Game 35 : Snow @ Rain

16 minutes ago, Ducky said:

It is easy to say trade Staf or Burmi or someone but who wants them. If we are to shore up our bottom pairing D, it should be with a p layer that is exempt and doesn't have to be protected. Someone from the Flyers or Ducks organizations for example. Put up Armia or Dano or Lowry or someone.

I know it won't happen and a lot of people won't agree but now would be a really good time to trade Wheeler. We have an abundance of RWers, we aren't going anywhere this year and he would bring back a LOT from the right team. Think of what Chevy could pry out of the Rangers or Flyers or LA or Ducks for someone of that caliber. What do you think the Yotes would give up? Guys like Pollock, Cal Murphy and Wally Buono would be on the phone seeing what they could steal from other teams.

edit ... Ovi Back Wheels would make a hell of a line.

The-Big-Lebowski.jpg

Trading your captain and guy who busts his ass every game sends the wrong message. I hate to say it but moving Enstrom Buff Little would send more of a message. Excluding little who has played well, moving one of buff or enstrom would send the message that if you aren't busting your ass every game there are consequences.  But really sit Stafford for a game or 2... that sends a message that underperforming vets aren't immune to consequences cuz right now there are no consequences for vets on a Maurice coached team 

9 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Trading your captain and guy who busts his ass every game sends the wrong message. I hate to say it but moving Enstrom Buff Little would send more of a message. Excluding little who has played well, moving one of buff or enstrom would send the message that if you aren't busting your ass every game there are consequences.  But really sit Stafford for a game or 2... that sends a message that underperforming vets aren't immune to consequences cuz right now there are no consequences for vets on a Maurice coached team 

Stafford is as good as gone.  The feeling might be to wait until the deadline to maximize return, but really, is it the difference between one round of draft pick?  Trade him sooner than later.

Toby has played generally well this season.  Whatever happened back home seems to have had an impact.  Without knowing the details, its hard to say if its reasonable.  If we had another top 4 LHD, Toby could be trade bait (both to move on from him and also to help with the expansion draft) but since we dont have any other option, he's not going anywhere.

11 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Ok. So players eliminated.  What do you do then? 1 option left. 

Fire Maurice 

Ill give you credit for making this point long before anyone else brought it up.  I heard it mentioned on H&L last week (or the week before) and Lawless shut it down pretty quickly.  Dreger agreed with him. 

But how often is this team going to look unprepared, undisciplined and unmotivated?  How long are we going to accept lousy special teams?

If we accept that we have talent, then why do they suck?  Is it not the coach's job to get the best out of his players?  Whether its the players' faults or not, right now, this coach is not getting the best out of his players and that happens far too often with far too much consistency to be acceptable.

We cant just say "youth".  If this team fought the good fight and lost, great.  But they dont play up to their talent most nights.  Why not? 

We've changed coaches.  We changed Captains.  We added depth.  We added high level skill.  What else are to do?  Because the question will start getting asked about the GM...and Chevy probably gets one more coaching change before he gets replaced.

If we accept that Chevy has assembled quality puzzle pieces, its Maurice's job to assemble those pieces into a beautiful picture.  It's not happening.

Timing forces this discussion too because Maurice's contract will be re-visited this summer.  Will he be extended?  How can you justify that?  Would they go with a lame duck HC?  Probably not.  So he's either extended or fired.  And how can you extend him?  If that decision needed to be made today, you simply cant.

I made the point before the season that as much as we all like the trend to speed and skill, I was worried the Jets werent tough enough.  In Year 1 & 2 when they really sucked, they hit everything that moved and played hard.  Now that they are better, they play soft with questionable effort.  At least if you're going to lose, embrace the speed and skill and try to score 7 goals a game like the Pens.

The time to fire him isnt now.  The season is basically lost at this point.  So we let the excuses rule the day.  Bad schedule, tired players, young team, injuries yadda yadda yadda.  And they have the opportunity to show everyone those excuses were valid by how they play in the second half.  And that will determine whether Maurice gets fired or extended.

It's weird I watched the first period and the club was flying and making crisp passes and skating circles around Vancouver. 

The 2nd period in the last 10 minutes it seems like the club just gassed out and couldn't make a big hit or clear their own end.  Lots of guys making mental mistakes.

I didn't watch the 3rd and was glad that I missed it. 

I'm not sure what the issues are... when the team is on they can fly.    Certain guys do seem to be checked out or at least playing with much less hustle then in the last few years.  

I don't understand the knock on Enstrom or even Trouba... those guys seem to be playing well.   

Edited by Brandon

One of the issues that nobody seems to want to talk about is goaltending...overall team D plays a part in this but it needs to get better.

