Ring of Honour 2017

2 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

really? that's too bad, did they say when they do it? I'd have to imagine it's one of 3 games,  opener, banjo bowl or final game,  but you'd think they'd want to do it early so the name can be seen all year long

I would imagine you're right about the timing.

It makes sense though. They can't add 9 names a year.

I think they should still do at least three a year for the next few years. There are 87 years of history to go through, and it would be nice to get to some of the older players/coaches while they are still alive around to bask in the recognition. One a year and many would be deceased by the time you get to them. And I understand that this is a more rarified honour than the HOF induction, but still there are a number who could be saluted.

As an aside, wonder if there are specific criteria for induction. Since it is akin to a jersey retiring without actually taking the number out of circulation, it really needs to be saved for the best of the best (much more than the HOF honour). I always thought 3 defining requirements that were the starting point for consideration for inclusion would be:

A ) Must be a Blue Bomber for 10 seasons minimum (all current players/coach on the ring fit that requirement, but as you'll see from my suggestions for certain players below, that could exclude them, so maybe 7 is better - 5 seems low but even then that cuts out at least one very notable name)

B ) Preferable that their entire career was with the Bombers, but at the least was never traded by or walked away from the club to play elsewhere (rationale is that they were very special and the "lifelong" members of the team and community that deserve the greatest honour). By this criteria, Dieter Brock would not be on the Ring, so I guess the club is not as militant as I am. But I feel loyalty counts here. Just my opinion. Too harsh?

C ) Must have accomplished something extraordinary that would be recognized league-wide as a significant milestone, not just as a Blue Bomber notable (ex. Rick House had a Blue Bomber record consecutive games with a pass caught streak, and two 1,000 yard+ seasons, with one nomination for Outstanding Canadian, and was on the 75th anniversary all-time team, but no individual trophies or league records, so not Ring-worthy - also left for Edm. and did not play 10 years with the club, so....)

The 75th anniversary team picked the 20 greatest players, and certainly a few of them should be on the ring automatically. Seven of them (Walby, Stegall, Ploen, James, Gray, Brock, Lewis) already there, only Doug Brown - too young at that time, and Bud Grant - coach, made the ring but not that team. Of the other 13:

Suspected Locks:

Fritz Hanson - the original Bomber star in the 30's (played 7 seasons, so skirting by on my modified (A) criteria)

Jack Jacobs - carried the club in the 50's, got a stadium built (my notable name who would fail the (A) criteria as he only played 5 years)

Joe Poplawski - named a gate after the guy, would imagine the Ring is next. Put down roots here too, so that counts in his favour. Shorter 9 year career which made me reconsider my (A) tenure criteria, and he won a league award for Outstanding Canadian

James Murphy - Second-best receiver numbers-wise in Bomber history, 9 year career all in Blue and Gold, and league MVP. Checks off all my boxes.

Bob Cameron - The Bombers were his 8th team if you count training camps, but all stats are with Winnipeg, easily covers the 10 year rule, never traded, and a CFL record for career punting yards. It was him, Ploen, Lewis, Walby and Stegall I looked at when I created my criteria since they all easily fit the boxes and were the obvious choices. But for honouring the older generation of players from the 30's-60's first, he would be my next player inductee.

Frank Rigney - 11 years, 4 Grey Cups, 2 Outstanding Linemen awards and 3 all-star nominations in the glory days. The only downside is the anonymity of his position makes this a less obvious choice than it should be.

Strong Contenders:

Greg Battle - Almost a lock, but a gap in his 9 year tenure. Still, 2 defensive MOPs back-to-back and 2 Grey Cups. But do you think "Hall of Famer" or do you think "all-time legend whose number should never be worn again because we only associate him with it"?

Willard Reaves - A league star and owned this town in the mid-80's, league MOP and 3 time CFL all-star with his Grey Cup, but only 5 years with the club. Bonus points for staying here and finding a career in Wpg. after football.

Charles Roberts - Leading rusher all-time on the club, 82 TD's, 4 straight 1,500+ yard seasons, 7 straight CFL all-star nods. 7.5 years with the club. BUT....there is that 0.5 years with BC. His trade is the reason I came up with criteria (B). Also, the one league award he actually won was a more minor one (Outstanding special teamer). Maybe just sour grapes from his disruptive mid-season holdout and even more disruptive Grey Cup partying in 2001 which is as big a reason as any for costing us a "sure thing" win. Just not a lock for me. Character matters for the highest honour in Bomberland.

Fringe Contenders (the "if you let them in, where is the line/what's the difference between this and the Hall of Fame nod"):

Tom Casey - great RB in the 50's and stayed to become a doctor (actually went to med school with my dad), but "only" led the West in rushing once (not the entire league), and no CFL all-star nods (5 western selections). Overshadowed by teammates Jacobs, James, and Lewis.

Rick House - see my critique above in the (C) criteria. Certainly can't go in before Poplawski. Doesn't quite check off all the boxes for "legend" status.

Tom Clements - this hurts personally as he is my favorite Bomber QB, won a Grey Cup and league MOP to boot, but only put in 5 years with the club. Not enough tenure and doesn't match the Ploen or Jacobs "historical significance to the club" level.

Trevor Kennard - When you think legendary Bomber kickers, you start and end with Bob Cameron. If he still was the leading all-time scorer on the club, that would be something, but this (and for Troy Westwood too) is where the whole "must achieve something notable league-wide, not just with the Bombers" needs to be considered.

Finally (yeah, I write novels, what of it???) the other one who is on my short list is:

Cal Murphy - absolute lock, checks all the boxes for tenure, loyalty and league success, re-built the team as coach and GM in the 80's. 3 Cup rings. Winnipegger to boot. Get him up there NOW!  

Waffling on Mike Riley - can't ignore 2 Cups as head coach, only Bud Grant has more, and 2 coach of the year awards, but was his tenure long enough? Only 4 years as a head coach, left for greener NFL pastures - twice if you count his aborted departure in 1989, which actually strengthens his cred since the love of the city pulled him back, temporarily at least.

Also waffling on Ty Jones - again tenure related (5 years his first go-round, with 3 later years where he wasn't the same force), left Wpg. to play on 2 other teams to end his career, but his CFL success (2 Cups, defensive MOP, Grey Cup MOP and sack record, 4 time CFL all-star) and Bomber all-time sack record get him very close to "lock" status.

Any thoughts? Who did I miss?

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

• 2 weeks later...