Omar Khadr cashes in

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

This an excellent piece- those who are all up in arms about PAYING MILLIONS TO A TERRORIST should give it a good read. 

People forget often that the military Tribunal and legal framework that Khadr was subjected to was experimental and pretty much a sham.

I'd feel a bit more sorry for him if he didn't have so much blood on his hands, and if he hadn't fought against Canada in Afghanistan.

Image result for omar khadr - ied pictures

What a sweet boy.

7 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I'd feel a bit more sorry for him if he didn't have so much blood on his hands, and if he hadn't fought against Canada in Afghanistan.

Image result for omar khadr - ied pictures

What a sweet child.

Yeah, he must have been what... 13 maybe 14 in that pic- If you don't understand the notion of child soldier, then that piece is lost on you. If you don't believe that the charter of rights extends to EVERY Canadian, then yeah, that piece is lost on you. 

I don't even think you read that article. So keep your snark to yourself.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Yeah, he must have been what... 13 maybe 14 in that pic- If you don't understand the notion of child soldier, then that piece is lost on you. If you don't believe that the charter of rights extends to EVERY Canadian, then yeah, that piece is lost on you. 

I don't even think you read that article. So keep your snark to yourself.

No, you keep the snark to yourself, whatever the hell that means.  This "child soldier" garbage is just BS to try and justify this disgusting payment to a disgusting person by a disgusting government.  He wasn't a child soldier.  I can buy that he was brain-washed by fundamentalist Islamic scumbags, as that seems to happen almost every day, including causing young men to self-detonate at Ariana Grande concerts, but this was not a child soldier, and this was not a "Canadian" - this was a kid who was born here to terrorist scum using Canada as a country of convenience to launch terror attacks who should never have been allowed into Canada in the first place.  "Charter" and "Child Solider" are just affectations used by apologists who don't want to acknowledge reality.

31 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

No, you keep the snark to yourself, whatever the hell that means.  This "child soldier" garbage is just BS to try and justify this disgusting payment to a disgusting person by a disgusting government.  He wasn't a child soldier.  I can buy that he was brain-washed by fundamentalist Islamic scumbags, as that seems to happen almost every day, including causing young men to self-detonate at Ariana Grande concerts, but this was not a child soldier, and this was not a "Canadian" - this was a kid who was born here to terrorist scum using Canada as a country of convenience to launch terror attacks who should never have been allowed into Canada in the first place.  "Charter" and "Child Solider" are just affectations used by apologists who don't want to acknowledge reality.

1) How is Khadr not a Child Soldier?

2) How is Khadr not a Canadian?

Child Soldiers and The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms are not mere "affectations" (click on links and educate yourself a bit) 

Mark H's link to the article above:

"The press has not simply questioned the wisdom of the apology and settlement—it has ignored or obscured the relevant facts that made an apology and settlement necessary in the first place."

This is key to understanding why the money and apology are appropriate. (The way it was carried out- total garbage). This whole debacle is much more nuanced than what the media is reporting these days.  

If you don't understand the notion of child soldier, then reality is lost on you.

If you don't believe that the charter of rights extends to EVERY Canadian, then yeah,  reality is lost on you. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The ultimate decision makers will be voters in 2019. This just won't go away. I think the award stinks.

Let's hope voters understand the issue in it's entirety with history included and not just the sensationalized headlines while ignoring or obfuscating the relevant facts. It's easy to point and shout about the 10 mil pay out to a convicted terrorist, much harder to do that when you include ALL the relevant facts.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The ultimate decision makers will be voters in 2019. This just won't go away. I think the award stinks.

This is why we have courts.  This is about the law.  If we let citizens pass sentence, then we'd be back to witch trials and lynch mobs.  Sometimes a government should be given credit for doing the politically harmful thing because it is the just thing to do.

13 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

You really didn't leave me a choice on that one as you wouldn't answer the question.

Yeah, that's your problem. You quoted my post, despite saying some time ago you'd just ignore me from that point on.  So much for sticking to your guns, eh. And it's also your problem if you want to play games and ask pointless questions with zero basis in reality. I won't engage is such petulant nonsense. The question simply isn't worth dignifying with consideration, much less an answer.

And it is seriously alarming if you think the words "charter" and "child soldier" are just affectations being used by apologists. Reality is simply lost on you.

20 hours ago, Atomic said:

I tire of this argument.  My beliefs are that:

1. Omar Khadr was screwed by his family and they are the real villains in this ordeal.
  2. Omar Khadr did not deserve to be held in Guantanamo Bay.
  3. Omar Khadr should have been brought back to Canada.
  4. Omar Khadr should have been allowed to walk free if it was determined he was not a risk to the Canadian public.
  5. Omar Khadr should never have received a rich settlement nor an apology.  He should have been given exactly that which is given to new refugees by the Canadian government and allowed to integrate into society as a new refugee would.
  6. Paying a large settlement, under cover of secrecy and outside the rule of law, to a former terrorist (whether as a child or not) is the height of absurdity and a black mark on this government.

