US Politics

Rich

Rob Schneider criticizes tech giants, progressive Democrats over 'Orwellian nightmare of censorship'

Comedian Rob Schneider called out big tech firms like Facebook and Twitter as well as progressive Democrats for promoting an “Orwellian nightmare of censorship.”

The “Real Rob” star took to Twitter on Saturday to respond to a tweet highlighting Poynter’s recently scrapped list of “unreliable news” sources that was accused of targeting conservative outlets.

“We are in a real world Orwellian nightmare of censorship. Be careful who you label and smear today. You will be the smeared tomorrow,” Schneider wrote.

Soon after, he followed up the tweet with a similar message on censorship that directly criticized progressive Democrats.

“Just bizarre. Progressive Democrats, who once stood for Civil Rights, Liberty,Free Speech now stand for censorship & removing parent rights,” he wrote.

The following day, Schneider tweeted his thoughts on the recent move by Facebook to permanently ban several far-right figures and organizations including Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, Infowars host Alex Jones, Laura Loomer, and Milo Yiannopoulos, for being "dangerous.” Twitter has made similar moves against Jones and far-right personalities in the past.

After retweeting posts by journalist Sharyl Attkisson on the tech giant’s latest move, Schneider shared his personal thoughts on the matter.

“Free Speech is ALL SPEECH! The UK and Australia don’t have protected speech. And we are not protecting our 1st Amendment. #EternalVigilance,” he wrote.

Schneider concluded his Twitter tirade with a quote from Noam Chomsky on selective censorship.

“As America’s greatest linguist Noam Chomsky says,’Free Speech is ALL SPEECH. You’re either for ALL of it or NONE of it.’ (Emphisis 4 dummies),” the star wrote before sharing a photo of the quote he was referencing.

The quote reads: “Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech.”

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Oh here we go.  Someone doesnt agree with KBF so they are automatically a bully, silly and nonsense.  lol

you can tell me you don't agree with me, but calling me "gross" and a "veiled racist" is just disgusting.  How do you even sleep at night?  how are you still allowed to post here after stating such awful filth?  You really need an outlet for all of this anger you clearly are repressing, and I'm not it.

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Silliness.  Yeah right.  So so gross.

you got that right.  Ignoring students crying out for help with mental health issues in the name of partisanship is extremely gross.  Both the Dems and the Repubs need to get their heads out of the asses, and look at the real problems here.

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

you can tell me you don't agree with me, but calling me "gross" and a "veiled racist" is just disgusting.  How do you even sleep at night?  how are you still allowed to post here after stating such awful filth?  You really need an outlet for all of this anger you clearly are repressing, and I'm not it.

Funny, I didnt.  But I find it interesting you took it that way.   If you call people names, you cant also complain about being called names.  Even though I didnt at all.  lol

Trouble is ....that issues like gun control have had political filters embedded in them for some time now.   Makes it pretty hard to have a rational discussion, with a look to future solutions possible.  The root of the problem, in the US,  actually lies in historical impulses, and how Americans view themselves and the way they are governed.   Guns are well intertwined with the flag and apple pie, as symbols of identity.

Edited by do or die

10 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

you got that right.  Ignoring students crying out for help with mental health issues in the name of partisanship is extremely gross.  Both the Dems and the Repubs need to get their heads out of the asses, and look at the real problems here.

What are the real problems here? I am interested in your opinion on this- please share.

1 minute ago, do or die said:

Trouble is that issues like gun control have had political filters embedded in them for some time now.   Makes it pretty hard to have a rational discussion, with a look to future solutions possible.  The root of the problem, in the US,  actually lies in historical impulses, and how Americans view themselves.   Guns are well intertwined with the flag and apple pie, as symbols of identity.

yes.  Great viewpoint.  And so while I am not opposed to gun control, it's easy to say it, but hard to implement.  Clearly the kids in Colorado have heard enough about gun control, and would rather focus on the root cause of why two kids decided to come to school with an intent of killing their classmates.  

Just now, wanna-b-fanboy said:

What are the real problems here? I am interested in your opinion on this- please share.

start with this:  Why did the kids walk out of the vigil?  What are they saying is the real problem?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/09/colorado-school-shooting-vigil-students-walk-out-protest/1150282001/

1 minute ago, do or die said:

Trouble is that issues like gun control have had political filters embedded in them for some time now.   Makes it pretty hard to have a rational discussion, with a look to future solutions possible.  The root of the problem, in the US,  actually lies in historical impulses, and how Americans view themselves.   Guns are well intertwined with the flag and apple pie, as symbols of identity.

