Everything posted by M.Silverback
-
2021 Blue Bombers Training Camp/Pre-Season Stuff
You're right about next season. For this year, Hamilton and Toronto are in a much better spot than the Bombers if whoever their QB1's are go down. A bit scary in a shortened season for the Bombers. Can only hope McGuire is a phenom.
-
CFL/XFL Exploring Alignment
You could be right! Can't fault Ambrosie and CFL owners for considering all options for growing revenue. That's the thing that drove me nuts with the anti XFL'ers. I'm not pro XFL merger, but the "let's just keep the CFL the way it is" crowd were delusional. Owning a CFL team was, and still is, a money pit. Maybe single game betting is the answer.
-
2021 Blue Bombers Training Camp/Pre-Season Stuff
Good points. The role of RB's in general is changing in football. Many NFL teams are going to the RB by committee approach, not overpaying a feature RB, and making sure the RB is versatile - can catch and pass block. I love Harris, but I also think we could get 80% of his production from our current Canadian RB committee. Especially with our O-line. I think the Canadian mafia might be ahead of the curve - why not have the RB position as a national position, and use the extra import in what is now a more impactful position - DE, DT, CB, WR? Plus, if you cannot find a decent Canadian RB, finding an American one is pretty easy.
-
2021 (??) CFL Season
You're right. I guess the good news is most CFL teams are in the same spot - unproven back up QB's. The Argos have the best QB depth right now. And Streveler - not sure he's even a quality starter in the CFL, but as a Bombers legend, he is officially welcome back at any time, in any capacity.
-
2021 (??) CFL Season
I'm so glad we're back debating the back up QB situation rather than talking about covid! Welcome back CFL! Finding a back up QB in the CFL is challenging. It's not like the NFL where you can overpay a veteran guy to hold a clip board, or basically put all your eggs into the starter basket and don't even have a capable back up (Vikings 2020). In the CFL because of the limited $, you definitely have to find and develop QB's and hope they turn into starters. But, because the O-lines are worse than the NFL, and because it's a passing league, CFL starting QB's tend to drop like flies. Rare for one to make it through an entire season, as we as Bomber fans have witnessed. Based on that, the fact is we have an unproven back up - McGuire. He may be good. And I'd have him as QB2. But, as a Grey Cup contender, I'd feel a lot better with some type of cheap vet back up QB on the roster who has played a few CFL games. If Collaros goes down, and McGuire isn't ready, we're in trouble.
-
CFL/XFL Exploring Alignment
Man that made me laugh! Well done. Best description I've seen of TSN in general.
-
CFL/XFL Exploring Alignment
It’s not great news. But his insights and analysis of the situation were excellent. I’d rather have a reality check. Great questions! I think based on Naylor a big driver of this is gambling. Football gambling is huge, and filling a gap between the NFL season might be the thing. I know people that live in England that bet on the NFL every week!
-
CFL/XFL Exploring Alignment
Excellent insights and analysis from Dave Naylor. https://youtu.be/OTGQpdluvbY
-
CFL/XFL Exploring Alignment
That would be ideal, I just don't think it will ever happen. We have to remember, Ambrosie is not going rogue on this. He's following the wishes of the owners. I would think every private owner in the CFL is open to some $$$ from the Rock. They were losing money before COVID. Lawless said on Peterson's podcast that the Montreal owners basically bought the team with the intention of the CFL looking for other avenues to increase revenue. To be clear, I love the CFL! I just am facing the reality that we are in now, and have been in for a while. The CFL is in trouble financially. Pre COVID I was thinking it was only a matter of time before the CFL would have to look at some type of single ownership model to survive. Didn't predict it may be with the People's Champ though.
-
CFL/XFL Exploring Alignment
Exactly! I haven't listened to the Doug Brown clip, but did he offer any alternative solutions? I haven't really heard any viable solutions from anyone who is vehemently on the anti-XFL talk side. If the solution is continue business as usual, my response is ...
-
CFL/XFL Exploring Alignment
You're right, that's the best option. But unless those dud franchises (BC, Toronto, Montreal) turn it around financially, start getting some actual decent attendance (unlikely), I don't think the TV deal grows. I think it disappears. I think TSN would likely drop CFL football if it was a six team league with no presence in the largest markets in Canada. The CFL is in a real dilemma.
-
CFL/XFL Exploring Alignment
I'd contribute. But I think that's a one-off. Not sure that's a sustainable revenue model. And government support ... given what the government has chosen to support, I would like to think the CFL would also be considered. But again, that's not a long term revenue model.
-
CFL/XFL Exploring Alignment
I think there's all types of different options for revenue. Not sure if I read it here, or Twitter, but seems like CFL fans immediately get very defensive about the sanctity of the CFL game, status quo, but have zero solutions for the bottomless pit of revenue in our largest markets. Worse, I know some personally who never attend Bomber games (NFL fans) but want to preserve the CFL product! At least pony up for some season tickets if you're going to take that hard a stance.
