3 stars plus hh a tale of two half’s

wbbfan

41 minutes ago, Booch said:

for one...the fact we dumped Mack III...traded away Wilcotts and lost Hansen and rolled thru last part of season and wore/bagged out the Jeffs, and augmented them with useless pickup from Sask for one...and had nobody on roster/PR to help out...and our dline play and QB pressure fell right off a cliff and killed us...theres a good one

Also midway in yr he made a odd roster move...even mentioned it in press when he deleted 2 dlineman off roster and said he "wanted to try something out"....it failed pretty much right from get go....and never addressed it

Yes Leggz...had no competition...and he cost us several games

This yr...over abundance of globals on the pr...especially when you have Hansen about to be back, further adding to the excess of guys who will never see the roster....instead of grooming a DT....or another end....we had 2 guys that we could be developing who showed promise in case of injury...especially when we have one who cant stay healthy...What if WJ goes down....then Jeffcoat...whos up next?....Bennett fulltime, and move Walker outside....that would be super awesome...and useless

Sure we have had success....won a couple cups.....but we also had some pretty key luck....and almost won despite not having certain depth, only because we had a vet laden roster, and a couple right superstars....I like Osh as coach...but to ignore the warts and think everything is peachy keen would make us an ignorant Rider fan....

Wilcotts was traded to address a need in the secondary. I don't consider that poor roster management at all. We traded Wilcotts out and got in Darby and then added DE depth from the Riders. Hansen's injury has thrown a bit of a monkey wrench into both our DL depth, and the need to keep another Global on the PR because you have to dress two globals now so one has to be on the PR pretty much. I agree we need to be looking at more DL depth though, but that's more a Walter's failure than a roster management failure. What do we do if either of the Jeffs go down, we go scrap heaping and air lifting. There are some decent DE's that are a phone call away. Just because we don't have one currently signed doesn't prohibit that as a back up plan. That is not to say there hasn't been some head scratching moves like PRing the 36 year old kicker, just that it isn't all doom and gloom because currently we don't see the options that Walters might. 

We are sitting here talking roster management, and yes MOS does make some odd choices at times.....I thought that keeping McRae in when Demski returned was odd. However, the game plan soon corrected my misgivings. As for DL management, you can't put that on MOS....who should he dress?

Edited by GCn20

35 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It's not abusing the rule if it's allowed. Plain and simple.

his stubbornness  for whatever reason is making him not use it to the max like every other coach....why....anyones guess is as good as mine but it's pointless...so may as well utilize it for the betterment of the squad

47 minutes ago, Blue In BC said:

I've been wondering why we've kept Machino on the PR for a 2nd year. I don't think he's a possible OT candidate and we have import PR players for that. Our Guard back ups are Canadians so that's covered.

I think Karamoko is not a bad back up if you need a global player to add but he hasn't moved ahead of import starters at DB and we have 3 imports on our IR.

When Hansen comes back from IR, that will bump Mauro to the PR. Then what?

As mentioned our DL depth on the PR is near zero at the moment. Only Fox is there.  It was not good in 2022 so I think it's fair to take exception about some of the roster management.

Why are we keeping a 36 year old punter on the PR?

Machino been here 3 yrs now....and will never supplant a starter, as who backs him up then if he goes down?...so him being kept is a waste...Karamoko has huge upside/potential...and for the dearth of LB's we have on gameday roster...and Athletic DB ...big bodied one at that would be just as useful on teams and occasional defensive snap than Mauro...plus be depth at the db spot in case of injury/poor play...and when Hansen back...we prob hold even more globals on the PR for whatever reason instead of filing it with guys we could use/develop who could have an impact on the roster...thats what.....so yeah foolish and poor allocation of raster assets any way u slice it 

32 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Wilcotts was traded to address a need in the secondary. I don't consider that poor roster management at all. We traded Wilcotts out and got in Darby and then added DE depth from the Riders. Hansen's injury has thrown a bit of a monkey wrench into both our DL depth, and the need to keep another Global on the PR because you have to dress two globals now so one has to be on the PR pretty much. I agree we need to be looking at more DL depth though, but that's more a Walter's failure than a roster management failure. What do we do if either of the Jeffs go down, we go scrap heaping and air lifting. There are some decent DE's that are a phone call away. Just because we don't have one currently signed doesn't prohibit that as a back up plan. That is not to say there hasn't been some head scratching moves like PRing the 36 year old kicker, just that it isn't all doom and gloom because currently we don't see the options that Walters might. 

