Around The NHL 2022-23

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

My too-soon knee-jerk reactions based on just the jersey and not the whole uniform:

Anaheim - the black and orange actually makes this look better than the original green and purple ones. Decent. 

Arizona - Yuk 

Boston - The white on brown looks super sharp, and makes the bear much more menacing than the original yellow background did. Small gold accents and the uneven bottom striping make this a big win for me. This is the best of the bunch IMO.

Buffalo - At least they didn’t go with the “Buffaslug” logo. Nothing special, but not terrible. 

Calgary - Problem with the Flames is that they have changed their uniform so many times nothing really feels “retro”, but black is safe. May have been better served with the flaming horse logo with this colour and striping scheme. Just looks like a jersey they already did and not a fresh take. 

Carolina - Meh. 

Chicago - as offensive as some find it, the Indian Head logo really works, so this is a let down. Maybe they should have thought outside the box and put Belfour’s “Eagle” logo on the front, or a Hawk.

Colorado -  Simple, but not bad. Not wow either. 

Columbus - looks like they slapped a Blue Jackets logo on an old Atlanta Thrashers jersey and took out the yellow. Points for going with a black base instead of dark blue, though. The pants and socks colour could make this very good or a big miss. 

Dallas - should have gone current logo and colours with the old star shaped striping. If they have black pants it will be too dark. 

Detroit - only so much you can do with two colours. Black pants and red socks with striping may save this one. 

Edmonton - the orange makes this a better attempt than the first go-round at the oil drop and cogs jersey, but still not a fan. 

Florida - my first thought was “baby blue? Ugh”, but coming back to it after a few minutes, it is now growing on me. Nice to incorporate the shoulder crest as the main logo, and the decision to have a separate shoulder and cuffs instead of the line all the way down the arm was a smart one. Don’t mind this one at all. 

Los Angeles - once again they show the other teams how it is done. Old style crown, white base instead of the original yellow is a huge win. Another home run for the Kings. 

Minnesota - It’s fine, but after last year this feels exactly the same with the road colours swapped in, so underwhelmed, even though last year’s was a big win, so why fix what ain’t broken. Now, if they go black pants with stars down the side like the old North Star uni, then a massive win. 

Montreal - their uniform has never really changed radically, so hard to find anything “retro” about them. And going baby blue is not retro to me. They are hurt by a lack of options. 

Nashville - Zero originality here, they win the “NY Islander” award this year for not even trying. But wait, the pants and socks will be gold too! Sheer stupidity on that front. Skating bananas are never a good look. 

New Jersey - At least they are trying to honour the concept of “reverse retro” with the old Rockies colours. But that crest is so limiting. Maybe a nod to the Kansas City Scouts is next? Kind of dull. 

NY Rangers - it’s a cool logo, but this is hardly an original idea. Too many fans will have a close-enough version of this jersey to not care. Different shoulder and arm striping would have been an upgrade. 

NY Islanders - I heard “fisherman logo” and thought “dear God, no!”, and yet, I don’t hate it. The minimalist use of the powder blue and simple striping was a safe and better choice. 

Ottawa - Is this even a new jersey, or just leftovers they never sold before?  Boring. 

Philadelphia - sometimes you should just not mess with a classic. Removing orange from their uniform does not work. This registers as a fail for me. 

Pittsburgh - don’t mind the clean bird logo, and the striping is fine, but this doesn’t feel “original” to me as a concept. Decent enough I suppose, but not a “wow” look.

St. Louis - points for originality, and the logo and old style music note scream “retro”, but I’ve not often been a big fan of yellow jerseys. Maybe the whole kit with blue pants will work. Holding out on this one for now. 

San Jose - the Golden Seals folded for many reasons, one of which may have been their terrible uniforms. Re-creating it for the Sharks isn’t going to make it better. Retro? Yes. Doesn’t mean it was a good idea. Maybe slapping the current logo or the fin logo instead of a word mark would have impressed me more. 

Seattle - a second year franchise has nothing retro, so it is limiting but can also be freeing. You are not bound by any past constraints and can basically make a fresh  3rd jersey. If this is the best they could think up, I’m a bit underwhelmed.

Tampa Bay - when they debuted this as a third jersey in blue many years back, the consensus was “too busy, trying too hard to put too much into it” and they were right. But as a retro, the kitschiness of it kind of works now. Plus, getting black back into that uniform is a step up from their dull current unis. Stiil, the mini rain streaks are a bit much. A pass, but closer to a C than an A. EDIT: Just got a closer look at it, with yellow lightning bolts on the arms and jagged numbers, with multi-coloured waves. Put me now solidly in the “really like this” camp. 

Toronto - again, these original 6 teams for some reason are more limited in their options than the newer teams, which seems counter-intuitive given their tenure.  Maybe fans just can’t shake the “classic” image and so they play it safe. But this is nothing special. Only Boston really thought creatively, and only they produced a winner for me.

Vancouver - Blue and green should never be seen. And Johnny Canuck is a stupid logo. The jersey number on the front when you have next to it on the shoulder is really dumb. Total fail, especially with the options of the skate logo, black, gold, and orange, or even the killer whale logo.

Vegas - OK, so like Seattle this team is too young to have anything “retro”, but this is a respectable entry, with the old style font on the front. Another OK but not “wow” entry.

Washington - a true retro concept of this look, logo, and striping in the blue and red colour scheme would have been a smarter choice for me. Keeps me from really liking this too much.

Winnipeg - better than the last one, at least. And I know they want a nod to the past while keeping things (especially the current colour scheme) in the present, but red really makes the jerseys pop more. Maybe the old colours and striping of the 90’s jersey with the current logo would work better, or if they really love the light blue so much, create a new logo version of the old Thrasher jersey. Even a red plane and circle on the logo with everything else the same would have been an upgrade for me. I won’t be purchasing one.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/tempe-city-council-approves-coyotes-proposed-arena-referendum-set-for-may-1.1886220

What a joke this franchise has become.   Bettman doing everything in his power to keep hockey in a place where it doesn't work.  I hope the citizens reject the arena deal and force the coyotes to move elsewhere.