Wrestling

Rich

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I can understand Malenko leaving. What he been in the business, 30 years of crushing travel & scheduling? I hope he has some semblance of a home life with family. 

Well he’s now official for Starrcast so it makes me wonder if he was told no and he said forget it, im going and I quit. 

Hes a second generation wrestler.  It’s in his blood.  And agents are employees so they get road expenses covered plus a really good benefits package. I doubt he left just because he’s tired.  But you never know.  Timing is very interesting. 

Wwe has recently hired a bunch of new agents like Helms Dutt Abyss Jarrett.. So Malenko? Who cares. Time for some fresh new ideas.... Personally if i was running WWE id clear out every agent who has been there forever... And bring in fresh blood

59 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well he’s now official for Starrcast so it makes me wonder if he was told no and he said forget it, im going and I quit. 

Hes a second generation wrestler.  It’s in his blood.  And agents are employees so they get road expenses covered plus a really good benefits package. I doubt he left just because he’s tired.  But you never know.  Timing is very interesting. 

He has been there forever and was likely going to be replaced shortly with the newer producers. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Wwe has recently hired a bunch of new agents like Helms Dutt Abyss Jarrett.. So Malenko? Who cares. Time for some fresh new ideas.... Personally if i was running WWE id clear out every agent who has been there forever... And bring in fresh blood

Doesn’t matter as long as Vince is calling the shots. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

He has been there forever and was likely going to be replaced shortly with the newer producers. 

They’ve had new and young agents for awhile.  Tyson Kidd got rave reviews.  Jarrett is hardly a young guy. 

Losing anderson and dean might seem like nothing.  But that’s a ton of knowledge.   I’m not sure why a young guy is automatically better than a veteran. But sure. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

They’ve had new and young agents for awhile.  Tyson Kidd got rave reviews.  Jarrett is hardly a young guy. 

Losing anderson and dean might seem like nothing.  But that’s a ton of knowledge.   I’m not sure why a young guy is automatically better than a veteran. But sure. 

Sorta like every old white guy (anyone over 45) is a racist.  ;)

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I'd assume the idea would be the old guy would be out of touch of what fans want these days and by bringing in the young guys it will somehow change the current product.  I completely disagree with this. 

37 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'd assume the idea would be the old guy would be out of touch of what fans want these days and by bringing in the young guys it will somehow change the current product.  I completely disagree with this. 

Yeah I don’t think it necessarily works that way. I’m not sure she matters.  Billy Gunn is an agent for AEW.   He’s younger than Anderson & Dean but still. 

Plus the old guy that matters is Vince.  The agents are messengers for Vince.  

Im all for new blood but not just for the sake of new blood.  They’ve brought on several new agents.   I haven’t heard anything about dean but a lot of talent was upset to lose Anderson.  

16 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I just feel, if i was in charge,  guys who have been there a long time likely get to comfortable.. Im not saying losing Malenko and Arn is a good thing, i just dont think its necessarily a bad thing either. The new agents like kidd daivari dutt jarrett abyss etc replace the knowledge of arn and Malenko (Simon Dean) and bring new ideas. I get Vince is the issue.. Im just saying, i dont think its that huge of a loss in the long run. 

46 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I just feel, if i was in charge,  guys who have been there a long time likely get to comfortable.. Im not saying losing Malenko and Arn is a good thing, i just dont think its necessarily a bad thing either. The new agents like kidd daivari dutt jarrett abyss etc replace the knowledge of arn and Malenko (Simon Dean) and bring new ideas. I get Vince is the issue.. Im just saying, i dont think its that huge of a loss in the long run. 

If the wrestlers are unhappy Malenko left then it is a big deal. 

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

It was a bigger deal Anderson was fired because of his position. 

Companies have turn over so it’s not that big a deal. But in the midst of a lot of guys wanting our of wwe it is interesting 

2 hours ago, ediger said:

Anyone attend the CWE anniversary show last week? Looked like a really good card but I wasn't able to make it down. Would love to catch the next PCW show (dog collar match!!!) but I've already got tickets for a concert that night.

I couldn’t attend either but I heard good things.  New champion!

Jon Moxley (@JonMoxley) Tweeted:

heck of a slickly produced video for an “Indy” guy. I wonder who produced it....

interesting thing is, one of the reasons wwe was so open about him leaving was their belief he wasn’t going to AEW, that he just wanted time off and would likely return to WWE. 

From wwe.com   Goldberg!

RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA and STAMFORD, Conn. — The Saudi General Sports Authority, in partnership with WWE, will host an event at the King Abdullah Sports City Stadium in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, on Friday, June 7, at 8 p.m. AST. The event will feature WWE Superstars Roman Reigns, Undertaker, Kofi Kingston, Braun Strowman, Seth Rollins, Goldberg, AJ Styles and Brock Lesnar, and stream live on WWE Network

For those that like the business aspect, here is the opening of Dave Meltzer's newsletter, discussing WWE's quarterly earnings report:

Before the 4/25 WWE earnings report, analysts who, for average, pegged the stock value at $105 or greater per share, noted that the company would likely lose money in the first quarter and it was nothing to worry about given the new TV contracts and huge profits coming in October.

So what happened?

First, the company greatly missed on analysts predictions, falling $15 million to $17 million short on revenue, and losing about $8.4 million during the quarter as opposed to the $700,000 to $800,000 loss number that was projected.

The stock, which earlier in the week topped the magic $100 per share mark, closed on 5/1 at $82.63 per share. It had a big decline after the telling results of the quarter, which continued for a few days. It started coming back but then fell another $1.22 per share on 5/1 after the announcement of the Saudi Arabia show. It left the company with a market value of $6.449 billion.

Still, the company’s long-term economics are no different today than they were a few weeks ago. But for the first time, the stock market analysts did start to notice what fans have noted for years, that the real economic engagement metrics and metrics of paying popularity are declining at a significant rate, and getting worse.

The problem is that, while fans know there are issues with the company, when it comes to creative, creating stars and connecting with a very unique audience, many others have been buffaloed for years with the fake stats that, quite frankly, a lot of investors are buffaloed by. But in this case reality hit. All those billions of social media followers and trillions of YouTube views, yet all that does is expose how meaningless those numbers are when every single aspect of consumer spending on business was way down even without figures in those categories comparing favorably to even people like the NFL and NBA.

EDIT:

And if we need any more proof Vince has lost it, this is his answer to the question of declining metrics:

“We had a very unusual situation in terms of top talents as well as mid-card talent being out, some 15 talents, of course, in that period. When you don’t have talent, you don’t have storylines, you’re not going to do that well in terms of live events , in terms of television ratings, it was like a cascade of things that happened. I’m happy to say, we have all those challenges. But in addition to that, we have new challenges coming in.

“And during that period of time, when top talent was out, we made new talent, and just to belabor the point in terms of where we are with the quarter, but the future, and when you look at that and I’m not trying to pull the future for you guys, except to tell you what it’s going t be like. We’ve hired new people on the writing team that are going to help us out in terms of television ratings and digital, social, all that sort of stuff. We’ve got a new team in terms of live events that have just started now. So we’ll see the live events are going to continue on an upward trend.”

Huh?

EDIT:

For the first three months of 2019, WWE generated $182,448,000 in revenue, and ended up with $8,396,000 in losses. The same three month period last year generated $187,721,000 in revenue, but posted a $14,835,000 profit.

There are a few things notable in these numbers. The first is that taxes make the gap between the two years seem closer than they really are in profit/loss. The company’s net, before taxes, this year was a loss of $11,349,000, but the company received $2,953,000 from the government due to the losses when it came to taxes. And the losses were actually due to $12,828,000 in senior management compensation due to bonuses paid this quarter based on meeting performance levels in 2018. Last year the executive bonuses were $7,073,000.

There’s something totally legal but amazingly unsettling when you think about the tax implications in this first quarter, a company that paid nearly $13 million in bonuses and got a $3 million tax break to cover a percentage of losses both in the same quarter.

But due to increased spending, even factoring that out, profits were way down.

Last year, the actual pre-tax profit was $20,052,000, but they paid $5,217,000 in taxes.

On 12/31, the company had $359,143,000 in tax and tax equivalents, although a large percentage of that money came from loans taken out earlier. On 3/31, that figure was $338,208,000 representing the decline in cash itself taken out in the quarter.

Besides the actual money losses, why this figure declined even more than the losses is because it would also factor in the $9,364,800 paid in dividends this quarter.

EDIT:

The expected OIBDA for the first six months of the year is $31 million to $36 million, but they expect at least $165 million for the last six months of the year, with more than$100 million expected in quarter four.

The added spending is, among other things, in spending money to sign more talent, opening new training centers, getting ready for changes (tiered pricing and new content) in the WWE Network and producing more market specific localized television content in new markets

Edited by The Unknown Poster