Matt Leibl Leaving TSN1290

Rich

22 minutes ago, JCon said:

I can't agree with your Westwood assessment. I really, really like the guy and give him the benefit of the doubt but he's a terrible radio guy.

TSN1290 is primarily a Jets (hockey) station, with other sports mixed in, and Westwood offers no insight to hockey.

His manner of speaking drives me bananas. The Troy-isms, the "level of understanding", etc.

Edmunds was great.

I'm guessing Toth might be a front runner? Can't say I remember much of his work as I never listen to OB, with the exception of pre and post game coverage.

Edmonds was "great"?  Westwood is "horrible"?  Is your favourite meal a slice of white bread with a glass of water on the side?  It would appear that you have a taste for the bland and boring.

27 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Leibl is a good host as far as keeping them on track and on time etc.  But he can be a bit annoying when trying to be funny.  But I do like him.  I cant remember if I liked Jay but I think I did so him coming back (he needs a job) would be fine.  Wasnt his crime rather small (pissed off a sponsor on Twitter?)

I believe Jay pissed off the "You'lllllll find us!!" guy from Best Sleep Centre, and around the same time he also engaged with a troll on twitter.  He told the troll to "eat a d*ck" if I recall correctly.  The troll was deserving of that and far worse for the things he was saying.  But the troll escalated it to the TSN bosses and whether he deserved it or not, it was determined that Jay's behaviour was unacceptable and they let him go.

12 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Edmonds was "great"?  Westwood is "horrible"?  Is your favourite meal a slice of white bread with a glass of water on the side?  It would appear that you have a taste for the bland and boring.

No, but if I'm tuning into a sports radio show, I expect some level of analysis. Westwood can't provide that.

And yes, Edmonds was a great host. That's his role. Westwood should offer analysis and 'excitement'.

I think of Mike & Mike (ESPN) and the balance they have.

I honestly can't comment on the actual abilities of these guys because I've never had the chance to aircheck them, but I can tell you that there is way too much emphasis put on the American-style broadcasting these days, which is to say, people care more about entertainment and less about information. 

Personally, I'm fine with "boring" if that means I'm getting the info....I don't need some clown show trying to be funny. As an example, I've never understood the love affair with Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole. Give me someone like Cory Woron any day, who doesn't try to be funny, but just gives you the straight goods. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I honestly can't comment on the actual abilities of these guys because I've never had the chance to aircheck them, but I can tell you that there is way too much emphasis put on the American-style broadcasting these days, which is to say, people care more about entertainment and less about information. 

Personally, I'm fine with "boring" if that means I'm getting the info....I don't need some clown show trying to be funny. As an example, I've never understood the love affair with Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole. Give me someone like Cory Woron any day, who doesn't try to be funny, but just gives you the straight goods. 

I'm on the other side of the fence, for sure.  I expect entertainment.  Does anyone actually get "info" from the radio anymore?  I can get more information from 10 minutes on the internet than a 3 hour radio show will ever provide.  I'm there for the banter, the discussion, and the entertainment value.

The Cory Woron vs Jay/Dan comparison is a little different.  Woron is great as a pure highlights guy.  But he's never going to carry a show like the Jay and Dan podcast, which is excellent.  Two different mediums really.  That said, I loved Jay and Dan on Sportscentre, too.

i'm sure Edmonds appeals to the 50+ crowd just fine, but that's not the target demographic.

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I really like Jay & Dan. The issue with that style of tv/radio is that if you're going for funny, you better be funny. Some of the guys who try to replicate that just don't have it, and it's brutal to watch/listen to.

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I'm on the other side of the fence, for sure.  I expect entertainment.  Does anyone actually get "info" from the radio anymore?  I can get more information from 10 minutes on the internet than a 3 hour radio show will ever provide.  I'm there for the banter, the discussion, and the entertainment value.

The Cory Woron vs Jay/Dan comparison is a little different.  Woron is great as a pure highlights guy.  But he's never going to carry a show like the Jay and Dan podcast, which is excellent.  Two different mediums really.  That said, I loved Jay and Dan on Sportscentre, too.

i'm sure Edmonds appeals to the 50+ crowd just fine, but that's not the target demographic.

