Pre-Season Week 2

Noeller

5 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

I see things differently on the replay. Thomas for sure got pushed back and he was partly double-teamed. Then he was illegally held, but no call on the hold. Perkins release through the gap couldn't be blamed entirely on Thomas though. Hurl got boxed out because his reaction time was too slow. And Bruce Johnson had the wrong angle for his lateral pursuit - also because he was too slow to react.

I agree that Thomas got held, although that's the type of hold you're always going to see guys get away with. I do not agree that Hurl got boxed out because of a slow reaction time though, I'd say he got boxed out because Thomas got destroyed by the guard so easily that he was washed into the second level almost immediately. Thomas is backed into Hurl before the back even hits the line of scrimmage. Hurl is on the wrong side of Thomas because he read the play correctly, but the back adjusted based on the huge hole his blocker created for him.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

I agree that Thomas got held, although that's the type of hold you're always going to see guys get away with. I do not agree that Hurl got boxed out because of a slow reaction time though, I'd say he got boxed out because Thomas got destroyed by the guard so easily that he was washed into the second level almost immediately. Thomas is backed into Hurl before the back even hits the line of scrimmage. Hurl is on the wrong side of Thomas because he read the play correctly, but the back adjusted based on the huge hole his blocker created for him.

Yes. That is a good description of what happened. It is a sequence of events less likely to occur when you have film on your opponent and can anticipate tendencies.

All on D-line. Thomas got washed right into second level and that didn't allow Hurl to get to the gap...the gap which was not his primary responsibility on that play to begin with because Thomas and his man impeded him and the other guard was on Hurl in the second level.

Johnson played it right as well as he was responsible for contain thee and if it was a zone read run and Franklin kept the ball he would have had the edge...so Johnson reacted just fine when his responsibility was covered and he went for ball carrier...if the play would have went the other way and he bit on the running back you would all be up his arse saying how he needs to go.

We were also in a blitz package with Wild so he was gone from the middle.

The fault is inexperience from Carmichael as he was i think in wrong spot and got tied up with Loffler and his man and thats where the play broke down..If blame is to be pointed out it starts with Thomas and went to Carmicheal and Loffler...Not Hurl...not Richie Hall scheme...moreso a rookie brain fart and Thomas not being a solid every down option at Tackle