2017 NHL Off Season

Rich

Just now, Atomic said:

Only in Winnipeg are we so fixated on guys having to play their correct side.  Almost every other team has at least one guy in their top six playing their off-side.

I disagree.  Ask players.  Some guys flat out refuse to play off-side (or at least hate to do it).  Hell, it was part of Trouba's issue here.  Some guys dont mind and some guys grow up playing their off side.  Shane Hnidy was talking about this and said some guys really have trouble with it.

So the issue isnt "oh he's RHD" it's does he care?  Cause if he's a Right Hand Shot that plays LHD, great.  if he plays both sides, even better.

But the idea that it doesnt matter is absolutely false.

You think Buff wanted to play off side?  If so, Trouba would have stayed RHD and Buff would have switched. 

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I disagree.  Ask players.  Some guys flat out refuse to play off-side (or at least hate to do it).  Hell, it was part of Trouba's issue here.  Some guys dont mind and some guys grow up playing their off side.  Shane Hnidy was talking about this and said some guys really have trouble with it.

So the issue isnt "oh he's RHD" it's does he care?  Cause if he's a Right Hand Shot that plays LHD, great.  if he plays both sides, even better.

But the idea that it doesnt matter is absolutely false.

You think Buff wanted to play off side?  If so, Trouba would have stayed RHD and Buff would have switched. 

Never said it doesn't matter.  I said they make it work everywhere else which isn't a matter of opinion, it's fact.  Of course guys prefer to play their correct side, I'm saying it's not as big a deal as we make it out to be here.

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Never said it doesn't matter.  I said they make it work everywhere else which isn't a matter of opinion, it's fact.  Of course guys prefer to play their correct side, I'm saying it's not as big a deal as we make it out to be here.

We have three bonafide RHD and a weak left side.  I think its very important what side a guy is better at playing.  When talking depth, sure its not as important because a bubble player will play where he's told.  But even then if a guy can step in when called at his preferred side but sucks on his off side, thats an important factor to know.

If Stone is a RHD that doesnt like to play his off side, then he doesnt do much for us unless the Jets see him as the 7th D man.

I think we're mostly in agreement lol

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

We have three bonafide RHD and a weak left side.  I think its very important what side a guy is better at playing.  When talking depth, sure its not as important because a bubble player will play where he's told.  But even then if a guy can step in when called at his preferred side but sucks on his off side, thats an important factor to know.

If Stone is a RHD that doesnt like to play his off side, then he doesnt do much for us unless the Jets see him as the 7th D man.

I think we're mostly in agreement lol

Yeah probably.  I just think you go out and find the six best defencemen and let them play.  Overall talent level is more important than which side they play on.  I honestly think if you threw Buff on the left side he would thrive there.  A guy with a shot like his would absolutely crush it in the offensive zone on his off-side.

Just now, Atomic said:

Yeah probably.  I just think you go out and find the six best defencemen and let them play.  Overall talent level is more important than which side they play on.  I honestly think if you threw Buff on the left side he would thrive there.  A guy with a shot like his would absolutely crush it in the offensive zone on his off-side.

Agreed but if the best six D (on their preferred side) slip to be the top 12 D when playing off side, it changes things.  It seemed to be a big deal for Trouba.  I dont recall but it seems the Jets avoid off-side D man too.  ie. Postma might have been a better D man than Chiarot but Chiarot got the final LHD spot when needed.  I dont pay THAT much attention but I dont seem to recall that switching very often.

Saying that, if they sign Stone, Im fine with that.  Local boy is always nice and he's decent.  Big, strong and still young.

Some speculation that the Hawks might try to trade Hossa to a team needing to get beyond the cap floor.

The problem with the Hawks is, they cant put Hossa on LTIR until Day 2 of the season.  So sure, that would take his salary off the cap but by then everyone you want has already been signed.  They need cap release NOW if they want to be active in free agency.

Even though the NHL should force Hossa to retire and subject the Hawks to the cap recapture penalties.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Even though the NHL should force Hossa to retire and subject the Hawks to the cap recapture penalties.

Why?  Are you saying you don't believe his has the condition that he has?

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes I believe it.  I also believe that since he got the vast majority of his money, its no longer worth it for him to play through the issue at 38 years old.  He's never playing again.  He's retired. 

No different then Pronger the last two years and he got a job with the league while still getting paid for the last 3 years of his contract.

Don't think the NHL has a problem with this sort of thing, and I don't think you can really punish the team for a player that has a valid condition that stops them from playing.

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

No different then Pronger the last two years and he got a job with the league while still getting paid for the last 3 years of his contract.

Don't think the NHL has a problem with this sort of thing, and I don't think you can really punish the team for a player that has a valid condition that stops them from playing.

I agree.  Pronger retired as well but they called it something else.  I didnt make this up, there was a lot of chatter that the NHL might not like this.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Only in Winnipeg are we so fixated on guys having to play their correct side.  Almost every other team has at least one guy in their top six playing their off-side.

I  hate it cause it looks like ship during a PP.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg