Game 59 : Stars @ The Tanker ... Airport 79

Journalist Sara Orlesky discovers that her married boyfriend, Kevin Cheveldayoff, heads an NHL team that is involved in tanking for a high draft pick. To stop her from going public, Cheveldayoff deceives her with promises that changes will be made during the off-season. It is up to coaches Paul Maurice and Wade Flaherty to keep the team's playoff hopes alive and intact in the face of repeated attacks from Jets fans sent by Cheveldayoff.

Starrring...

Ondrej Pavelec as the goaltender who can't stay up

Andrew Ladd as the Captain forcing the team to trade him

Jacob Trouba as the defenceman with a secret

and

Toby Enstrom as 'the little man'

The movie starts Tuesday at 7PM. Seats are available.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

....IF this teams main aim was to finish in the basement, so they could finish high in the draft, then somebody should be fired...Is that the only way now, for Canadian teams to build...cuz if it is the fans are being short changed bigtime...All Canadian cities have teams that look like bottom feeders or dumpster fires...Is it that quality players don't want to play in the country that founded hockey, and can see themselves only as 'pay me the millions' Americans ...I try not to be too negative but this latest NHL scenario is not looking good for the league ...To put into perspective...starting on the west coast, Canucks,Oilers,Flames,Jets,Leafs, and Habs all stink....Hockey fans in this country need to see some change or they'll start walking away..

Sometimes, things just don't go the way you want them too, I'm sure they never expected them to be this bad, and reality is, they haven't been as bad as it appears, They are a very good team when it's 5 on 5, their 5 on 5 possession numbers are very good... What's really killed the Jets this year is their special teams.. the PP is awful, the PK was awful for a very long time, when you were losing games by 1 or 2 goals and giving up 1 or 2 PP goals against per game, that's the difference. 

Fix the PP and PK for next season and this team improves significantly. 

It really has been the difference between wins and losses in lots of games this year.

Not saying it's an easy fix but... you can start by firing the PP and PK coach. 

I don't believe for a second the jets planned to tanks this year. They did make some decisions with rookies but I suspect their thought process was to play rookies and give them time and maybe it works and worse case scenario they get key development time and the team continues to get good picks for the future 

Maybe the thought was, they could sign guys like Stemp,Tlusty, etc, some veteran players and maybe make the playoffs only to lose in the fist round again or just miss out and get another pick in that 10-14 range or they could give a couple rookies a chance (armia,ehlers,copp) and see what happens. 

Personally, I'd be a lot more worried if they signed the vets and the team missed the playoffs again, which would be likely, cuz like it or not, those vets don't make this team go from bottom 3 to a playoff team... 

I guess, Look at florida, that's the Jets model really... Lots of draft picks playing for that team, but they had to bottom out first and get a 2nd overall pick in Barkov who wasn't even playing last night and a 1st overall pick in Ekblad to really put them over the top. 

Edited by Goalie

24 minutes ago, Stickem said:

....Hockey fans in this country need to see some change or they'll start walking away..

But they always come back. We've had 20+ years of only the US teams winning. We had 10 years of US teams outspending Canadian teams to buy the cup. We've had ticket prices increasing, work stoppages...

Canadian fans are very forgiving.

While i agree to a point about Florida and what they have done in the last few years, they have played 21 seasons a been in the playoffs 4 times, personally would rather follow models set up like Chicago, Anaheim , and LA where you have a core of 4-5 players and the rest are moved out and replaced as needed. Moving forward we need to find 4-5 core guys and at the moment looking at our NHL roster i see only 2-3 who could be core guys who will still be here in 5 years.

Edited by bustamente

Scheifele,Ehlers,Trouba are definitely core guys moving forward, I'm not 100 percent sold on Trouba tho but... I think he has potential to be very good but at the same time, It wouldn't upset me if they moved him for help elsewhere.

Kyle Connor will be a very good player for the Jets also. Kid has star written all over him. 

Hellebuyck i think makes a big difference also  to this team in the future. 

Some pieces are there, Others aren't. I agree change is needed. I'm just not sure how much. I don't think it's as much as some think but i don't think it's as little as others think either. 

I think coaching plays a role and i'm probably not as sold on Maurice as i was before. He makes some very head scratching roster decisions at times. 

I'm not sure if he's gonna be the coach when this team is ready to compete on a consistent basis.

Edited by Goalie

Wheeler and Buff are for sure but they are also not as as young as Scheif,Ehlers,Trouba, Helle,Connor etc... throw Lemieux in there 2 cuz i think he's gonna help the bottom 6 out significantly. 

Coaching is a question mark tho, it really is. 

Helle was over played, Maurice rode him in to the ground, similar to what Claude Noel did with Pavelec the first 2 seasons back... guy played 2 many games in a row at times, Maurice needs to learn that sometimes a kid you just called up from the minors needs a break, he needs a rest, sit a game or 2, let hutch play..

It was actually ridiculous how much they rode Hellebuyck in to the ground here.

Goes back to the Moose and is 3 0 0 with a ridiculous save percentage and a a ridiculous goals against average. The guy is good, he just was so over played. 

I like that they worked Helle that hard it gave them an idea of what he could do in the NHL with a heavy workload and i think they were very happy with what they saw, moving forward we are set in net,  as for core guys most of the roster will be different in 5 years that's why it's really important to get a top 5 five pick this year and maybe next year, players who will hopefully become that cornerstone 's for years to come and be part of a team contending for the cup.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Wheeler and Buff are for sure but they are also not as as young as Scheif,Ehlers,Trouba, Helle,Connor etc... throw Lemieux in there 2 cuz i think he's gonna help the bottom 6 out significantly. 

Coaching is a question mark tho, it really is. 

Helle was over played, Maurice rode him in to the ground, similar to what Claude Noel did with Pavelec the first 2 seasons back... guy played 2 many games in a row at times, Maurice needs to learn that sometimes a kid you just called up from the minors needs a break, he needs a rest, sit a game or 2, let hutch play..

It was actually ridiculous how much they rode Hellebuyck in to the ground here.

Goes back to the Moose and is 3 0 0 with a ridiculous save percentage and a a ridiculous goals against average. The guy is good, he just was so over played. 

Sssooo... are you implying that Hellebuyck was over-played?  I can't tell.

Was worried we were going to get a point there for a second.  Whew.

Pavs is back to old Pavs... a little too slow post to post, trying to make acrobatic saves after being out of position

Enstrom still pauses just long enough to let the goalie set up for his shot

Classic bogus penalty call in 3rd

Ladd had great game, Scheif really good, lots of Jets played well

Like the Postma-Chiarot pairing

Lowry looking really bad these days, might be time to send him down again...  flat-footed a few times

Burmi still playing like junior

Do we have a fourth line?

Edited by Floyd