Heritage Classic

Rich

On 10/22/2016 at 5:01 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

Why is that?  Considering our alumni team are alumni of another organization and when records are mentioned all anyone wants to discuss is the coyotes record.  I guess when I say it makes sense it's from that perspective. Common sense. 

It makes sense why people would want it.  I get it, and accept it, but to me it's not right.  This is more Winnipeg hockey history and the Jets name should remain out of it because the two franchises are not the same.  The new Jets Hall of Fame is not accurate in my opinion and I still question if the team had been called something else from the get go back in 2011, how much of this are we still talking about today?

33 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Is RT supposed to go to UofM or stick west of Pembina Hwy?

Right into UofM with a station behind the unused IGF entrance (or underused, the concert side).  They are already well on their way to creating the RT Station at IGF.  Im not quite sure but it almost looks like the station might appear to be built right onto IGF, ie. you could walk off the bus onto IGF.  They have the new roads built into the campus from Pembina HWY to University Cres (new access through the old golf course).

That portion of Rapid Transit will be ready for next summer.  The rest of it, down Pembina, wont be.  But buses will be able to turn off Pembina into the new RT roadway through the golf course and exit at University cred and vice versa.  I heard it will take 200 buses off Chancellor Matheson on game day.

31 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

It makes sense why people would want it.  I get it, and accept it, but to me it's not right.  This is more Winnipeg hockey history and the Jets name should remain out of it because the two franchises are not the same.  The new Jets Hall of Fame is not accurate in my opinion and I still question if the team had been called something else from the get go back in 2011, how much of this are we still talking about today?

I guarantee if the team was called something else the talk wouldnt be as strong, but it was named Jets by popular demand.  Jets of the WHA and NHL...that's the most widely known hockey history so its most relevant to use Jets in my opinion.  other sports leagues retain the history.

I guess its more semantics since, for all real purposes, Jets 1.0 belongs to True North now.  They have the logos and honour the players and history.  Its just sort of silly that when we talk rookie scoring records, we talk Kovalchuk (or whomever) and not Teemu.  No one cares about Thrashers records. 

And if Im Coyotes, I'd be all in on giving back the history.

The history or heritage of Winnipeg hockey was honored.  You know what... guys like Hawerchuk or Teemu or Steen or etc might be honored by Arizona but they never played there... maybe Steen did but... bottom line those are Winnipeg hockey icons. You think they'd play In an Arizona alumni game? Nah no chance. What they did happened with Winnipeg.  

Minnesota did it right... north stars moved to Dallas... they got a team back... called them the Wild... had an alumni game and both North Stars and Wild alumni were represented. It's hard tho for the Jets cuz... what?  Should Chris Mason or Antropov been here? No. Kovalchuk?  No. He has nothing to do with Winnipeg or its hockey history and this is what it's all about... forget the name Jets... it's irrelevant... they could be called the Moose but when you are honoring the history of hockey in Winnipeg... it's WHA... it's 80s... it's 90s. ... it's Jets but more importantly it's about Winnipeg. 

Steen retired before the Jets left, never played for Arizona.  Actually retired and then the Jets stayed one more year.  He played over-seas for awhile though.

If Dallas hadn't kept the Stars name, I bet Minnesota would have gone back to it.  The NHL likes to pretend none of their franchises move, so they dont have a more thoughtful rule.  But those teams that regained their franchise should have their history restored.

In particular the Jets because if I was the Coyotes with 20 years of my own history, I'd feel like giving up the Jets' history was like exorcising a demon.

It really makes no difference now, except to sportswriters who have to quote the "records".  Even Chipman didnt make a distinction when discussing Jets 1.0.  It was "this team" and "our history".

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I guarantee if the team was called something else the talk wouldnt be as strong, but it was named Jets by popular demand.  Jets of the WHA and NHL...that's the most widely known hockey history so its most relevant to use Jets in my opinion.  other sports leagues retain the history.

I guess its more semantics since, for all real purposes, Jets 1.0 belongs to True North now.  They have the logos and honour the players and history.  Its just sort of silly that when we talk rookie scoring records, we talk Kovalchuk (or whomever) and not Teemu.  No one cares about Thrashers records. 

And if Im Coyotes, I'd be all in on giving back the history.

I personally am content with whenever a team relocates, the old team's history ceases, and the new franchise starts creating its own history starting from scratch. 

If it's about "Winnipeg hockey", should some retired Moose (Keane, Arniel, etc) have been invited?

Also, I didn't realize how far along you guys were with the Rapid Transit thing. I thought the various levels of government were still arguing about whether they'd even do it. That is fantastic that it's going to be up and running by next summer. It'll make a HUGE difference for getting to and from games. I love the C-Train in Calgary!

1 hour ago, TrueBlue said:

I personally am content with whenever a team relocates, the old team's history ceases, and the new franchise starts creating its own history starting from scratch. 

I agree,  In the rare cases a city regains a team in the same league, they should be able to regain the history if they want. 

