Chris Williams situation solved

Jpan85

Ticats.ca Staff

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats, the CFL, the CFLPA and Chris Williams have reached a settlement of all outstanding matters.

Effective immediately, Mr. Williams is free to attempt to sign with an NFL team. Should Mr. Williams decide that he wants to play in the CFL for the 2013 and 2014 seasons, he has entered into an agreement to play for Hamilton.

Would be funny if he does not get a NFL tryout and has to crawl back to the Ti-Cats.

Nice compromise, but how does that fit within the CBA?  Why can't any other player just hold out and say, "don't worry, if I play in the CFL, I'll play for you."

I envision some kind of "option-year", where the player can try out for the NFL while a CFL team maintains his CFL rights.

What a ridiculous concept. Would never happen in the CFL!

;)

Nice compromise, but how does that fit within the CBA?  Why can't any other player just hold out and say, "don't worry, if I play in the CFL, I'll play for you."

I envision some kind of "option-year", where the player can try out for the NFL while a CFL team maintains his CFL rights.

No kidding.  This situation and the ones we've had recently with new imports could have been avoided if the league could have just left well enough alone.  The number of players the league lost to the option year window paled in comparison to the number of guys who came up here thinking "I'll play a year up there and be back in the NFL next year" but ended up playing several seasons in the CFL.  The fact that guys have to lock themselves in for at least 2 seasons is a disincentive.

A bigger disincentive is for wannabee players to work at Walmart waiting for their NFL  break. The CFL will always be here.The loohole with Williams will be closed this off season. Only CFLPA certified agents will be used to represent players.... Williams found a loophole & took advantage of it. Yeah, he had to wait but because of it no CFL GM in their right mind will deal with a non certified agent from now on.

A bigger disincentive is for wannabee players to work at Walmart waiting for their NFL  break. The CFL will always be here.The loohole with Williams will be closed this off season. Only CFLPA certified agents will be used to represent players.... Williams found a loophole & took advantage of it. Yeah, he had to wait but because of it no CFL GM in their right mind will deal with a non certified agent from now on.

He didn't exactly win, he has to try to sign with an NFL team and Hamilton still has him for next season if he wants to play in the CFL(when he otherwise would've been a free agent).

I think he lost. Couldn't sign with an NFL team in the off season so he missed OTA's & training camp. Now, rosters are set. If an injury comes up he can sign but he isn't in game shape like other returners. And in the NFL the return game is disminished. He's in tough. I think his agent gave him some real bad advice. He's missed an entire season paycheque so far.

This is not why Williams was able to get his contract cancelled... They cancelled his contract because Hamilton sent him a P.O.S. boilerplate letter saying they were taking the option on his contract and a judge found that their P.O.S. letter was insufficient.

So most likely every single player who was in the option year of their contract this year in Hamilton could have had their contract annulled for the exact same reason.

i hate this ruling.

the judge found the TiCats letter notifying Williams that they were exercising their right (as expressed in his bleeping contract!) to his option year insufficiant...

what in the tapdancing **** were they supposed to do that would be sufficiant?

send him an invitation engraved on a silver plate written in gothic caligraphy in iambic pentameter?

bullbleep. 

i hate this ruling.

the judge found the TiCats letter notifying Williams that they were exercising their right (as expressed in his bleeping contract!) to his option year insufficiant...

send him an invitation engraved on a silver plate written in gothic caligraphy in iambic pentameter?

bullbleep. 

Here's the thing about that letter, if you knew absolutely nothing whatsoever about football contracts and the CFL the intent of that letter wasn't even close to clear in what was happening.

I think the judge threw the letter out on that basis.

However, if you have any clue how contracts work in the CFL, w.r.t. teams exercising the option year in a contract and what that means, the intent of the letter becomes more clear.  Although this new clarity is only because we know WHY the letter is being sent (we know the background information).

i hate this ruling.

bullbleep. 

Irony being the ruling proved Wms. agent to be a liar as the first version of their argument they peddled was they received no notification.

i hate this ruling.

bullbleep. 

Irony being the ruling proved Wms. agent to be a liar as the first version of their argument they peddled was they received no notification.

You could take the interpretation that Williams was confused by the letter he received and didn't realize it was his notification (which the court's eventually agreed that the letter was insufficient due to its lack of clarity)

The court's interpretation was that Williams in effect did not receive notification..