Other Sports Forum

Rich

Other Sports  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see a new "Other Sports" section created?

• Yes
    • No

Have had a suggestion to create a new forum dedicated to sport talk that isn't football or hockey related.  (curling, baseball, MMA,  etc.)

I think some people prefer a more organised approach with everything in its place while others would prefer less places to check / read new threads.

Right now those discussions tend to land here in the General forum, so throwing up a poll to see what people think. 

Yeah I dont know.  Do we discuss non Football/hockey sports enough to warrant them being collected into their own forum?  I think a lot of it is more news, like a football player kills someone, so we post.  But maybe if there was a sports forum, people who are fans of NBA, NFL etc would post more.  I think hockey discussion ramped up significantly once there was a forum for it.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I said yes but now im on the fence. Can just create singular sports threads in General. Seems like more curling talk then NFL :D

As there should be, damn it.... #Canada

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I said yes but now im on the fence. Can just create singular sports threads in General. Seems like more curling talk then NFL :D

The funny thing is if there's 2 leagues/sports that I follow as closely as CFL and NHL... it's NFL and curling... I would definitely be down for more NFL and curling discussion... 

So out of the 10ish people who have voted, it is pretty much split down the line.  So here is what I propose.  

Got an email earlier this week about the next major version upgrade of the forum software.  It is in beta testing right now and currently scheduled to be released late summer.  One of their new features is a concept called Clubs.   You can read about them here .

I honestly don't yet completely understand how they differ from the forum categories we have today.  The goal is apparently to make the software more social and the concept has apparently been implemented in the vBulletin forum software (has anyone seen this type of thing anywhere else?).

When I first read it, I thought a good use would be for when we segregate off a forum for the people who join a football pool.   But the fall time period might be a good time to try it with curling or NFL.    

Not entirely sold on the concept yet, and I won't be participating in the beta to see how they work, so will have to reserve judgement until it is released or there is a public demo.  And if it sucks, we can not use them and go back to a basic implementation.

I voted no. I just don't think there's enough participation in non football/NHL threads that would warrant a "other sports" section.

for example, in nearly 2 years,  the blue jays thread has generated 22 pages. curling generated 5 pages while the scotties and brier were going on, I don't think anyone has talked about the NBA playoffs this year,  wbbfan started a raptors/nba thread that got 0 replies. The world series thread got 10-16 replies (i think there was 2 going) goldeyes got 14 replies, olympics got 3 pages.. and so on