Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Morning Big Blue

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

M.Silverback

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by M.Silverback

  1. I'd be in favor of some type of arrangement like this. I heard Randy Ambrosie on the Waggle podcast (episode 201), and he talked about a relationship with NFL and advice from Roger Goddell. My take was that the CFL would do it, but, the NFL is reluctant. From their perspective it's really just an additional expense. They already pluck the best players off CFL rosters every year. And I think a lot of NFL teams would rather have their best prospects close by on the practice roster, working with the position coaches and roster players. Doesn't mean it could never happen. I just think that the CFL might have to bring more to the table. Not sure what that would be. Might be time to float the idea/beg the NFL again.
  2. Interesting idea about asking the NFL for some assistance. Wonder if the CFL brass has considered it? I wonder if the NFL would consider it. I agree on both your points - the NFL could definitely afford to provide some type of assistance, and the CFL's existence is a good thing for the NFL. My only question/concern is that once you accept that money, create that relationship, you likely change the CFL to some extent. You'd have to think there would be concessions to the NFL. Maybe not a full "minor league" arrangement with the NFL, but, I'd think they would want more control over players, free agency, etc. Maybe not a terrible thing though. Might be time for a formal working arrangement with the NFL.
  3. Scouting report at the time - "And he ran, he ran so far away ... he couldn't get away"
  4. Agree. There's a required baseline level athletically, depending on the position and level of football. If you have that, or exceed it, you have a chance to make it. But, if you have it, and your scouting report includes "if he stays healthy" or "low football IQ" or "can't run patterns" or "difficulty shedding blocks" or "misses tackles" ..., athletic ability likely isn't going to save you, because someone in training camp competing against you can do that. You'll end up being a Crossfitter, not a pro football player.
  5. I'm no CFL draft expert, but I watched most of McGill's games this year, saw a couple in person, and Andrew Seinet-Spaulding looks like a CFL nose tackle to me. Won the J.P. Metras Trophy as best USports lineman. Mock drafts have him as a about a fourth rounder. Not sure why. Size? Six feet - 285. Looked bigger to me. Was quick off the ball and disruptive despite being double and triple teamed in RSEQ. You're welcome for the drafting advice Kyle. 😄
  6. Definitely the safest approach to cancel. Plus, they had the global players participating from around the world, which also increases risk. I love watching the combine - bit of a draft geek. But, drafting players without benefit of a combine really provides an advantage to the teams that have great Canadian player scouting and evaluation. In other words, the Bombers will be just fine in terms of drafting.
  7. New pro leagues struggle in part due to: Lack of regional allegiances – No history with team in that region. The Seattle Dragons are not the Green Bay Packers, Saskatchewan Roughriders, LSU Tigers, Oklahoma Sooners … Poor level of play – Can never compete with the established leagues initially – NFL is vastly better; CFL is much better at present. Lack of star players – Unless a new league can poach existing stars like the WHA or USFL did, there are not any name players who drive interest in the new league. New leagues can overcome this, but, it takes time. And in that time you will lose money. The WNBA is an example. Started slow, now it is very entertaining basketball with star players who are being marketed. Always secondary to the NBA of course, but a very good product on its own. Also was being propped up financially to some extent by the NBA.
  8. Good point. NFL games have become super expensive in most markets. And with TV coverage being so great, sitting at home watching in HD is a pretty good option. I've gone to a few NFL games and I'm glad I did, but, not sure it was money well spent. CFL games are inexpensive and fun. Sounds like the XFL games are too.
  9. That's fair. I'd say we're threatened in the sense that if the XFL does succeed it will impact the CFL in terms of recruiting or retaining talent. Hasn't happened yet to any large extent though. That's great! I think that speaks more to St. Louis being an excellent sports city than the draw of the XFL or the quality of play. St. Louis should have an NFL team. Shameful that they don't. I think the XFL is doomed to fail, despite some good markets like St. Louis, and despite potential streaming revenue. The CFL is around the same scale in terms of attendance, TV, etc. But, it's apples and oranges. The CFL is an entirely different game, also showcasing Canadian talent. It will always have a draw to Canadians. And the TSN numbers look small, but considering the population, aren't bad. TSN also renewed their contract, so they must be doing alright with it. I know many fans who prefer Canadian football to American. The XFL is a vastly inferior version of the NFL, unlikely to have any star or high profile players emerge. Maybe a few that end up on an NFL roster. I don't think American fans will watch or support that in the long term. It also doesn't have the appeal of supporting a favorite college team, even if the level of play is decent. And no hating here. Thanks for the insights from someone who has been to an XFL game.
