Alex Singleton: the best Canadian linebacker you’ve never heard about

This is interesting! The bloke was released by the Vikings a few days ago and, rather strangely, is eligible for next month's CFL draft.

And there's a Bombers connection:

And he’s become workout buddies with Bombers’ standout linebacker Khalil Bass.

“They say game-wise the players are just as good as in the NFL. They love the stadiums,” Singleton says. “Khalil now always says you’re lucky because you’re Canadian and they get paid.”

Singleton was invited to the CFL Combine in March, but because he was under contract with Minnesota at the time he could not attend. Vikings’ general manager Rick Spielman gave the go-ahead for the linebacker to do a video conference call, which allowed CFL evaluators to interview Singleton.

“I want to play this game until I can’t play anymore and if it takes me up north – I will go wherever it takes me,” Singleton says.

http://3downnation.com/2016/04/16/15832/

It would be nice if we could get him but it sounds like he could be drafted way before we get our first pick.

Edited by Fred C Dobbs

6 hours ago, coachrock said:

what the logical landing spot for him? who starts canadians at LB? toronto?

Any team with need of a starting canadian. Also, any one who signs henoc would be in a good spot with him backing up.

Bc had waggoner neg listed as an imp and was about to sign him but didnt spend the pick on him.

I found that part of the article kind of strange. I always believed that in order to acquire national status, a player had to spend 5 (?) years in Canada as a youth. It appears that when it was discovered that his mother is Canadian, he became eligible for our draft and Ottawa lost his neg list rights. Just like that?!!!

Edited by Dee Urban Hermit
Forgot to add quote

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Any team with need of a starting canadian. Also, any one who signs henoc would be in a good spot with him backing up.

Bc had waggoner neg listed as an imp and was about to sign him but didnt spend the pick on him.

I'm pretty sure it was reported BC did try to use their 1st to get Waggoner.

1 hour ago, Dee Urban Hermit said:

I found that part of the article kind of strange. I always believed that in order to acquire national status, a player had to spend 5 (?) years in Canada as a youth. It appears that when it was discovered that his mother is Canadian, he became eligible for our draft and Ottawa lost his neg list rights. Just like that?!!!

That changed in the last CBA. You only need to be a Canadian citizen which is granted automatically to children of Canadian citizens no matter where they were born or lived. All he would need is to get a Canadian passport. It's the thing Waggoner had to do.