BC @ CAL Preseason Week 1

29 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

BC starters left in kamloops. Lions rookies play the Stamps vets. I don't like this at all. Fans are paying for a glorified controlled scrimmage.

Not a whole lot can really be done about this though... If a team wants to play starters in preseason, there isnt anything to stop them from doing that.

I think most fans realize when a team is largely playing backups.

52 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

BC starters left in kamloops. Lions rookies play the Stamps vets. I don't like this at all. Fans are paying for a glorified controlled scrimmage.

That's why pre-season doesn't draw and isn't televised as much. Cuz its meaningless

Fans know this, or should by now 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

the year preseason games changed to glorified scrimmages.

I've been watching the league probably longer than you've been alive so asking me if I'm new to pre season games is pretty darn lame. Teams can chose to play their players in different ways. They can bring a larger roster & play as many as they can. Or they can do what BC did. Leave their veterans in Kamloops & send an all rookie squad to Calgary to get slaughtered. . Play an all rookie  OL & lose their rookie qb to a serious injury which sounds like it could be season ending. Then turn around & say it was the other team's fault for injuring him in the first place. When it was a coaching decision all along. 

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I've been watching the league probably longer than you've been alive so asking me if I'm new to pre season games is pretty darn lame. Teams can chose to play their players in different ways. They can bring a larger roster & play as many as they can. Or they can do what BC did. Leave their veterans in Kamloops & send an all rookie squad to Calgary to get slaughtered. . Play an all rookie  OL & lose their rookie qb to a serious injury which sounds like it could be season ending. Then turn around & say it was the other team's fault for injuring him in the first place. When it was a coaching decision all along. 

They can only bring 50 to away games, iirc.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

But this **** happens all the time. Home team dresses more starters for the fans,  road teams generally take less people and mostly the ones fighting for jobs. 

At this point bc has a history of getting qbs killed behind poor OLs so it really isn't a preseason issue to me. More of a can't protect qbs issues. They are just lucky Reilly was so God damned tough. 

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

But this **** happens all the time. Home team dresses more starters for the fans,  road teams generally take less people and mostly the ones fighting for jobs. 

At this point bc has a history of getting qbs killed behind poor OLs so it really isn't a preseason issue to me. More of a can't protect qbs issues. They are just lucky Reilly was so God damned tough. 

Reilly earned every dollar and I wouldn't want to be him when he hits 60 years old. He is not going to have a single body part that will not hurt.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

They really need a rule where lineups can't be so one sided. is there no concern for player safety? Sending a JV squad as Farhan Lalji called it shouldn't be allowed. And fans saying it's the Stamps fault Thompson got hurt because the Stamps blitzed when the game was over? C'mon. That injury is on Campbell. I wonder if he'd like to be standing back there getting the **** kicked out of him. Yet he expects his qbs to go through that. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They really need a rule where lineups can't be so one sided. is there no concern for player safety? Sending a JV squad as Farhan Lalji called it shouldn't be allowed. And fans saying it's the Stamps fault Thompson got hurt because the Stamps blitzed when the game was over? C'mon. That injury is on Campbell. I wonder if he'd like to be standing back there getting the **** kicked out of him. Yet he expects his qbs to go through that. 

Good in theory but ain't gonna happen. There's no way to rule out stupidity.

On 2022-05-30 at 8:46 PM, Jesse said:

No one’s there to get injured.

Surprised both teams played all rookies. I figured the Riders would come out with their first stringers, jump all over us, get the big lead & then sub in the rooks. Like Calgary did to BC. So, I'll give props to Craig Dickenson for having a plan & sticking to it. 

In Calgary, they were up something like 46-7 & blitzed the BC rookie qb Thompson & he was seriously injured. Big controversy that the Stamps should have mercied the Lions & not blitz hard late in the game. Stamps say they were just doing what all defenses do. When asked, Dave Dickenson said football is a tough game. & injuries are unfortunate.

My feeling is that Thompson needed to see some blitzes so he could recognize them as part of his development. It's too bad he got hurt but no one other than Lions fans would say it was a deliberate attempt to injure him. I never saw the play so I can't judge. 

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Surprised both teams played all rookies. I figured the Riders would come out with their first stringers, jump all over us, get the big lead & then sub in the rooks. Like Calgary did to BC. So, I'll give props to Craig Dickenson for having a plan & sticking to it. 

In Calgary, they were up something like 46-7 & blitzed the BC rookie qb Thompson & he was seriously injured. Big controversy that the Stamps should have mercied the Lions & not blitz hard late in the game. Stamps say they were just doing what all defenses do. When asked, Dave Dickenson said football is a tough game. & injuries are unfortunate.

My feeling is that Thompson needed to see some blitzes so he could recognize them as part of his development. It's too bad he got hurt but no one other than Lions fans would say it was a deliberate attempt to injure him. I never saw the play so I can't judge. 

There is a rule in shrinkology that in order to learn from an experience, you have to survive it.