Helle played a not bad game last night but the Jets' goaltending over the season is below average to say the least. It is inconsistent and that I attribute to not much experience but the goaltending HAS to get better. Only the Stars have let in more goals than the Jets so far this season. Think about that for a second.

They are letting in 2.97 goals a game and seem to let in one goal a game that sinks us. That game is a much different game if Helle stops that breakaway. Don't tell me he shouldn't have stopped it because how many breakaways have we been stopped on this season and how many shots are saved in the shootouts? Goalies need to come up with the big saves in the 3rd to keep their team in the games. Their goalie had a good game and I find myself saying that a lot this season. Are we making the other team's goalies look good?

As bad as Vancouver is, if they win tomorrow they have the same number of points as the Jets with 2 less games played. At the beginning of the season I thought the Canucks were the worst team in the league.

The National media are starting to talk about the Jets saying they have all these talented pieces yet the PP PK and lack of discipline is killing them, That goes to the coach, Once the National Media starts talking about these things, Well, they will either have to be fixed or a coaching change is coming. 

It really does come down to the patheticness of the PP and PK... goaltending? Helle has been pretty steady recently, What you are asking him to do it seems is to get a shutout every night, The Jets scored 1 goal last night, You aren't gonna win many games when you only score 1 goal, i don't care who you are. 

It's all about the PP, PK and lack of discipline, it's been pretty consistent since Maurice has been here, he has yet to discover how to fix it, keeps making up new excuses, doesn't really try anything new, Needs to have Buff on the PP shooting pucks in to shin pads or missing nets, Can go with Petan,Laine,Morrissey, can't try something new and different, has to do the same old same old, real question here is who runs that room? Is it Maurice or is it Buff, cuz if Maurice doesn't have the balls to sit Buff when he is struggling, then he needs to go. I saw Drew Stafford on the PK last night, Chris Thorburn has been used on the PK... This is on the coaching, no way those 2 guys should be on the PK... or the PP and Stafford has been at times, It's coaching, It's a coach who favours vets, Go talk to Carolina fans about Maurice, it's the same story. Nothing changes with the guy, he's a good talker but his actions suggest that what he does best is talk. He needs to fix the PP and PK, it needs to happen, they are both in the bottom 5 of the league, 1 powerplay goal a game, 2 some nights and these loses are wins. It's really that simple. 

This is the same coach that wanted to or talked about wanting to put Lowry with Little and Wheeler last year as the number 1 line, he wanted so desperately to do that, What do you expect really when a guy with a ceiling of a 3rd line center but really, a good 4th line center, an ideal 4th line center really, what do you expect when the coach wants to make him in to our number 1 center last year, It never happened but Maurice definitely talked about it. It's little things like that, i believe they are called RED FLAGS. 

This team last night looked so eerily similar to the team that gave up on Claude Noel a few seasons ago. Eerily similar, no real system in place it seems, certainly no defensive system in place or if there is, the players on the ice aren't really following it at all... looks like the Jets are trying to play man to man coverage, doesn't seem to be working does it. 

Edited by Goalie

Helle has been good lately but the team has let in 26 goals in their 6 losses this month. They are around 13th in goals scored so scoring is about middle of the pack.

The PK needs more attention than the PP if you ask me. How many PK goals have we allowed this year? I am guessing a lot. Just looked it up...3rd last in PK% and last in the most goals allowed...6th last in PP%...

We aren't making the playoffs so if anyone has injuries that need to be looked at, get it done now and take a better look at some of the kids. I don't think Chevy will make any major changes, players-wise, before the expansion draft.

I'd try really hard to sign Alzner this summer. 6 x 5m should do it.

Jets need a new goalie coach that's for sure.  Helle's talent is there but there's little things that need fixing - it feels like he's slowly turning in Pavelec.

I really thought Kompon would help the power play.  This team probably does need a fresh start.  Clean house in the off-season.

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

Helle has been good lately but the team has let in 26 goals in their 6 losses this month. They are around 13th in goals scored so scoring is about middle of the pack.

The PK needs more attention than the PP if you ask me. How many PK goals have we allowed this year? I am guessing a lot. Just looked it up...3rd last in PK% and last in the most goals allowed...6th last in PP%...

We aren't making the playoffs so if anyone has injuries that need to be looked at, get it done now and take a better look at some of the kids. I don't think Chevy will make any major changes, players-wise, before the expansion draft.

Can you make it ONE DAY without an imaginary trade or free agent signing?!!  B)

Chevy's free agent frenzy was Tanev, Strait and Howden...   time to let that sink in.

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Someone will overpay Alzner and I guarantee it won't be the Jets, i'd be surprised if he wanted to come here even.