US Politics

Rich

29 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Do you know any Americans? The ones I know voted for Trump because they liked Hilary even less.  He was the lesser of two evils to many who were/are frustrated with the status quo of ‘the establishment’ and career politicians. The same thing could happen in Canada. 

Do they regret their choice? Honest Question.

I remember telling my Co-worker a few days before the election that trump had an really good chance at winning...  He thought I was crazy. I simply pointed out to the fact MANY people would be voting while holding their noses (for both candidates), I reminded him of how popular Bernie is and why people wanted to vote for him- change from the establishment. I then pointed out trump was a bizzaaro world version of 2016's version of Hope and Change... Hope he doesn't **** up too much and go for Change. 

I don't think Canada would be so ******* stupid.... I would hope we learned from that cheeto hued wanna-b-dictator and the constitutional criss they are in now... but man, I have no faith in the Canadian voters... they voted in Doug Ford... 

8 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Do they regret their choice? Honest Question.

I remember telling my Co-worker a few days before the election that trump had an really good chance at winning...  He thought I was crazy. I simply pointed out to the fact MANY people would be voting while holding their noses (for both candidates), I reminded him of how popular Bernie is and why people wanted to vote for him- change from the establishment. I then pointed out trump was a bizzaaro world version of 2016's version of Hope and Change... Hope he doesn't **** up too much and go for Change. 

I don't think Canada would be so ******* stupid.... I would hope we learned from that cheeto hued wanna-b-dictator and the constitutional criss they are in now... but man, I have no faith in the Canadian voters... they voted in Doug Ford... 

Basically, they regret their choice but (lamely) talk about how good their economy is. 

Good point about Doug Ford. 

8 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Oh please. 

Its silly to compare the opinions of Americans we know. It makes no difference.  I don’t know what you’re point is.  Are you saying trumps base is not white nationalists?  Are you saying he won because people hated Hilary?  Are you comparing voting for trump on 2016 to what we know of him now? 

Trump didn’t win due to anti Hilary sentiment.  

I know right? You have it all figured out. 

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Oh please. 

Its silly to compare the opinions of Americans we know. It makes no difference.  I don’t know what you’re point is.  Are you saying trumps base is not white nationalists?  Are you saying he won because people hated Hilary?  Are you comparing voting for trump on 2016 to what we know of him now? 

Trump didn’t win due to anti Hilary sentiment.  

Trump didn't only win on anti-Hilary sentiment, but his margin of victory was so small it could be argued that there was enough anti-Hilary sentiment to give him the electoral college.  Don't ignore the Democrats who opted out of voting altogether due to Clinton dislike.

7 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Trump didn't only win on anti-Hilary sentiment, but his margin of victory was so small it could be argued that there was enough anti-Hilary sentiment to give him the electoral college.  Don't ignore the Democrats who opted out of voting altogether due to Clinton dislike.

It’s way down the list of reasons though but my reply to mark stated that I didn’t get his point. 

She won the popular vote by a pretty wide margin. While some people do vote based on celebrity, ihikary was widely popular.  She was cheated. And I’m a long time conservative and I can agree with basically all the intelligence and maw enforcement agencies in the us that point to Russian interference (!bot to mention the big helping hand from rudy’s Buddies in the FBI)

15 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

He is, but there is some merit to what he says. If you ignore all the inflammatory rhetoric, you'll see he does make some good points.

This comment actually cuts both ways.  Strip away the inflammatory rhetoric and you can start talking about legitimate beefs with both parties.  And there are a lot.  Trump is a lot of things that you guys say, but in the end, we're not Americans.  So it's up to Americans to decide who best represents them.  If the Democrats are unable to find someone who Americans feel is better, then Trump will win again.  The Democrats don't just get a free spot on the bingo card, they have to focus on why they would be the better choice.  They didn't do this in 2016, and it cost them big.  You can blame Russians or whatever, but it's all on the Democrats for that loss.

10 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Do you know any Americans? The ones I know voted for Trump because they liked Hilary even less.  He was the lesser of two evils to many who were/are frustrated with the status quo of ‘the establishment’ and career politicians. The same thing could happen in Canada. 

Great point Mark, and expect "haters" to jump all over it. You exactly nailed it.  And yes, the same thing could happen in Canada, though at that point the parallels end for me, as I see Trudeau as a blight on Canada in so many ways, and so him being kicked out isn't just because people like him less than Scheer, it's that he's an arrogant lying sack of crap.