I think CBC changing from Strombo to Mac goes to show that the "target demo" isn't as young as some people previously thought. But you aren't wrong....each to their own. Some people like the funny, some people don't. I think "funny" is such a personal thing...I've been a radio junkie my whole life and I don't ever remember thinking a radio DJ was funny ever...

5 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I really like Jay & Dan. The issue with that style of tv/radio is that if you're going for funny, you better be funny. Some of the guys who try to replicate that just don't have it, and it's brutal to watch/listen to.

This is so true...you have to know who you are and be comfortable with that. I am the least funny person I know, and I'm okay with that, so I don't try to be on air.....

5 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Very, very true.  The worst thing about Jay & Dan is that they spawned this new generation of anchors who desperately try to be funny but are not, at all.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think CBC changing from Strombo to Mac goes to show that the "target demo" isn't as young as some people previously thought. But you aren't wrong....each to their own. Some people like the funny, some people don't. I think "funny" is such a personal thing...I've been a radio junkie my whole life and I don't ever remember thinking a radio DJ was funny ever...

That's true.... but that was an extreme case.  MacLean was beloved by Canadians and Strombo was a pretty jarring change.  I didn't mind him but I can't blame people for reacting the way they did.  It was hard to buy Strombo as a "hockey guy."  I also think he took an unnecessary amount of blame for the poor ratings situation.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Marcoux and Edmonds both do a good job when filling in on H and L.

Interesting that Marcoux and Leibl both started at the station at the same time, prior to it becoming TSN1290. They've had completely different career arcs (for whatever reason). I like Marcoux but not sure he could carry the morning show.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

I can't agree with your Westwood assessment. I really, really like the guy and give him the benefit of the doubt but he's a terrible radio guy.

TSN1290 is primarily a Jets (hockey) station, with other sports mixed in, and Westwood offers no insight to hockey.

His manner of speaking drives me bananas. The Troy-isms, the "level of understanding", etc.

Edmunds was great.

I'm guessing Toth might be a front runner? Can't say I remember much of his work as I never listen to OB, with the exception of pre and post game coverage.

I dont think westy is a terrible radio guy, but hes pretty much the nut job for pure entertainment value. Hes good as a 3rd wheel, not bad as a strong personality for some one else like walby to bounce off of. 

Liked edmunds alot, he and westy for instance were good together to off set each other. 

Toth wouldnt be bad, never minded him. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I dont think westy is a terrible radio guy, but hes pretty much the nut job for pure entertainment value. Hes good as a 3rd wheel, not bad as a strong personality for some one else like walby to bounce off of. 

Liked edmunds alot, he and westy for instance were good together to off set each other. 

Toth wouldnt be bad, never minded him. 

That's a great point about Westwood. I do like him but I could use a bit less of him (or someone else there too).

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

That's a great point about Westwood. I do like him but I could use a bit less of him (or someone else there too).

yeah hes best in moderation or well off set by some one. I wonder if 1290 might try to poach doug brown since ob is too cheap to even send him on the road. 

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

yeah hes best in moderation or well off set by some one. I wonder if 1290 might try to poach doug brown since ob is too cheap to even send him on the road. 

I like Brown but I would prefer they bring a hockey guy in. I find they spend too much time on the NHL but, since they do, it would be nice if they had some expertise.

That becomes a pretty big team to have on a morning show each day. Producer (Brandon), Matt's replacement, Westwood, plus one more. Lots of mouths to feed there for a low rated program.

Just now, JCon said:

I like Brown but I would prefer they bring a hockey guy in. I find they spend too much time on the NHL but, since they do, it would be nice if they had some expertise.

That becomes a pretty big team to have on a morning show each day. Producer (Brandon), Matt's replacement, Westwood, plus one more. Lots of mouths to feed there for a low rated program.

agree with them spending too much time on nhl. 

id like to see some one with more diverse sports knowledge and bring that diversity to the station but it wont happen.