Wrestling

Rich

WWE released the list of participants in their cruiser weight Classic tournament.  Some interesting names. 

The list:

• Kota Ibushi
  • Gran Metalik
  • Tajiri
  • Zack Sabre Jr.
  • Noam Dar
  • Cedric Alexander, who was expected once he left ROH recently
  • Da Mack - A Germany wrestler
  • Tony Nese - from Evolve, and announced this past week
  • Zumbi - A Mexican wrestler who had been working for Elite Lucha Libre  but had kind of disappeared and his name was known in Mexico is coming here
  • Clement Petout - a bodybuilder from France
  • Fabian Aichner - a bodybuilder from Italy
  • Harv Sihra - one of the Bollywood Boyz tag team from British Columbia and half of the GFW tag team champions
  • Gurv Sihra - the other half of the tag team and brother of Harv
  • Rich Swann - Who was announced even though he's been out of action with a shoulder injury but has apparently healed up
  • Brian Kendrick
  • Akira Tozawa - One of the top stars in the Dragon Gate promotion
  • Jack Gallagher - a U.K. wrestler
  • Johnny Gargano - a regular in NXT
  • Tommaso Ciampa - another regular in NXT
  • Ho Ho Lin - A small wrestler from Hong Kong
  • TJ Perkins - The former Manik from TNA who was recently cut by that promotion and works for Evolve
  • Anthony Bennett - A New Jersey independent wrestler
  • Drew Gulak - A top independent star
  • Tyson Dux - The veteran Canadian independent star
  • Lince Dorado - a masked Florida independent wrestler
  • Sean Maluta - the nephew of Afa Anoa'i, so related to a number of current WWE stars
  • Raul Mendoza - Known as Jinzo in Mexico from the DTU promotion
  • Kenneth Johnson - a  Detroit based independent wrestler
  • Alejandro Saez - A wrestler from Chile who is known as XL
  • Damien Slater -An Australian based independent wrestler
  • Jason Lee - A longtime wrestler out of OVW
  • Arya Daivari - The younger brother of Shawn Daivari, the former WWE star

id guess Kota ends up the star of the tournament. Great talent. Omega's former tag team partner in Japan. 

7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I didnt get a chance to watch RAW beyond the first couple of matches last night but from what I read, Titus is getting a push so I wouldnt think he's being punished.

You wouldn't know it from last night. Rusev squashed him.

I just remember watching the Monday Night Wars on WWE Network when Chris Jericho gave his notice that he was leaving with about a half year left on his contract to WCW & Bischoff made his life miserable for about 3 months before suspending him with pay for the duration... That notion about O'Neill doing penance for grabbing Vince McMahon after his suspension popped into my head.

Edited by iso_55

Yeah. But Rusev is better. I like Titus but him getting a US title match is silly. He is going to lose. He should lose also. Rusev just won the belt. Titus is fine. I don't think he's very over tho. But I like him. He's a good hand but he just for some reason hasn't really connected with the audience as much as maybe he should. 

Edited by Goalie

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

Yeah. But Rusev is better. I like Titus but him getting a US title match is silly. He is going to lose. He should lose also. Rusev just won the belt. Titus is fine. I don't think he's very over tho. But I like him. He's a good hand but he just for some reason hasn't really connected with the audience as much as maybe he should. 

Oh I agree.  Rusev is tremendous.  And Titus hasnt been properly built up.  Before his suspension they were actually doing an old fashioned build for him where he would just win a match every week.  And his reactions were growing.  Then, if I recall, they had him lose inexplicably....and then the suspension happened.  I think they are either trying to rapidly re-build him so he's a decent mid-card guy for the brand split or its just a place holder program until the brand split.  Possibly they are "rewarding" him for taking his suspension like a champ.  Working with Rusev at house shows and PPV will mean a few extra bucks in his pocket.

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 3:22 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

Lowest rated RAW since 1997.

It has become so formulaic.  How many times have we seen different permutations of matches between the Money in the Bank participants?  There is no must-watch factor.  They are just killing time between PPVs.  There are good matches but no meaning to them.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Wrestle

Ya that's obviously not true.  His matches during his US Title reign last year were consistently the match of the night.

His match against CM Punk on RAW a couple years back is still one of the best matches I've ever seen.

But ya it's cool to hate Cena, I get it.     

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Ya that's obviously not true.  His matches during his US Title reign last year were consistently the match of the night.

His match against CM Punk on RAW a couple years back is still one of the best matches I've ever seen.

But ya it's cool to hate Cena, I get it.     

I was being facetious.  He's very good at smartly working a basic match but for the time he's been in the business, he's actually very poor.  His general mechanics are awkward.  But he usually works people who are either very good workers (AJ, Punk, Hunter etc) or guys who can at least have good basic matches where you can use smoke and mirrors (story telling) to hide it.

I dont hate Cena at all.  But his limitations are very apparent and while he is a huge star, there are guys who, with the push he's received for years, had/have the chance to be huge stars too.

I think Cena is probably a better wrestler than people give him credit for. He is probably somewhat restricted tho in what he's allowed to do. He's not awful but he's not Cesaro either but he's decent enough. Cena is a star cuz like him or not he has a presence about him. It's not how he's booked... it's just how he is. You either got it or you don't.  Cena has got it. Besides since when did being a great wrestler matter to wwe. I mean Hulk Hogan was champ for years. Sucked in ring while guys like Mr perfect and Rick rude and steamboat put on the classics... hogan much like Cena put the asses in the seats.