field. The Stamps can get a lot for him in a trade when they believe that BLM is ready to  be a full time starter. On the flip side, maybe McPherson 30, is the one ultimately let go. With two & perhaps 3 starting qbs, things are going to be interesting again in Calgary.

Not lose, Jacquie. Trade. As in trade Drew Tate. The only sure thing I see is that BLM is the only qb who will certainly be with the Stamps for the long term. He's 23 with a huge upside. Tate's 29. He has had injury troubles, has probably reached his full potential as a player & can be a hot head on the field. The Stamps can get a lot for him in a trade when they believe that BLM is ready to  be a full time starter. On the flip side, maybe McPherson 30, is the one ultimately let go. With two & perhaps 3 starting qbs, things are going to be interesting again in Calgary.

Read your other post. You said lose, not trade.

I still would like to know what Hufnagel has said or done that makes people think Mitchell is ahead of Tate on the depth chart.

Jacquie, please read my post from 5:18 pm yesterday where I speculated Drew Tate would eventually be traded. Hufnagel refuses to say if Tate is the starter. Whenever he is asked by the media who is the starter he says he has a few months yet to consider his options. Both Tate & BLM said yesterday in separate interviews on CHQR radio that they expect to go to camp & do the best they can do to compete for the starting qb spot. Huff hasn't made any mention of a pecking order at all this off season as to who is the starter & who isn't. It looks to be a real competition this coming June starting at training camp. 

Read your other post. You said lose, not trade.

I still would like to know what Hufnagel has said or done that makes people think Mitchell is ahead of Tate on the depth chart.

Iso just doesn't like Tate so therefore it's BLM all the way. He does that from time to time, projects his owns opinions as being shared by the GMs around the league. 

Simple fact is that Hufnagel has treated Tate like his starter a hell of a lot even when Glenn was playing well and Tate was always getting injured. Just don't see Calgary starting the season with anyone but Tate behind centre.