  10. Fans are calling for him to be replaced by Paul Bearer.
  11. Interesting. Judging by this and how quickly he flamed out in the NFL, it appears that Anthony Calvillo was more responsible for the success that Trestman had than the other way around.
  12. Can we get Burris signed to an XFL contract? He'd make a great heel. Maybe take a chair shot?
  13. You're right, I find the comments section there really confrontational and rude. That said, have to agree that I don't think Streveler would appreciate the Cardinals GM calling him a CFL legend. I love Streveler, but, the jury is out as to whether he will or would have become an above average CFL starter, never mind NFL. Plus, I'm getting my back up because that type of comment I feel disrespects the CFL. BLM - call him a legend. Streveler - a great athlete, competitor that we're excited about - there's your quote Mr. GM!
  14. I agree Rose might be back. Sayles will be in tough in Minnesota. They're definitely drafting a CB, and perhaps signing an NFL free agent DB. Kongbo - I'd say for sure he makes the practice roster - low risk, high potential reward type player. Streveler - a "legend" according to the GM of the Cardinals. Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, Anthony Calvillo, Damon Allen, Tracy Ham, Dieter Brock, ... and Streveler? I think this guy needs a little CFL primer. https://3downnation.com/2020/02/16/arizona-cardinals-gm-steve-keim-quarterback-chris-streveler-is-a-legend-in-the-cfl/
  15. Overpaying receivers really scares me. Signing free agent receivers scares me - past trauma from Bowman and Matthews. I think to balance the cap you really need your scouts to find lower priced American WR's to fill a good portion of your roster. There are so many decent WR NFL cuts. Bombers haven't been great at that, but, I'd rather spend on the positions that make a bigger impact on winning, especially in the playoffs - Oline, Dline, QB. As you said, having arguably the best receiver in the CFL didn't really move the needle much for the Argos last year.
  16. I thought MBT looked pretty good in the games I saw. Certainly played well against the Bombers when they beat them. He's not a scrub. He's been in a lot of NFL camps because he has talent. I like Nichols, but, this will be a competition, larger salary or not.
  17. Hope so too. But, MBT is a gamer. He's not going to concede the starter job easily. Hope Nichols shoulder is close to 100%.
  18. True. And players love playing for O'Shea. For real. That means something.
  19. If I were a CFL player I'd want to maximize every dollar I could in terms of salary offers. This isn't the NFL where if you made $30 million versus $20 million your retirement life isn't much different. Most CFL players are looking at getting some type of job post playing days. So, getting an extra $60K salary or so over a couple of years makes a big difference. No hard feelings from me if WJ signs elsewhere for more money. Love to have him back though.
  20. Does anyone know if WJ has any NFL offers? Or is he strictly considering CFL at this point?
  21. I don't get it. McMahon is obviously a smart man who has been incredibly successful. But there's no evidence at all that American fans will support a second rate pro football league. What's the plan? NFL expansion? It'll happen in London England before the St. Louis Battlehawks join the NFL. TV and streaming revenue? Honestly, CFL 2.0 is a better plan for getting some online streaming revenue in a few years once there's some decent roster players from Japan, Germany, France ...
  22. You're totally right. But, we're also seeing that NFL teams are re-considering paying huge $ to a pass rusher when it comes time to a second contract. It's why the Raiders traded Khalil Mack, who is fantastic, but couldn't get the Bears into the playoffs alone because their QB sucks. I heard on Minnesota sports radio suggesting trading Danielle Hunter to move up in the draft to get Tua Tagovailoa - a potential franchise QB on a rookie contract, partly because Hunter will want to be the highest paid DE in the NFL next contract (his third).
  23. I think so too. He's worth that much in terms of talent level. But, not in terms of tying up that much cap space for that position, considering the impact and cost of a near replacement level player.
  24. I love Willie Jefferson. But, I also trust that Kyle Walters will not overpay for a position where there are other options. Lesser options, but, options that can provide 75% of the production, at 50% of the salary. Ja'Gared Davis potentially, as some have mentioned. Actually had more sacks last year. Not as much of an impact player, but, still effective.
  25. Me too! This is testing my In Kyle We Trust mantra. Particularly if it means we're losing Petermann.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.