Just imagine if this happened...

gbill2004

If they trade for Collaros they are going all out to sign him too. Very hard to imagine a circumstance where Collaros would balk at the chance to start and earning starting money with 2+ months to negotiate. This isn't like Reilly where Wally put a gun to everyone's head 3 weeks before free agency.

Irving & Penton thought Bombers could trade for Collaros then he decides to test free agency to see how much Ottawa is willing to offer.

If they trade for Collaros they are going all out to sign him too. Very hard to imagine a circumstance where Collaros would balk at the chance to start and earning starting money with 2+ months to negotiate. This isn't like Reilly where Wally put a gun to everyone's head 3 weeks before free agency.

Irving & Penton thought Bombers could trade for Collaros then he decides to test free agency to see how much Ottawa is willing to offer.

Why would Ottawa take that gamble?  Ottawa will have a starting quarterback long before February 15.  They need to sell tickets.  Collaros could decide to wait for a NFL contract too. :unsure:

Bombers trade for Collaros as a free agent.

Bombers protect Collaros in the expansion draft.

Ottawa takes Max Hall in the expansion draft.

Bombers unable to sign Collaros and he signs with another team.

Bombers left with Goltz & Boltus at QB.

Your post started out so well, too.

If Ottawa takes Max Hall, we get to protect two more NIs, which means our 7th and 8th best NIs stay with the team. Up to you decide whether or not that's a good thing.

We have to have a legitimate starting qb. This team is dead without one. We have just got to find one, trade for one or sign a free agent.

If they trade they are going to make sure he will sign with the Bombers the deal will be done as soon as the trade happens.

Penton just said there's no guarantee that happens.

I don't see why any reasonable player would sign before free agency when they can drive their value up. For Mike Reilly, Edmonton was the only team he felt he had a shot at starting seeing as Joe Mack didn't exactly make his interest known. Completely different situation here with Collaros, I bet at least us, Ottawa and Hamilton will all be vying for him.

As for the possibility of Ottawa actually taking Max Hall, I'm not sure if you're more crazy for thinking that might happen or for believing that would actually be an issue.

If Ottawa takes Max Hall, we get to protect two more NIs, which means our 7th and 8th best NIs stay with the team. Up to you decide whether or not that's a good thing.

Yeah I remember listening to the Ottawa people on the radio one time during the season and they were talking about how it'd have to be an absolute sure thing at qb because they felt like it might be more worthwhile to be able to have access to more NIs rather than taking a qb and letting teams protect other NIs. Seems they were keen to go the FA route for qbs. 

LOL.  Kevin Glenn, Drew Tate, Drew Willy, Zach Collaros, Henry Burris, Dan LeFevour, Troy Smith, Thomas DeMarco.  I would guess that at least 4-5 of these QB's will be available for Ottawa to select or sign via FA, depending on who Hamilton decides to protect; and if Winnipeg and/or Montreal decides to trade for one of them prior to the expansion draft.

Given what's available, my thoughts are that if Ottawa's looking for QBing potential, they'll look to that group before they look to any of the leaders of the CFL's worst offense.