58 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Lol!

Do you have any further insight or just sarcasm?  I mean, aren’t we way beyond debating how trump won? Lol 

not really, as it seems like some here still can't grasp the bitter reality that the Dems ran a crappy campaign, with an incredibly crappy candidate.

6 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yes, free speech sure sucks. You have to listen to stuff you don't agree with, imagine that!

"Freedom of expression in Canada is not absolute; Section 1 of the Charter allows the government to pass laws that limit free expression so long as the limits are reasonable and can be justified in a free and democratic society."

Yeah, you can't just say anything here in Canada. Hate speech is not free speech.

not saying you are spouting hate speech- just saying we don't enshrine free speech like the USA does.

and Yeah, that's the thing no one does have to listen to stuff I don't agree with.

one can say whatever They want (to a certain extent) but another does not have to listen to it.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

51 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It’s way down the list of reasons though but my reply to mark stated that I didn’t get his point. 

She won the popular vote by a pretty wide margin. While some people do vote based on celebrity, ihikary was widely popular.  She was cheated. And I’m a long time conservative and I can agree with basically all the intelligence and maw enforcement agencies in the us that point to Russian interference (!bot to mention the big helping hand from rudy’s Buddies in the FBI)

Enough people stayed home because of the reasons you mentioned, apparently.  No argument that there weren't nefarious characters and groups fueling anti-Hillary sentiment, but there are a lot of voters who aren't sophisticated enough to even understand the basic ideologies of the parties they're voting for.  Making a protest vote to elect Trump is as stupid as staying home because the candidate of your preferred party didn't pass your purity test - you end up with the same orange result.

Edited by Wideleft

3 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

"Freedom of expression in Canada is not absolute; Section 1 of the Charter allows the government to pass laws that limit free expression so long as the limits are reasonable and can be justified in a free and democratic society."

Yeah, you can't just say anything here in Canada. Hate speech is not free speech.

not saying you are spouting hate speech- just saying we don't enshrine free speech like the USA does.

and I love how anyone who says anything that certain people disagree with it is suddenly classified as "hate speech".  This is Orwellian and wrong.  Sometimes people say things that you don't agree with.  I get that there are rules to this forum that require respect for other posters, and you and I both have breeched those rules and rightfully been punished.  But just saying things that don't conform to the belief systems of some doesn't make it "hate".  This was one of the reasons that Trump won.  People were tired of being labeled for their personal beliefs, and voted in the last place they still had a voice, the ballot box.  Check out Jonathon Pie sometime.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

4 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

not really, as it seems like some here still can't grasp the bitter reality that the Dems ran a crappy campaign, with an incredibly crappy candidate.

While I will not deny that Clinton ran a terrible campaign, history will look back with horror on Trump's campaign.  The warning signs were all there.

For the people posting here that don't think Trump is a bigot.... read this. Let's hear your explanation for the things he's said and done.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/06/trump-racism-comments/588067/

pretty sure the Trump supporters won't read it.

and, bonus laugh,  Trump while testifying before Congress:

"Tadd Johnson: Trump was wearing pancake makeup, which I hadn’t seen before, at least not on somebody testifying in Congress."

What a freak this guy is. He's Michael Jackson level wierd.

Edited by Mark F

23 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

and I love how anyone who says anything that certain people disagree with it is suddenly classified as "hate speech".  This is Orwellian and wrong.  Sometimes people say things that you don't agree with.  I get that there are rules to this forum that require respect for other posters, and you and I both have breeched those rules and rightfully been punished.  But just saying things that don't conform to the belief systems of some doesn't make it "hate".  This was one of the reasons that Trump won.  People were tired of being labeled for their personal beliefs, and voted in the last place they still had a voice, the ballot box.  Check out Jonathon Pie sometime.

First off. I have never seen hate speech on these forums- I mainly  credit the posters on this forum for that (classy folks that you guys are) And to the mods for clearing up the occasional one that gets thrown out there. 

And secondly ewwww no-  Johnathan Pie is an ******* who makes excuses for people to be assholes, no thanks. He's vile. He's.... the opposite of a virtue signaller ... a vice-signaller.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

31 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yes, free speech sure sucks. You have to listen to stuff you don't agree with, imagine that!