True. But that’s a political thing.  The gun nuts are nuts. The politicians are in bed with gun lobby.  Reasonable people don’t want guns. 

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

yes.  Great viewpoint.  And so while I am not opposed to gun control, it's easy to say it, but hard to implement.  Clearly the kids in Colorado have heard enough about gun control, and would rather focus on the root cause of why two kids decided to come to school with an intent of killing their classmates.  

They would also like to push back against the current state of things without being called Hitler Youth, or political operatives or to young to understand issues

3 minutes ago, do or die said:

They would also like to push back against the current state of things without being called Hitler Youth, or political operatives or to young to understand issues

Colorado Gov. Jared Polis signed "red flag" legislation last month providing judges with the power to temporarily remove firearms from people believed to be at high risk of harming themselves or others.

From the article I posted.  This sounds like something that should be implemented all through the US.  

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

True. But that’s a political thing.  The gun nuts are nuts. The politicians are in bed with gun lobby.  Reasonable people don’t want guns. 

Yup, watched the NRA convention on C-span.  The slightest modicum of gun control is portrayed as a big brother/government attack on personal freedom.  Many legislators, the majority Republicans.... have their pockets kept full and their votes held.

27 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

16 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

9 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Ok So mental health is the only reason?

6 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

only reason for what?

Here is the "thread".

The real problems, you were talking about- the one people are supposed to be looking at. You mentioned Mental Health as the only problem, yet state there are more- I just wanted you to expand on that. 

thanks.

27 minutes ago, do or die said:

Guns are well intertwined with the flag and apple pie, as symbols of identity.

Don't forget the constitution- it is generally part of the USA identity.

What I have trouble grappling with is that most die hard gun rights people (ironically evoking the constitutional right to bear arms) are all about their constitutional rights and almost deify the USA constitution- yet these are generally the demographic that makes up the most of trump's base... which is odd since he is taking a wrecking ball to the constitution...  it really bends my mind. 

50 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Don't forget the constitution- it is generally part of the USA identity.

What I have trouble grappling with is that most die hard gun rights people (ironically evoking the constitutional right to bear arms) are all about their constitutional rights and almost deify the USA constitution- yet these are generally the demographic that makes up the most of trump's base... which is odd since he is taking a wrecking ball to the constitution...  it really bends my mind. 

True.  They only love the constitution when it works in their favour.  Which is why the second amendment supporters are generally pretty dumb.   Its not really about the constitution.  Its about their desire to have guns combined with their mental instability in terms of thinking they have to be ready to take down the government.  Its absurd.  Its as if the Constitution was found on stones in ancient caves and worshiped, unchanged, for millions of years.  Its been changed many times.

Suggesting the solution is counselling for victims is just a distraction technique.  Who was arguing against counselling?  You can see whats going on, criticism towards Dems for making a public case about gun control ("politicizing victims") rather then quietly support counselling.  Thats absurd.  Gun control has to be political because its a political issue and only when enough people have had enough will things change.  

48 minutes ago, do or die said:

Or how a fraudulent 1 percenter, who smoked a Billion dollars in Wall Street boiler-room scams and tax loopholes, while bragging about "working the system".....is viewed as some kind of defender of American working class values..

The biggest loser.  Well,. the truth is becoming really clear.  It matters not what the reality is, the rational right has been co-opted by the alt right and they support their guy no matter how stupid or racist or wrong or dangerous he is.  

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

as that story clearly indicated, it's not all just about the NRA.  The Democrats don't appear very interested in the mental health issue surrounding these shootings, and just want to focus on taking away guns.  The kids in the school got mad when two Democrats showed up and started preaching gun control rather than mental health, and they got up and left the auditorium.  The kids involved in the shooting appear to have some serious mental health issues, and that part seemed to be totally ignored by the politicians who attended the vigil.

I'm curious to know what the US  is willing to do about any kind of "mental health crisis ". They are resistant to most kinds of publically funded healthcare and won't cover the cost of a bandaid for its poorest citizens. So pointing fingers at the "real issue " is clearly just deflecting. 

1 minute ago, Goldkobra said:

I'm curious to know what the US  is willing to do about any kind of "mental health crisis ". They are resistant to most kinds of publically funded healthcare and won't cover the cost of a bandaid for its poorest citizens. So pointing fingers at the "real issue " is clearly just deflecting. 

you should let the kids in Colorado know that.

Students hold up their phones after leaving a candlelight vigil at Highlands Ranch High School on May 8, 2019.