Wrestling

Rich

7 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Really makes you think, though.  I'd be more interested in his record in a single day, how many women at once, and maybe to hear some horror stories of hookups gone wrong.

lol that would make for an interesting read.  Ric Flair's Greatest Exploits!

One of the reasons he has financial issues is due to generosity.  He always liked everyone else to party.  I remember when he was in TNA, they went to the UK for shows and he'd always pick up the tab for everyone at the bar after the shows.  It was TNA's policy to pay the boys at the end of the tour but Flair went to them half way through asking for his pay because he had no money...and wanted to keep picking up the tab!

Heard another story.  Can't remember where it was, but Flair enters a nice bar with the local sports team owner or someone of that ilk.  Place is packed and everyone recognizes the entourage.  Flair is acting super chill and professional and laid back.  The group is taken upstairs to a private dining room.  Some time later, Flair comes back down to the main bar area, still very quiet, and speaks to the bartender and goes back to the dining room.  Bartender begins handing out drinks to everyone - Flair had come down to buy everyone a drink.  After while, the entourage comes down to leave.  Flair holds the door open as everyone exits and before he goes, he makes sure none of his party can see, he turns around, gives out a big "Wooooo!", does a little dance and exits.

Also, Flair has a certain predilection when it comes to his ladies... "No hair, no Flair".

TUP may know better... but I thought I heard that Flair used to be used by the boys to buy everyone everything and that he used to carry their bags and would try to buy everyone off for acceptance.    

A good listen was when the Rock N Roll Express were on his podcast and they mentioned quite a few exploits of picking up ladies and the crazy nights out that they had.   He most definitely had a lot of over the top stories of picking up ladies and being the man at lots of clubs.    

19 hours ago, Brandon said:

TUP may know better... but I thought I heard that Flair used to be used by the boys to buy everyone everything and that he used to carry their bags and would try to buy everyone off for acceptance.    

A good listen was when the Rock N Roll Express were on his podcast and they mentioned quite a few exploits of picking up ladies and the crazy nights out that they had.   He most definitely had a lot of over the top stories of picking up ladies and being the man at lots of clubs.    

Flair has consistently been one of the most respected guys everywhere he went.  Especially during the territory days you had to be respected to go into multiple promotions and be put over. 

They used to put the world title on a legit tough guy to avoid screw jobs but Flair was not a tough guy. There was even a trip to Japan where they sent Harley Race with Flair as his bodyguard. Lol

he did always pick up the tab though.  They used to say he’d be the last one to leave the bar st night but the first one on the gym in the morning. And then go 60 minutes that evening. Sometimes twice 

super respected. 

On 9/27/2017 at 4:22 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

Sounds like Rock n Roll express vs Anderson & Gallows at WWE Starrcade in November.  That sounds....interesting. 

Will Jim Cornette be at ringside screaming at the camera "YOU ******* MILLENNIALS! DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE SEEING! LOOK AT THEM SELL!!! LOOK AT THAT WORKING PUNCH!!!"?

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What goes around, comes around. Two decades later.

To me WWE comes across really humorless.  Bucks spoof them and they're pissed.  But on every Monday Night War retrospective, they show the "invasion" (which was really lame) as cutting edge and cool.  The fact the Bucks are making a ton of money off merch is probably what is annoying WWE.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

To me WWE comes across really humorless.  Bucks spoof them and they're pissed.  But on every Monday Night War retrospective, they show the "invasion" (which was really lame) as cutting edge and cool.  The fact the Bucks are making a ton of money off merch is probably what is annoying WWE.

Why would Mcmahon really care?  He should laugh it off & move on.

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The time they invaded WCW arena was kind of interesting...  could of been way cooler.      The time ECW invaded WWF was super lame...     Both of them were not nearly the best parts of that era...

The ECW invasion was a work.  The WWE invasion of WCW was a shoot.  It was totally cool in that it was showing WCW (sort of) on RAW.  But DX was so **** scared of getting arrested or having a shoot fight (none of DX were really tough, X-Pac being the smallest and toughest) that they were pretty lame.  They actually thought WCW was going to send their shooters like Haku out to fight them and didnt want that to happen. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why would Mcmahon really care?  He should laugh it off & move on.

They are super protective of their position as rulers of the world.  The legitimate perspective is, if you own trademarks you have to defend them no matter what or it can be used against you.  In the case of the Kliq hand sign, there is a real question of whether WWE owns it.  They were denied a trademark on it in 2015 when they wanted to scoop it from New Japan (they tried to license Bullet Club but New Japan wasnt interesting in selling).  The North Carolina state college used the sign for years and WWE admits DX saw it in Europe for something and began doing it.  So its unlikely WWE can ever claim it.

But for Bucks to assert fair use, they'd have to go to court and WWE would just bankrupt them.  As it is, Bucks dont use the symbol on their Hot Topic clothing which are #2 sellers at that chain (I think Bucks said they sold 300,000 or 500,000 shirts in six months) so its not like its killing them.

Wont be known to a lot of us here but a very respected and highly involved guy over the years.

Wrestling Observer:

The pro wrestling world lost one of its most treasured voices this morning.

Lance Russell passed away at 91 years old after complications from a fall. He was hospitalized after breaking his hip in a fall on Friday, which was the second time he had fallen last week.

Russell's daughter also passed away on Friday after battling cancer. We all send our thoughts to the Russell family during this difficult time.

Aside from being the host and voice of Memphis wrestling, Russell was considered one of the nicest people to ever be part of the pro wrestling business. He was also a television program director, putting wrestling in its Saturday morning time slot in Memphis where it had tremendous success.

Russell worked for WCW and Smoky Mountain Wrestling towards the end of his career as well.

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

I was recently watching some old clips of Vince McMahon when he was an announcer.  God he was good at that.  I'd hope the biopic will include a lot of the early days and not just Attitude era Vince.... as great as that was.

He was the ringside pbp announcer in the 80's & into the 90's until he became the "Mr. McMahon" character. Yes, he was very good. First with Jesse Ventura, then the Macho Man & finally Jerry Lawler. 

Just now, bigg jay said:

I was there.  It was my 1st WWE event in many years so I can't really compare it to anything. 

Upper deck was closed off & so was one end of the rink (for the stage) but the seats that were available were pretty packed. 

They always sell out the seats they make available here. TV or PPV is coming.