Fixing red zone efficiency.

wbbfan

It seems like this has been a problem for a couple years. With multiple qbs, systems and play callers. We get, or start deep in enemy territory and end up settling for field goals. It made a first half against montreal much closer on the score board then it was on the field. But its been an especially troubling problem this year.

All three of our qbs specialize in short-medium passes. Our wrs are banged up, but we still have seen impressive play out of the young guys. And we have fast guys, and kohlert who has great hands.

Imop we could use a guy whose a psychical match up nightmare for fade routes in the red zone. Weve had success with that a hand full of years ago. 

We could run some shovel pass, play action roll out etc to create seams in the defence.

Right now, with the level our special teams, and D are playing at we are knocking on the door of being an elite level cfl team. The ability to convert for majors and step on the throat of opponents is really the last big step for this team to make. We had a great late game drive to secure the game. It wasnt allways pretty but we made it work.  

Yup. Quite possible that Montreal has the best defense in the league - other than ours - right now, especially in the red zone. But yet I would have been less concerned had we scored a td on one of those 3 possessions. We took some penalties on those drives that hurt us, but cleaned that up in the 2nd half. 

Ideally it would be nice to have an offense that scores 40 plus a game...but Matt Nicholls is not in that caliber, yet he is doing a lot of good stuff including not turning  the ball over much

First thing to do is actually take some shots at the end zone.  I hate, hate, hate when we run two plays inside the 20 and don't even have a route going into the end zone.  It's literally 50-50 between getting a TD/PI or having an incompletion.  Be more aggressive.

Also need to run more or at least run those swing pass plays on first down, not 2nd and 10 in the red zone.

47 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Montreal has best red zone d. They have been good the other 3 games during the streak.

they certainly do have a monster d. Its more of a front 7 d as opposed to ours which is lead by the back field and lbers. This has been an issue though through out the season and going back further then that. 

19 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

First thing to do is actually take some shots at the end zone.  I hate, hate, hate when we run two plays inside the 20 and don't even have a route going into the end zone.  It's literally 50-50 between getting a TD/PI or having an incompletion.  Be more aggressive.

Also need to run more or at least run those swing pass plays on first down, not 2nd and 10 in the red zone.

agree with that, you gotta throw it to the end zone in that range. Catches under neath coverage and before the end zone are what the D wants, unless you got nik lewis out there. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

It seems like this has been a problem for a couple years. With multiple qbs, systems and play callers. We get, or start deep in enemy territory and end up settling for field goals. It made a first half against montreal much closer on the score board then it was on the field. But its been an especially troubling problem this year.

All three of our qbs specialize in short-medium passes. Our wrs are banged up, but we still have seen impressive play out of the young guys. And we have fast guys, and kohlert who has great hands.

Imop we could use a guy whose a psychical match up nightmare for fade routes in the red zone. Weve had success with that a hand full of years ago. 

We could run some shovel pass, play action roll out etc to create seams in the defence.

Right now, with the level our special teams, and D are playing at we are knocking on the door of being an elite level cfl team. The ability to convert for majors and step on the throat of opponents is really the last big step for this team to make. We had a great late game drive to secure the game. It wasnt allways pretty but we made it work.  

I thought they were much better in the previous three games. Last night they indeed had a problem against a very good D. It wouldn't hurt to work on it because the second half of the season is now coming and they are going to experience it more and more.

Get Dressler and Smith back. I think that might help. I don't think you necessarily need a big huge receiver to do jump balls .... I think having a couple guys tho who can make people miss helps. Wonder if running a swing pass to a guy like McDuffie might work.  

Edited by Goalie

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Get Dressler and Smith back. I think that might help. I don't think you necessarily need a big huge receiver to do jump balls .... I think having a couple guys tho who can make people miss helps. Wonder if running a swing pass to a guy like McDuffie might work.  

I agree. naked bootlegs might work too if you have any sort of run game working. No one would expect our pocket passing QBs to do that. Or even throw in Willy or Davis to get them work.

57 minutes ago, Goalie said:

you dont need to have that guy, but it is a great tool to have. When your struggling like this, trying some different stuff and using some gimmicks can help. 

We have a package of stuff like that, i call it the smith package because we liked to run that stuff with him, and a few similar guys have taken the spot since hes been hurt. 

Id love to see the milt option toss some in the red zone. (the play he broke the td record on) Play action to harris, roll out, harris runs the shovel forward, a wr runs the option back and  you have a wr cross the field maybe a fade on the play side. Ott under paopao used that stuff to great effect. 

51 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

I agree. naked bootlegs might work too if you have any sort of run game working. No one would expect our pocket passing QBs to do that. Or even throw in Willy or Davis to get them work.

would be a great position for davis. Both our depth qbs are more athletic versions of willy/nichols. You dont risk your starter/holder getting hurt and teams expect a qb keeper. 

49 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Hopefully we get out #1 guys back at receiver & we become more productive.

that would of course be great. But in the cfl, it seems the only time you are at 100% is the preseason and maybe week 1.