30 minutes ago, Noeller said:

If it's about "Winnipeg hockey", should some retired Moose (Keane, Arniel, etc) have been invited?

Also, I didn't realize how far along you guys were with the Rapid Transit thing. I thought the various levels of government were still arguing about whether they'd even do it. That is fantastic that it's going to be up and running by next summer. It'll make a HUGE difference for getting to and from games. I love the C-Train in Calgary!

Making slow progress.  It so far only goes from downtown to U of M.    It isn't rail like the C-Train, it is normal busses.  There are some dedicated stretches where the road is busses only but not a continuous reserved roadway throughout.    It is at least reserving space and putting in the beginnings of the infrastructure where rail could eventually go.  

With the deficit the city is currently in, unless something drastically changes, I still think actual rapid transit is 20 years out.  It isn't at all a priority right now.   That U of M track has been scaled back a few times now.

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Keep in mind, its just the IGF station and access that will be running by next summer.  They fast tracked it.  Basically they are building the "end" first since it benefits the Bombers (and the UofM).  Im still not sure how they will get buses in and out of the tiny residential road connecting  the RT roadway with Pembina HWY...

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

Making slow progress.  It so far only goes from downtown to U of M.    It isn't rail like the C-Train, it is normal busses.  There are some dedicated stretches where the road is busses only but not a continuous reserved roadway throughout.    It is at least reserving space and putting in the beginnings of the infrastructure where rail could eventually go.  

With the deficit the city is currently in, unless something drastically changes, I still think actual rapid transit is 20 years out.  It isn't at all a priority right now.   That U of M track has been scaled back a few times now.

ahhhh yes, that is a far cry from true Rapid Transit....but........it's a start. Good for Wpg.

Just now, Noeller said:

that's awesome to see...great job, 'Tobans! Heard both 50/50 draws were off the charts....fantastic!

Take home on Saturday was around $150k. Take home on Sunday was just over $200k.

If ever there was a time to win 50/50 in my 20 years of buying 50/50..........................................

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Maybe if the Moose had an outdoor game, but Mike Keane was in attendance for sure, he's part of the current Jets staff. 

I would probably lean towards NO tho, because quite frankly, for as good as Mike Keane and Scott Arniel were when they played for the Moose, neither did play for our PRO hockey teams, and i get the AHL is considered PRO but... in reality, this was about "Winnipeg Hockey" in the NHL and WHA. Not about a Minor League Team like the Moose. 

To be honest, when i THINK MOOSE legends, or guys of that nature i think more of Cory Schneider, and guys like that... Fedor Fedorov even lol, Rick Rypien even but the problem with that is they were all Vancouver Canucks property. 

Arniel? Isn't he busy coaching somewhere and Keane? Well, he might be from here but I'd say he's best known for playing for a team like Montreal. 

Edited by Goalie

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Maybe if the Moose had an outdoor game, but Mike Keane was in attendance for sure, he's part of the current Jets staff. 

I would probably lean towards NO tho, because quite frankly, for as good as Mike Keane and Scott Arniel were when they played for the Moose, neither did play for our PRO hockey teams, and i get the AHL is considered PRO but... in reality, this was about "Winnipeg Hockey" in the NHL and WHA. Not about a Minor League Team like the Moose. 

It's interesting that AHL takes a back seat to WHA......I get it, but........

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Arniel didn't play for our pro hockey team?

Maybe for a season or 2 but Bottom Line, he's an assitant coach in the NHL and wouldn't have come. Just like Housley and Paul Mclean should have been there also but are coaching in the NHL. 

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

To be honest, when i THINK MOOSE legends, or guys of that nature i think more of Cory Schneider, and guys like that... Fedor Fedorov even lol, Rick Rypien even but the problem with that is they were all Vancouver Canucks property. 

Arniel? Isn't he busy coaching somewhere and Keane? Well, he might be from here but I'd say he's best known for playing for a team like Montreal. 

Arniel spent 6 seasons with the Jets.  Throw in his history with the Moose, and no doubt he would have been there if he wasn't coaching.

Just now, Rich said:

Arniel spent 6 seasons with the Jets.  Throw in his history with the Moose, and no doubt he would have been there if he wasn't coaching.

And that's what it comes down to, several more guys should have been there, i mentioned Housely and McLean as 2 others including Arniel but... they couldn't make it. I'm sure they all would have loved to play here but their current jobs take precedent i suppose. Can't have every guy that played for the Original Jets in the line up, cant make everyone happy, personally, I thought they did a pretty damn good job. Would it have been cool if a few other guys who weren't there were? You bet, but for the most part, i think they got the main ones, at least the main ones who didn't have prior engagements elsewhere. 

16 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Kind of in bad taste to make a joke about Rick Rypien being a Moose Legend....

Interesting note.  The NHL used several hotels for the HC and the hotels were required to keep an executive suite available for Bettman every night in case he wanted to use it.  The hotels werent told if he'd actually use it or not.  Not sure if that was just a convenience thing or a security thing. 

Lawless told a story that Bettman has two large ex-cops for bodyguards that are always with him.