-
CFL/XFL Exploring Alignment
My preference is for the CFL to survive and thrive on it's own, a unique Canadian league. But, realistically, the CFL was in trouble before COVID, and now 😲 I'm not sure these discussions lead anywhere, but can you blame Ambrosie and the league for considering it? Considering everything? How long do you think Toronto, Montreal and BC can survive as CFL franchises? My son plays USports football in Montreal and I swear there is more buzz for the three RSEQ teams located in Montreal than the Alouettes. If it's a choice between no CFL and some hybrid CFL/XFL/international football league, with the Bombers still part of it, I'll take that option. Maybe! I vote the Rock, who then has to fend off a hostile take over from Stephanie McMahon and Triple H.
-
2021 (??) CFL Season
Wonder who will be throwing to him.
-
Bombers Signings
I love this hit so much! It's the type of hit you'd see in a football movie for dramatic effect, but generally not something that would ever happen. And yes, I think Hansen is going to become a rotational pass rusher in addition to being a special teams monster.
-
2019-20 CFL Offseason
I agree with the critics of CFL 2.0 who say that the CFL's first priority should basically be to get it's own house in order - better relationship with the CFLPA; better salary cap structure and management; some type of revenue sharing model; focus on large market fan engagement, etc. However, to me it's not either/or. The CFL should do this and I still think it's worthwhile exploring a 2.0 type plan of trying to find streaming/TV revenue from other countries. Plus, developing players for other countries is kind of exciting. Wasn't that long ago that the thought of a Swedish or Finnish superstar hockey player seemed absurd. Who knows with football? The NFL is also doing a low key version of this with global players, so Ambrosie is not way off on this one.
-
2020 Thread
That was my take initially. Then I saw this article from Justin Dunk. https://3downnation.com/2020/08/17/the-cfl-wanted-to-be-treated-different-than-every-other-canadian-citizen/ If there's any accuracy to it, sounds like a bunch of CFL owners really didn't want a CFL season this year. A 7% loan is reasonable but they probably thought why take a 7% interest loan plus lose money on the season. Guaranteed the Bombers wanted a season, but bet Toronto, Montreal, BC said no.
-
2020 Thread
Good article by Justin Dunk. He usually has pretty reliable sources. https://3downnation.com/2020/08/17/the-cfl-wanted-to-be-treated-different-than-every-other-canadian-citizen/ Key quote: According to sources, the league could have landed a loan, which had the potential to max out at $60 million, with a four-year payback period and increasing interest rates each time the calendar flipped over that topped out in the seven percent range. The same loan financing programs are available for eligible businesses in the mid-market program. However, the league said no thanks and continued on its quest for interest-free money. Two things - First, seems like the "high interest loan" cries might have been BS. topping out at 7% is a reasonable loan. Second - You have to wonder if maybe the private owners (Montreal, Toronto, BC) have been directing Ambrosie. Never seemed like they wanted to have a shortened season, and maybe they don't want to be on the hook for a 4 year loan. Maybe they're the ones floating the "high interest loan" story and pushing for an interest free loan. Bad times for the CFL.
-
2019-20 Grey Cup Champs Off-season discussion.
Totally agree. I really miss sitting outside on a beautiful summer evening at IG Field watching football. Or going to the Banjo Bowl every year. The energy and excitement. Loved it!
-
2020 Thread
That is the scary question. Like you said, the CFL may have to change it's entire business model. Pretty much every pro sports league is going to have to adjust their business model in this new world. The CFL is a lot more vulnerable as a league than most. As for how to do this - not sure where to start really. I think two things have to be considered: 1. Flattening of player salaries. Maybe raise the minimum salary, and impose a maximum salary. That might entice players to come and stay with a higher minimum salary; and it also protects against bad decision making by teams signing QB's to almost million dollar contracts, crippling the cap. Players end up earning very similar salaries (XFL and AAFL were proposing that model), which might control the cap rising too much, too fast. 2. Have to continue to find additional revenue sources. The theory behind CFL 2.0 was solid - give players from around the world a chance, and hopefully create a fan base that will stream games from other countries. Can they continue this in the COVID age? Not sure. But, if the CFL is counting on only gate revenue and TSN, they are in trouble. I love the CFL. I really hope they can figure it out.
-
2020 Thread
Not to be Debbie Downer here, but, another update from Dave Naylor and Farhan Lalji. https://www.tsn.ca/video/naylor-some-within-cfl-concerned-clock-will-run-out-on-potential-2020-season~2012795 Not sure the issue of guaranteed contracts can be settled. Too much risk on both sides, as Naylor and Lalji point out. Players understandably want some guarantees if they disrupt their lives, come to the bubble, and COVID stops the season. And owners understandably don't want to pay out guaranteed salaries if the season stops in a year where they're already losing a ton of money. I really miss the CFL, but, I don't think it can happen this year.
-
2020 Thread
Good update article on the CFL status by Dave Naylor. Not looking promising for a 2020 CFL season. https://www.tsn.ca/talent/where-things-stand-with-a-2020-cfl-season-1.1507703
-
2020 Thread
Wow! So the federal government has become an ATM for Trudeau friends and family, but Fat Tony when it comes to the CFL. Nice.
-
2019-20 CFL Offseason
You're both bang on about the CFL and CFLPA. I'm sure both have some responsibility in how fractured the relationship is, but, it has to stop. This is a pro league teetering on the edge. It's collaborate or die really. Ambrosie certainly deserves the criticism he's getting, but, I still think his CFL 2.0 global player idea had some potential as a revenue source pre-COVID. Untapped potential TV, streaming fan bases if a few global players actually became CFL stars.