We are sitting here talking roster management, and yes MOS does make some odd choices at times.....I thought that keeping McRae in when Demski returned was odd. However, the game plan soon corrected my misgivings. As for DL management, you can't put that on MOS....who should he dress?

its poor when you dont replace him tho...and wear out your other ends you still have...and that depth from the Riders was worse than what we released in Mack III..there are 3 globals on the roster....2 of whom are basically a waste of space (OL and Punter) and when Hansen is back...we will have 4 on the PR most likely

Fox could dress....But he also cut loose all the imports we had in camp as well....Fox I bet too could give us more than Walker does....but seeing as he is in his 3rd yr here kicking around...he got spot by default....

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

his stubbornness  for whatever reason is making him not use it to the max like every other coach....why....anyones guess is as good as mine but it's pointless...so may as well utilize it for the betterment of the squad

Machino been here 3 yrs now....and will never supplant a starter, as who backs him up then if he goes down?...so him being kept is a waste...Karamoko has huge upside/potential...and for the dearth of LB's we have on gameday roster...and Athletic DB ...big bodied one at that would be just as useful on teams and occasional defensive snap than Mauro...plus be depth at the db spot in case of injury/poor play...and when Hansen back...we prob hold even more globals on the PR for whatever reason instead of filing it with guys we could use/develop who could have an impact on the roster...thats what.....so yeah foolish and poor allocation of raster assets any way u slice it 

Yeah, I mentioned in TC that I liked Karamoko. The problem was once we added a global kicker that only left one position for another global. As soon as Hansen returns that spot will be filled by him. If not for injuries we've had a LB, Karamoko could have been the other global on the AR instead of Maruo. OTOH I kind of like Maruo as well.

I guess we'll see if we drop any global players once Hansen is re-inserted to the AR. We don't need 4 on the PR to cover 2 spots.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

its poor when you dont replace him tho...and wear out your other ends you still have...and that depth from the Riders was worse than what we released in Mack III..there are 3 globals on the roster....2 of whom are basically a waste of space (OL and Punter) and when Hansen is back...we will have 4 on the PR most likely

Fox could dress....But he also cut loose all the imports we had in camp as well....Fox I bet too could give us more than Walker does....but seeing as he is in his 3rd yr here kicking around...he got spot by default....

I thought Walker played a strong game vs Calgary, but yea...we could use some DL help. Again....not on MOS. We can't just dress ham and eggers. If the guys Walters brought in aren't up to snuff there is no use keeping them. I will trust our coaches evaluation of talent and fit. If a guy is good enough they will find a way to roster or PR him. These guys were deemed expendable. Our recruiters need to find some DL that aren't. Hansen will help things out, and I am hoping we are in talks with other recruits to get them up here. Bad time of year....guys are hoping for NFL spots still.

Edited by GCn20

57 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Looks like the roster is starting to shape up with the wounded gradually coming back off the I.R.  What is the ideal rotation  for the D-line?  Could they afford to dress 8 with every position backed up or is 7 their goal?

Seems like they plan on adding nobody new, and will go with what we have now, so my guess is when all healthy we have The Jeffs starting, and Lawson and I guess Walker as they seem high on him as the tackles...With Jake rotating in, and the H's (Haba and Hansen) as the rotational guys, and sprinkle in some Bennett tho he has done nothing to impress yet.

I bet that will be our group of 7 dlineman when it all shakes out, tho I'd like to see Fox get some time and then decide between him and Walker. Hopefully we move forward with full Lawson as well and minimal Jake, as that would make us stronger over all. Ideally if Osh would suck it up in regard to the Nationalized thing he would designate one of the Jeffs as such and we could freely roll out with both them, and Haba all together with Hansen and or Walker in some sets....Or run some 3 man fronts with Walker and the Jeffs and have Cole on the field. With Him...Biggie and either Clements or Wilson along with Darby that would give us some great sideline to sideline pursuit guys.

I'm more curious to see what they do now that Rose and Parker are back practicing, and how we sort out the back field....and still have Lawrence and Mouhamed in mix as well. If Rose is back to being Rose and finally has the injury issue solved, and they way Houston and Sawray been playing, is the Ideal backfield Rose and one of Houston/Sawray on the corner with Nichols and Parker at Half?...we don't have roster flex at moment to dress that extra DB....so who sits in the best backfield?...Holm...Lawrence...Houston...Sawray...Mouhamed?...Just those 4 names right there make a decent secondary themselves...is someone gonna be traded?... if any one of our 9 DB's were out right cut....they would be immediatly scooped up and starting somewhere 

Edited by Booch