Game 37 : Chicago of the North @ Second City

I thought they were referred to as the Winnipeg of the South?

I'll be curious who stays and who goes once the roster freeze is lifted. Love the Tanev hustle, just not the Tanev production.

I hope they keep the Power Play Pups together. They've never looked better. Sit the vets.

16 minutes ago, Goalie said:

No. Lol.  

It was a plan by a "businessman" to get the city to renovate the Met into a modern concert venue and he'd bring US tours on a regular basis to see top acts.  Pipe dream.  But it happened at a time when Winnipeg was a ghost town so a lot of people wanted to see it happen.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It was a plan by a "businessman" to get the city to renovate the Met into a modern concert venue and he'd bring US tours on a regular basis to see top acts.  Pipe dream.  But it happened at a time when Winnipeg was a ghost town so a lot of people wanted to see it happen.

I honestly don't recall. 

Winnipeg isn't for everyone but in my opinion that's what makes it good. 

I've seen lots of articles in tourism magazines recently and other types of magazines saying winnipeg is a hidden gem and 1 of the places to visit. 

We get tons of tourists here. It's actually crazy how many.  All seem to love it. 

We are a big ish city but have that small town feel. That's a good thing. Plus we are becoming quite modern recently in terms of architecture.  

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I honestly don't recall. 

Winnipeg isn't for everyone but in my opinion that's what makes it good. 

I've seen lots of articles in tourism magazines recently and other types of magazines saying winnipeg is a hidden gem and 1 of the places to visit. 

We get tons of tourists here. It's actually crazy how many.  All seem to love it. 

We are a big ish city but have that small town feel. That's a good thing. Plus we are becoming quite modern recently in terms of architecture.  

Absolutely.  I was born in 76 so I was at that perfect age for disillusionment in the 90's when the Jets left and everyone left too and downtown was a ghost town and Winnipeg sucked and it really seemed like we had no future.  Its amazing to see the transformation in recent years through public projects and private investment.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Absolutely.  I was born in 76 so I was at that perfect age for disillusionment in the 90's when the Jets left and everyone left too and downtown was a ghost town and Winnipeg sucked and it really seemed like we had no future.  Its amazing to see the transformation in recent years through public projects and private investment.

'77 here. Born and mostly raised here. I'm watching downtown evolve right in front of my eyes and it's incredible. And not just core downtown, lots of areas around downtown too.

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

'77 here. Born and mostly raised here. I'm watching downtown evolve right in front of my eyes and it's incredible. And not just core downtown, lots of areas around downtown too.

I distinctly remember sitting in a Perkins in St James across from my best female friend who I was crazy about and who kept waffling on whether she felt the same, the Jets had just left and said to her "you know what, this city sucks, the Jets left, you dont like me so Im moving to Calgary".  Thankfully I didnt.  The Jets came back, she moved to BC (and is doing great, still friends) and life is good.

But man...being in the old Arena for the "farewell" to the Jets.  I worked at Grapes on Main and business was dying.  The area was dying.  Everything seemed to suck.  I eventually found a job at the Palladium which kept me fun and drowning in booze and girls and now that Im all grown up to see the Jets return and that celebration in distinct counter to the farewell and everything cool happening around Winnipeg now...we lived through the dark ages.  As much as we want the Jets to win, just having them and with talent like Laine, Ehlers and Scheif is a hell of a lot better than the mid-late 90's in Winnipeg.

9 hours ago, Ducky said:

I'm guessing Helle gets the start and hoping Copp gets the nod over Staf.

We won last game...you go with that goalie.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

No. Lol.  

Actually the idea was Branson of the North with Pantages, Walker, Met and even that one dive on Main Street(since bulldozed) being used as venues.

Was not a bad idea.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

We won last game...you go with that goalie.

Actually the idea was Branson of the North with Pantages, Walker, Met and even that one dive on Main Street(since bulldozed) being used as venues.

Was not a bad idea.

But Winnipeg being Winnipeg... the Met would have ended up as a VLT barn, Walker as a 'low cost vegas' venue and Pantages as a dollar store...

On 12/23/2016 at 8:52 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

I distinctly remember sitting in a Perkins in St James across from my best female friend who I was crazy about and who kept waffling on whether she felt the same, the Jets had just left and said to her "you know what, this city sucks, the Jets left, you dont like me so Im moving to Calgary".  Thankfully I didnt.  The Jets came back, she moved to BC (and is doing great, still friends) and life is good.

But man...being in the old Arena for the "farewell" to the Jets.  I worked at Grapes on Main and business was dying.  The area was dying.  Everything seemed to suck.  I eventually found a job at the Palladium which kept me fun and drowning in booze and girls and now that Im all grown up to see the Jets return and that celebration in distinct counter to the farewell and everything cool happening around Winnipeg now...we lived through the dark ages.  As much as we want the Jets to win, just having them and with talent like Laine, Ehlers and Scheif is a hell of a lot better than the mid-late 90's in Winnipeg.

at least we had all of those Grey Cups to soothe us...ha ha man that was quite a dry spell.  Kudos to everyone who stuck it out.  With the Jets back, a new stadium and finally some continuity at the top in both organizations and the talent pools stocked I for-see a lot to be optimistic about for the future.  Here's to a great holiday season - I look forward to watching a lot of junior hockey in the next 10 days in a turkey coma.  This year I will probably be more interested in the US team though with our young Jets prospects playing there.  Take care and Merry Christmas everyone!

Edited by kelownabomberfan

The neighbor is a farmer and he came over with his HUGE tractor and it took him about 10 minutes to do my driveway....220 feet long...it usually takes him one swipe in and one on the way out and sometimes twice.....lotta snow out there today.....had to shovel the drift off of my bathroom vent stack and bathroom exhaust fan on the roof.