Wrestling

Rich

Hey my post was silently edited by a mod.  Lol.

Anyways, that's a good point @Goalie.  I have to agree, it is difficult to make a compelling women's program with only 6 women on each show.  This should make it more interesting but is there enough screen time for all of them?  Maybe we start to see more women's tag matches, etc.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Anyways, that's a good point @Goalie.  I have to agree, it is difficult to make a compelling women's program with only 6 women on each show.  This should make it more interesting but is there enough screen time for all of them?  Maybe we start to see more women's tag matches, etc.

Thanks for the reminder.. The other rumor that has been out there for a while... Your last sentence... Womens tag division. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Lots of insiders dont think so. I think the reason for the call ups is simple. Instead of using the same 4 women every Raw and Smackdown.. They can use more. Ive heard rumors of the all woman royal rumble but apparently its not true.. Ive also heard rumors of a all womans tv show or ppv tho. 

Well they did the women's network special but it didnt do as well as the cruiserweight version.  So Im not sure they'd spend more time and effort on a women's only show.  They are considering a mixed men/women concept for a new show that will start out as a Facebook live exclusive in the new year.

The Women's Rumble has been on the table for a year or two now and I think its definitely worth doing.  I'd do it as a 20 women Rumble (not a 30) and I'd ditch the stupid rule where women dont have to go over the top to be eliminated. 

Given that SD and RAW had an almost-identical angle for debuting new women, its possible the two are connected.  But its just as possible its lame booking. 

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Sort of a chicken & egg thing.  More women with terrible booking wont lead to more interest.  It will just lead to more boring multi-person matches.  They've terribly mismanaged Bayley and Sasha especially and Asuka has been given no favours either. 

They should have created a women's tag title off the hop and I'd hope that is the plan now.  If it was me, I'd have not had two world women's champions, I'd have had one tag and one world.  But WWE would likely create two tags, one for each show.  Which is better than doing nothing I guess.

They could also be looking to replace some women though they usually save releases for after WM (they just released a few people recently though).   It might be as simple as the impending angle with Ronda Rousey that they want more women as a way to promote the idea that their women's division is equal to the men.  But that angle will mean another 4 women on the main roster.

Just now, Atomic said:

Huh??  Was there a battle royal at some point where this was a rule??

usually the women only have to be knocked through the ropes to the floor to be eliminated.  I assume because they are smaller.  But to me, that's an advantage in story telling because it creates a tougher elimination and more drama.  The women are mostly all good athletes so they should be able to handle it.

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

usually the women only have to be knocked through the ropes to the floor to be eliminated.  I assume because they are smaller.  But to me, that's an advantage in story telling because it creates a tougher elimination and more drama.  The women are mostly all good athletes so they should be able to handle it.

Ah yes.  Probably much more difficult to flip over the ropes when they are basically at shoulder or head height.

22 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Yeah. Not official but unofficially id say tag division

The brand extension makes it tricky, IMO.  Do you bring in a women's tag championship for both brands?  That would be really tough to do and you'd have to bring in even more women than they have now.  Or is it cross-brand?  Maybe has a home on RAW and a separate women's show, like the cruzies?

Oh also we should mention the "Bludgeon brothers" - Rowan and Harper.  Silly name and I'm not really sure what the gimmick is supposed to be, but they looked awesome in their "debut" against the Hype Bros.  Their ring gear is pretty cool and they both look like they've been working hard.  I'd like to see them challenge the Usos for the tag titles at Clash of Champions.

On 22/11/2017 at 3:58 PM, Atomic said:

The brand extension makes it tricky, IMO.  Do you bring in a women's tag championship for both brands?  That would be really tough to do and you'd have to bring in even more women than they have now.  Or is it cross-brand?  Maybe has a home on RAW and a separate women's show, like the cruzies?

I wonder... We are all here guessing what they will do. Wonder if they are doing the same. 

18 hours ago, Atomic said:

Oh also we should mention the "Bludgeon brothers" - Rowan and Harper.  Silly name and I'm not really sure what the gimmick is supposed to be, but they looked awesome in their "debut" against the Hype Bros.  Their ring gear is pretty cool and they both look like they've been working hard.  I'd like to see them challenge the Usos for the tag titles at Clash of Champions.

Harper is really good.  Im pulling for him.  I believe it was the European tour where they had a few matches and did one or two in their old gimmick so its possible the higher ups were sold initially.  But whatever gets Harper pushed is fine by me.

