Penton: Show Henoc the money

Mike

Original story found here: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/06/03/blue-bombers-should-show-middle-linebacker-henoc-muamba-the-money

Middle linebacker Henoc Muamba is hopeful a contract extension between him and the Bombers will be worked out at some point in the next eight months.

Muamba is entering his option year, and as the first overall draft pick in 2011 and the heart of the defence it would be wise for the Blue and Gold to get his name on a new deal ASAP.

He already turned down a generous offer in the off-season, according to a CFL source, but he wants to return.

“It’s getting taken care of,” Muamba said. “Hopefully the sooner the better, obviously, but it’s just a matter of being patient. I can’t worry about that right now.

“My thing is to make myself the best player I can be, and then at the end of the day if I can do that I can help the team as well. So that’s my goal right now. I know the rest is going to take care of itself.”

Muamba said the fact the Bombers signed his older brother to play safety makes him want to stay in Winnipeg even more.

“Absolutely. I love playing with my brother,” Muamba said. “Him being here makes me even more comfortable if I wasn’t already, which I was. But it definitely helps.

“I love that Winnipeg did that. I don’t think it was just for me, because I believe that he’s a great player and is a great acquisition for the team. I’m happy that things worked out that way.”

Muamba said he feels “far ahead” and “so much more comfortable” in his role than this time last year. Head coach Tim Burke now wants him to take the next step.

“He just barely has scratched the surface of what he can be,” Burke said. “He started off like a rookie last year, but as the year went along he turned into a solid football player. Now I want that solid football player to start making plays outside of his responsibility, and that’s what a great linebacker does.”

Loving that Henoc wants to be here. No doubt in my mind that if he wants to be, he will be. Maybe it's not done yet but I'm super confident that we'll extend him.

I would find it almost impossible to believe that he would get even anywhere near a point where he would be a FA. Even if the organization has a (somewhat unjustified) reputation for being cheap, Henoc is essentially the guy I would figure that they would be willing to spend the most on at any position other than QB for obvious reasons. I have some fears that he would try the NFL after another successful season but locking him up for big bucks would certainly help put those fears to bed.

He's a cornerstone talent within this organization - a deal will get done.  It's also refreshing to see that he wants to be here (or it appears that way).  Good things are happening with the club right now and I'd hate to see our young Canadians jump ship (or be allowed to walk).

That .. and I'm rocking a new Muamba jersey this season .. I'd hate for it to be a one year investment.  :lol:

We have time on our side with this now.  Hopefully a deal gets done in the next few months.  If this deal doesn't get done until the offseason, then I start to worry a bit.

This would be a typical Taman move .. allowing cornerstone non-imports to go into the offseason without being extended.  I think, if we've learned anything from Mack to date, it's that he's proactive about locking up (what he feels to be) key players.  Look at the Watson, Poblah and Greaves extensions .. I'm pretty sure a deal will get done.

agree we need to lock him up asap. he will be a long term ratio-buster for us.

btw, have you guys noticed on the TC depth chart that Stephan is under mlb, is he competing with Labbe for Henoc's backup?

I think the hope is that he will push Labbe and eventually be that siutational linebacker (spelling Muamba etc).  If I remember correctly, Stephan was having a good season last year until he went down due to injury.

I could see Henoc holding off re-signing until midway through the season, if he continues to improve his contract value will only go up. Hopefully he gets re-upped with a long term deal not just a 1+1, thus avoiding this issue again after 2014.

I could see Henoc holding off re-signing until midway through the season, if he continues to improve his contract value will only go up. Hopefully he gets re-upped with a long term deal not just a 1+1, thus avoiding this issue again after 2014.

any risk of him trying the NFL route?

any risk of him trying the NFL route?

Don't know, but from the sound of it, he wants to be here for at least under another contract term.

Probably, if we wait too long. If he doesn't have an extension by the end of the season why wouldn't he test the NFL? IMO the longer we wait to get this done the more chance there is of this having a bad outcome for us.

just keep Henoc away from those Saskatchewan farm girls....

They have to  offer him a 1 + 1 now, thanks to Chris Williams, remember....  before they can offer him anything else...

Lots of people are going to bring up this "you have to offer a 1+1" thing but the fact of the matter is it means nothing unless it is NOT offered. If you simply forget to offer it, then you're in trouble. But there's nothing to stop you from offering it under terms that a player would be idiotic to agree to.

Teams will simply offer a reduced salary option for a 1+1 as opposed to a 2+1

I'm not sure what happened, but all I meant was that I want Henoc signed long term. Guess the Chris Willimas decision has a bleeding effect on this site.