Wrestling

Rich

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Word is making the rounds that WWE fired their lead RAW writer Ed Koski.  He's been there since 2001 and is a VP so its big if true.  Allegedly not due to the awful bookings and bad ratings though...  hmmmm

It was Callahan. Not Koski

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

In a different world had Owen lived I think he would of surpassed Bret Hart as being the all time best wrestler from the Hart family.   The guy was much more entertaining and from what I've read a great character and has his head on straight.

26 minutes ago, Brandon said:

In a different world had Owen lived I think he would of surpassed Bret Hart as being the all time best wrestler from the Hart family.   The guy was much more entertaining and from what I've read a great character and has his head on straight.

He was already my favorite Hart.  I was a big fan of his in Stampede and was disappointed when he finally got to New York just to get saddled with the Blue Blazer gimmick.  His 2nd run there didn't look like it would be much better (High Energy) but he eventually came into his own.

47 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I dont know about that.  Although some guys claim he was better then Bret but as far as everything goes in wrestling, I dont think he would have surpassed Bret.  His wife claims he was already looking to retire and spend more time at home (I dont think he would have because the money was too good).  But as good as Owen was, and was really good, Bret is one of the all time best.  

Hard to see a career trajectory for Owen after 99 where he'd have been elevated any higher.  And WWE wouldnt let him go to WCW.  By the time his deal would have been up, WCW was dead.  

8 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

He was already my favorite Hart.  I was a big fan of his in Stampede and was disappointed when he finally got to New York just to get saddled with the Blue Blazer gimmick.  His 2nd run there didn't look like it would be much better (High Energy) but he eventually came into his own.

They really didnt see him as anything which is crazy.  The Owen vs Bret angle was originally proposed as Bret vs Bruce.  Can you imagine?  Bret said he'd only do it with Owen and had to use his stroke to get Owen that spot.  Owen was awesome.

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

They really didnt see him as anything which is crazy.  The Owen vs Bret angle was originally proposed as Bret vs Bruce.  Can you imagine?  Bret said he'd only do it with Owen and had to use his stroke to get Owen that spot.  Owen was awesome.

Sadly, that's not hard to believe.  They didn't see much in Bret initially either, the way he tells it (Cowboy Bret Hart?).  For as many great gimmicks as they've come up with, they've also had a ton of duds.  Lots of great workers were ignored or over-looked because they didn't fit the mold Vince was looking for. 

Thankfully, this has changed (to an extent!) over the last number of years.  We still get the Baron Corbin's but guys like Rey would never have been anything more than a joke back then.

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

Sadly, that's not hard to believe.  They didn't see much in Bret initially either, the way he tells it (Cowboy Bret Hart?).  For as many great gimmicks as they've come up with, they've also had a ton of duds.  Lots of great workers were ignored or over-looked because they didn't fit the mold Vince was looking for. 

Thankfully, this has changed (to an extent!) over the last number of years.  We still get the Baron Corbin's but guys like Rey would never have been anything more than a joke back then.

Well in their defense Bret wasnt much at the time...he was talented but only went to WWE because Stu made the deal to sell Stampede.  But you raise a good point about guys doing more for themselves then the "writers" and how the culture has changed a lot.  I cant remember which of Bret, Jim or Jimmy made the Hart Foundation suggestion (I just saw it discussed recently but cant recall).  But they had to come up with their own idea or they'd have been screwed.  And at the time, Jim was considered the better of the two...lol

Daniel Bryan had his balls cut off when he came back and was sinking...his heel turn was his idea and he pushed hard for it and had enough stroke to make it happen.  Meanwhile, the Revival try to push their own ideas and look at them.

Vince is in panic mode now..should be fun to watch at least.  USA and FOX are not happy.

32 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Rhyno claims he is leaving WWE in July and turned down a WWE offer worth double his current contract.  I think he should have taken  it!

If it was strictly a money thing, then I agree he should have taken it.  His best before date is well in the past but it sounds like he actually wants to give back to the business a bit and pass on some advice to younger guys on the indy scene.  He's got ties to Impact (D'Amore & Callis) so I could see him ending up there as well.

Just now, bigg jay said:

If it was strictly a money thing, then I agree he should have taken it.  His best before date is well in the past but it sounds like he actually wants to give back to the business a bit and pass on some advice to younger guys on the indy scene.  He's got ties to Impact (D'Amore & Callis) so I could see him ending up there as well.

Yup. I read the article and sounds like he wants to transition to an agent type of role. 

56 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

That’s true. I didn’t consider impact.  Although I hear Callis makes a ton, I wouldn’t think they’d pay agents a lot but you never know. 

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

He was better at cutting promos as well. Brett often would stumble on his lines.

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He was better at cutting promos as well. Brett often would stumble on his lines.

Nooooo. Bret was a way better promo.   Its a weird myth that Bret wasnt a good promo.  He was very good.  Owen was decent when he turned heel though.  But he'll forever be known for the "I kicked your leg out of your leg" line...lol

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

"Yous... Yous guys are nothing but wolf... Sheep in wolf's clothing! You're prancing around nude in some mag... some girly magazine... well I think it was a GAY magazine!" - Bret Hart

And ****, Bret, clear your damn throat! But still, definitely one of the best ever.

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Nooooo. Bret was a way better promo.   Its a weird myth that Bret wasnt a good promo.  He was very good.  Owen was decent when he turned heel though.  But he'll forever be known for the "I kicked your leg out of your leg" line...lol

5 hours ago, ediger said:

"Yous... Yous guys are nothing but wolf... Sheep in wolf's clothing! You're prancing around nude in some mag... some girly magazine... well I think it was a GAY magazine!" - Bret Hart

And ****, Bret, clear your damn throat! But still, definitely one of the best ever.

I always felt that Brett seemed nervous when he couldn't be himself in front of the camera. He did flub a lot of lines while Owen seemed a little more at ease than his older brother. Owen was a way better heel than face

Bret was way to coked out to cut a good promo.   He was terrible on the mic.   It was his wrestling skills and his ability to carry people to good matches what got him over.  

Owen had the whiny thing going for a while but when he went heel an feuded with Bret he was miles better on the mic.  In ring I would say they were very comparable with Bret being slightly better.   

39 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Bret was way to coked out to cut a good promo.   He was terrible on the mic.   It was his wrestling skills and his ability to carry people to good matches what got him over.  

Owen had the whiny thing going for a while but when he went heel an feuded with Bret he was miles better on the mic.  In ring I would say they were very comparable with Bret being slightly better.   

Terrible on the mic? Haha did you even watch wrestling?  

22 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Terrible on the mic? Haha did you even watch wrestling?  

Bret was not smooth on the mic at all,  very forced.   The only thing that made his promos decent was that he wasn't saddled with a crap gimmick so his promos felt less cheese then many of the other guys in his era.  

Shawn Micheals and Austin and the other guys that he had his biggest feuds definitely carried him in the promos.  

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Bret was not smooth on the mic at all,  very forced.   The only thing that made his promos decent was that he wasn't saddled with a crap gimmick so his promos felt less cheese then many of the other guys in his era.  

Shawn Micheals and Austin and the other guys that he had his biggest feuds definitely carried him in the promos.  

Austin was a great promo. Michaels was okay.   Bret was way better.    Who carried whom in 97?