Game 36 : More Snow @ More Rain

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Matthias Lowry Armia was good but the problem with that line is there isn't a goal scorer on it. Yeah they are good at cycling behind the net but they don't really create many scoring chances. When they do they don't capitalize. Need a scorer on that line.  Lowry has hands of stone as does Matthias.  Armia is strong defensively but doesn't have any finish, Besides being Finnish. 

I think you eventually see Connor with little and wheeler.  

If Perreault is still here next season perhaps Perreault Petan Armia works.  

4th line could be Matthias Lowry Dano. 

That one great defensive play by the Canucks player to block a pass from Armia to a wide open Matthias and I shrugged because all it did was save Matthias the embarrassment of missing the net.  There is probably the reflex to keep that line because they control the puck and that is important.  But I agree.  I think Armia has more upside in setting up scoring opportunities so him playing with better players makes sense.  Mathias - Lowry - Copp/Dano is a great 4th line.

P-P-A would be a solid line too.

Please tell me Overhardt is not Ehlers or Laine's agent...

Forward depth looks really good - Perrault will end up at $4 mill on third line.

Defensive depth is scary... like Enstom might get another contract scary.  Only explanation for Stanley's ELC is that Jets might think Myer's career is over...

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Please tell me Overhardt is not Ehlers or Laine's agent...

Forward depth looks really good - Perrault will end up at $4 mill on third line.

Defensive depth is scary... like Enstom might get another contract scary.  Only explanation for Stanley's ELC is that Jets might think Myer's career is over...

How does one explain the other?

18 and 19 year old players playing in juniors have their contracts slide until they start playing in the AHL or NHL. 

Meaning Stanley will still be on a 3 year ELC after this year.  No year of his signed contract will be used up. 

It is just asset management to get him under contract.  Doesn't mean he will be in the pros any time soon. 

4 hours ago, Rich said:

How does one explain the other?

18 and 19 year old players playing in juniors have their contracts slide until they start playing in the AHL or NHL. 

Meaning Stanley will still be on a 3 year ELC after this year.  No year of his signed contract will be used up. 

It is just asset management to get him under contract.  Doesn't mean he will be in the pros any time soon. 

Interesting, I didn't know that...  have the Jets done this with other guys?

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Ehlers. Scheif.  Morrissey. Petan.  Lowry. Pretty much name a player who wasn't in the NCAA and played an extra year or 2  in junior after being drafted 

Ehlers went to NHL, Morrissey to Moose, Petan to Moose/NHL, etc etc - I can't find anyone who signed an ELC and then went back to Junior.

Pretty much name a player... they have all gone to the Moose or NHL after signing ELC.

Am I missing someone?  Need a real answer...

10 hours ago, Floyd said:

I understood Rich's answer.  You didn't provide an answer.

Scheifele played NHL games before being signed to an ELC... then was sent juniors.  Lowry signed an ELC two years after his draft and after joining the Moose.

Stanley has done nothing and gets an ELC... there's something strange about this.

A player can't play games in the NHL or AHL unless they are signed.  How would you know how much to pay them?

This is where the 10 game rule comes in to play. 

As long as they play less then 10 games in a season, then go back to Juniors, the contract still slides. 

Lets a team look at a player for a bit before deciding if they are ready.  This for sure happened with Scheifele.  Can't recall Lowry  

Are you looking at press releases when Scheif and Lowry signed or first contract years on the salary sites?  Because the "slide" will make it look like they signed later then they did  

There is really no difference in Stanley signing now or in a year from now other then he is now a signed asset  

Edit: Deleted a whole bunch of crap in this thread (must have missed a few pages when I read this morning).  Some relevant info was intertwined within all the drunken hate and insults for the Christmas season and I wasn't going to edit through it all, so the 38 post pissing match was deleted....

Look here for Scheifele:

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/mark-scheifele

At the bottom, Contract History section (to see his first contract).  all ELC's are 3 years, but Scheif has 5 years on that ELC, the first 2 have ENTRY-LEVEL-SLIDE under NHL salary.  It also shows his signed date as Oct 5, 2011 but the contract didn't start counting till 2013.

Adam Lowry:

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/adam-lowry

He signed April 16, 2013.  The 9 games with the Ice Caps you see in that year were because of an amateur tryout he signed http://www.stjohnsicecaps.com/article/icecaps-sign-adam-lowry-to-ato/  which he was able to spin into a pro contract  

Lowry was drafted same year as Sheif.  So why would they wait on Lowry ? My guess is Lowry was a 3rd round draft pick and they were not sure he would really develop into an NHL player.  Him signing the ATO with the Ice Caps would support that they wanted to see his development in Junior and up close before committing a contract to him.

Josh Morrissey:

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/joshua-morrissey

Signed Oct 9, 2013.  Had two years of slides.  His contract started counting in 2015.

I won't pretend I'm an NHL GM and know all the reasons they pick to choose when to sign a player and when not to.  But 1st round draft picks from Juniors are usually signed pretty early (NCAA picks can't sign until they come to the AHL or NHL because of NCAA rules), with little risk as the contract will slide until they play in the A or make the team.  You would hope as a 1st round pick, the player is at least a lock to have a spot on the Minor league team at some point.

I actually found it more strange that Stanley, being a first round pick, was signed after his first training camp.    But assuming he is going to play for the Moose once he is done playing in Junior, there really is no difference to him signing now or later other then getting some bonus / signing cash in his pocket.

26 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

What about Lemieux?  I think he signed an ELC and then went back to junior last year...

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/brendan-lemieux

He was signed July 3, 2015.  His contract slid last year because he went down to junior.  This year he is with the Moose, so this will be the 1st year of his ELC.