And that's all I will say, and no one will change my mind on any of these six points.  I think many people feel the same way I do.

This is an excellent post... while I had questions about his "refugee" status... you've since clarified your point which I also agree with...

The facts (as I see them) are as such:
1. Khadr was a terrorist who fought on behalf of al Quadea (spelling??)
2. Was he forced into it by family? I seems that way.
3. Did he throw that grenade? Evidence seems inconclusive but I'm leaning towards no.
4. Was he tortured at Bagram? Evidence suggests he was not.
4. Was he tortured at Guantanimo? I think we all know what the purpose of that facility was/is (in other words, yes).  

So my main questions is what was the Canadian gov'ts failing in this case?... Are they just guilty of not getting him back to Canada?... In my opinion, the greatest injustice he served was torture at Gitmo... and would that not be under American jurisdiction?... So why would his lawsuit not be with the American gov't?

Please let me know if I'm missing something here (I'm being sincere :))

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Let's hope Canadians tell Justin how they feel next election about the money & apology to Khadr.  As in, defeat.

That's really what this hub-bub is all about, "politics".  Conservatives want to keep this issue front and center for as long as possible, pointing fingers and throwing accusations as if their party had nothing to do with the current situation.  The Libs. want to bury it and move on asap, as the ruling party they are attempting to steer clear of divisive issues that stink. 

The legality of the matter is cut and dried and there can be no rational discussion if the evidence is studied and understood, the Feds. screwed up and the taxpayers are going to pay the tab, regardless.  People can argue until their blue in the face but the reality is, it is wiser to follow best legal advice and limit damage, because inevitably a payout and an apology was coming.  Anyone who thinks there was another possible result is unfamiliar with the legal process or is just trying to score political points for their team.

I personally detest both politics and religion as I see them as nothing more than hallucinatory distractions brought into this world to obscure reality.

10 minutes ago, bearpants said:

doing a little more reading on this... it seems to me like the gov't really shot themselves in the foot by not getting him out of Gitmo asap.... had they done that, we would be a lot better off... morally and financially...

Yup, that is why I will give JT a pass on this- he was left with a flaming bag of Dookie in his hands and he dealt with it. Not a fan of how it was done, but a big fan that he did something of substance with it and not pawn it off down the road.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

53 minutes ago, bearpants said:

doing a little more reading on this... it seems to me like the gov't really shot themselves in the foot by not getting him out of Gitmo asap.... had they done that, we would be a lot better off... morally and financially...

Bingo. More or less similar to what happened with Maher Arar. Gov't officials mishandled things and as a result of that ineptitude, a settlement was paid and a apology was issued in an attempt to get closure by the gov't in power at the time.

5 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yeah, that's your problem. You quoted my post, despite saying some time ago you'd just ignore me from that point on.  So much for sticking to your guns, eh. And it's also your problem if you want to play games and ask pointless questions with zero basis in reality. I won't engage is such petulant nonsense. The question simply isn't worth dignifying with consideration, much less an answer.

And it is seriously alarming if you think the words "charter" and "child soldier" are just affectations being used by apologists. Reality is simply lost on you.

Once again we are in a pissing match, what a surprise.  Look, I get it, if Khadr was American and had killed a Canadian, and Trump paid out the terrorist in a deliberate attempt to screw over the widow, we'd all be angry.  And Americans should be angry by this.  You can justify this anyway you want, and cry about "charters" and "child soldiers" (total BS) and about torture blah blah blah but this just stinks, and isn't just and isn't right.

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

was getting Khadr out of Gitmo asap really an option?  He was a terrorist who killed an unarmed medic.  Not sure how you just "get him out of Gitmo".  He also was the lone survivor of a really bad bunch of Taliban scum.  He had information.  That information probably saved a lot of lives. 

5 hours ago, Wideleft said:

This is why we have courts.  This is about the law.  If we let citizens pass sentence, then we'd be back to witch trials and lynch mobs.  Sometimes a government should be given credit for doing the politically harmful thing because it is the just thing to do.

and sometimes governments should actually take terrorist scumbag murderers to court and let the courts decide what he should be paid for his "charter rights being violated".  The Charter works when it is used to defend innocent people unjustly accused.  To see it pulled out of people's rectums in this case to defend a murdering scumbag really just shows how laws have to evolve over time, as they may have unintended consequences.

23 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Pay attention to what (and who) I'm quoting next time.

The highest court in our country unanimously ruled a Canadian citizen's human rights were violated. An appeal was then unanimously shot down shortly thereafter. The plaintiff filed a lawsuit in 2013 based on those rulings. So, what am I missing?

Whoa dude, you have some cooling down to do son.

At the end of the day, the government was under no obligation to pay Khadr anything.  There was no money mentioned in the ruling about his rights being violated.

His reward is being allowed to come back to Canada a free man.  Something he didn't deserve but received anyways.  What's most sick about this whole thing is that our own troops that come back with a lost limb can only receive a max payout of $300k, and this terrorist gets millions.