Dont be so obtuse.  Freedom of speech doesnt work that way.  

I guarantee if there was a discussion in the Jets thread about Laine, for example, and the same person kept stating clearly false facts about him, he'd be told to knock it off.  You've been very very aggressive in attacking views you disagree with so you can wrap yourself in the flag of free speech but its wholly disingenuous.

Imagine that!

27 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I just spit cheerios all over my computer screen.  This is just delusional.

Truth Czar says "nope, you can spout the white nationalist talking points all you want to but ignoring facts is just willful ignorance".

Unless you have some inside sources to indicate she didn't win the popular vote.  

30 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Enough people stayed home because of the reasons you mentioned, apparently.  No argument that there weren't nefarious characters and groups fueling anti-Hillary sentiment, but there are a lot of voters who aren't as sophisticated to even understand the basic ideologies of the parties their voting for.  Making a protest vote to elect Trump is as stupid as staying home because the candidate of your preferred party didn't pass your purity test - you end up with the same orange result.

Very true.  Unfortunately, voting doesnt require an intelligence test.   The 2016 election will be long studied and taught in classes for decades to come.  If I recall, Hilary actually captured similar numbers to Obama.  I think the idea of her being unpopular was largely a media thing.  Plus the Sander's vocal minority.  Its important for Dems to not shoot themselves in the foot with a nasty primary though.  I think the people who voted for Trump due to dislike of Hilary could also be said to have voted for Trump because of his celebrity.

But all in all, no campaign is perfect.  But Hilary won the popular vote by a wide margin and had to contend with Russian interference.  The Comey debacle sunk her most directly.  Trump was toast after the Grab Em video (though that seems so tame now).  Comey sunk Hilary.

33 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Why are you so obtuse on this?  Why is it the people that have a nasty narrative to spread that seem to both hide behind free speech and fail to understand the basic concept of consequences?  Again, you chose to change the narrative rather then support the actual content of the discussion.  

No one said disagreeing is hate speech.  Only you.  Absurd.

13 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

And secondly ewwww no-  Johnathan Pie is an ******* who makes excuses for people to be assholes, no thanks. He's vile. He's.... the opposite of a virtue signaller ... a vice-signaller.

too bad you won't open your mind up to what he has to say, he was bang-on as to exactly why Trump won, and why Brex-it happened.  And if you won't listen to what he says, then the same thing will keep happening over and over again.  

12 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Dont be so obtuse.  Freedom of speech doesnt work that way.  

I guarantee if there was a discussion in the Jets thread about Laine, for example, and the same person kept stating clearly false facts about him, he'd be told to knock it off.  You've been very very aggressive in attacking views you disagree with so you can wrap yourself in the flag of free speech but its wholly disingenuous.

Imagine that!

Nothing you said above is true.  I don't "attack" people, but I do disagree with them.  That's not the same as endorsing censorship, which is just wrong and totally Orwellian.  This "whataboutism" is pretty silly actually (hey look I used a virtue signaling word, that's cool!).

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Very true.  Unfortunately, voting doesnt require an intelligence test.   The 2016 election will be long studied and taught in classes for decades to come.  If I recall, Hilary actually captured similar numbers to Obama.  I think the idea of her being unpopular was largely a media thing.  Plus the Sander's vocal minority.  Its important for Dems to not shoot themselves in the foot with a nasty primary though.  I think the people who voted for Trump due to dislike of Hilary could also be said to have voted for Trump because of his celebrity.

But all in all, no campaign is perfect.  But Hilary won the popular vote by a wide margin and had to contend with Russian interference.  The Comey debacle sunk her most directly.  Trump was toast after the Grab Em video (though that seems so tame now).  Comey sunk Hilary.

For sure - the polling trends show that the second Comey investigation is what did her in, but there were a lot of people who didn't like her and were just looking for a reason to not vote for her.  This despite being literally the most qualified person to ever run for the office.  Personality does matter in elections, and she refused to show any of hers.  She's actually quite likeable and clever when she just shows her true self.

Truth Czar says "nope, you can spout the white nationalist talking points all you want to but ignoring facts is just willful ignorance".

good grief, back to these stupid insults.  Just disgusting.

Unless you have some inside sources to indicate she didn't win the popular vote.  

Winning the popular vote in the US is like having the most shots on goal in a hockey game.  It is a nice stat, but is meaningless in the standings.