On 11/22/2017 at 3:58 PM, Atomic said:

I thought it should have been a Women's Single title on one show and Women's Tag on the other.  There was talk initially of only one Women's Championship but that would have meant women on only one show (RAW because its longer) and they want women at the house shows.  So if you have women on SD, they need something to fight over.

But if they introduce a tag title, I'd strongly suspect there would be one each show.  I havent heard anyone else talk about the idea though.  They've kicked around a mixed tag show (for their FB exclusive) so they're far along in the idea stage and I cant believe they'd bring in six women without at least a slight plan.

Generally the idea is more titles makes them all mean less.  But good booking trumps all.  New Japan has a ton of titles but they mostly all mean something and the fans buy the title matches.

Batista says he's in talks to return and it would be "full time" (ie. working house shows).  I imagine if true, it would be short.  A Rumble-WM time frame, maybe a bit longer.  I believe the House Show thing because he did it last time and enjoys doing them.  But with the films he's making, he cant spare the time for very long.  Plus, there is the insurance issue.  Rock got in some **** when he did WM and got hurt, delaying production on, I think, Hercules.  Although Rock's insurance is probably a lot more than Batista's!

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Batista says he's in talks to return and it would be "full time" (ie. working house shows).  I imagine if true, it would be short.  A Rumble-WM time frame, maybe a bit longer.  I believe the House Show thing because he did it last time and enjoys doing them.  But with the films he's making, he cant spare the time for very long.  Plus, there is the insurance issue.  Rock got in some **** when he did WM and got hurt, delaying production on, I think, Hercules.  Although Rock's insurance is probably a lot more than Batista's!

I've always liked Batista.  I think it would be a pretty good pop if he returned, although the fans might turn on him quick so a short term return would probably be ideal.

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Quick shout out to any of you that might have attended the sold out  Kenny Omega show last night.  Thank you for coming! It was a special night and a lot of fun!  And we discussed something even bigger and better if we can pull it off! 

It was a really fun show! Was going to come by and say hi but it looked like you were pretty busy at the time. I heard a number of people outside talking about how they came for exclusively for Kenny Omega but ended up really enjoying the whole thing. Hopefully they decide to start coming out on a regular basis. Kinda surprised the ring survived the opening match. That was a lot of beef in the ring!

1 hour ago, ediger said:

It was a really fun show! Was going to come by and say hi but it looked like you were pretty busy at the time. I heard a number of people outside talking about how they came for exclusively for Kenny Omega but ended up really enjoying the whole thing. Hopefully they decide to start coming out on a regular basis. Kinda surprised the ring survived the opening match. That was a lot of beef in the ring!

I really appreciate the kind words. Traditionally the big names draw a crowd and it doesn’t sustain which is understandable.  Some new patrons did buy tickets to the next show though so hopefully we converted a few!

speaking of the ring, how the heck do you get marshmallows out of canvas?

next time you come please do come say hi!  Never too busy. 

Don Callis is now a Vice President of Impact.  Its interesting because jericho had teased some positive news for Impact in 2018 and Don has contacts with New Japan.  Word is talks continue between Impact, ROH and New Japan.  Mostly, I cant see it amounting to much.  But Don is a smart guy.  And he has the right friends (ie. Jericho & Omega).

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Broken Matt is back.  And it's delightful.  Notice the silence for Bray and the pop every time Matt appeared on screen. 

Played-out gimmick.  This won't last.

It was a phenomenon when it started out but now it will just be silly.  This is like trying to bring back the NWO.

Just now, Atomic said:

Played-out gimmick.  This won't last.

It was a phenomenon when it started out but now it will just be silly.  This is like trying to bring back the NWO.

I dont agree.  I think Broken Matt achieved a cult following but it was still just TNA.  Its amazing that 300,000 or so watched Impact every week but when Matt walked out at WM, the entire building is chanting delete, delete, delete.  So the gimmick transcended TNA for sure which is surely why WWE is willing to go with it.

To me, the bigger issue is not whether Matt is played out but whether WWE will ruin it.  Hopefully they are behind it in a big way BUT let Matt drive the creative bus.  I wasnt a fan at first as it seemed stupid but then I really grew to love it because its so unique and different.  I thought that video above was the best thing on a good RAW.  Matt is tremendous.  And its worth it for WWE as well because I think it could be a merchandising cash cow, of which the Hardy's always sell big anyway.  But its another stream.

But...good or bad, it will likely be spectacular either way! lol