World Juniors

Rich

There has really been no discussion here on the World Juniors this year (of course this may be because the site was down for most of the tournament)

Looks like Canada is about to lose to Sweden.  We don't look to have a very strong team this year.

Have to admit I haven't watched or followed a whole lot of the tournament, especially with so few Jets prospects out this year.  

Has anyone been watching?

It's not so much "not very good" as "really young". This tournament is often referred to as a "19 Year Old's Tournament", and we are a mostly-18s team. On paper, talent doesn't seem to be the issue, but a lot of questions have been raised about cohesiveness and discipline. There appears to be a lot of guys without specific roles and not sure what's expected of them. Not sure if that's on coaching, or Hockey Canada, or what. At any rate, they're on pace for their worst finish since the 1998 Kazakhstan debacle...

Have a look a the coming draft projection, not to many Canadians in the top ten, the world is catching up to us and we have to realize that we are not the dominant country in hockey like we used to be. This junior has some talent but are very undisciplined and there goaltending is average to poor. Remind you of any  team we know. 

9 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

A year ago fans were singing the virtues of our young talent at the WJT as well as up & coming Jets team. A year later no prospects at the same tournament & the  Jets mired in last place. WTH happened?

Most of the Canadian prospects from Canada are either too old for the tournament or playing in the NHL.   Lots of 18 year olds in an under 20 tournament. 

As for the Jets, it takes time for prospects to make an impact.  You don't go from playing in the Juniors tournament to making a huge impact in the NHL. 

Jets also have drafted Americans more than Canadians. Seriously. Scheif Petan Morrissey and Comrie are the only jets Canadian drafted guys who played juniors and Lipon I suppose but none are eligible anymore. Last year... Connor an American and Roslovic an American were drafted 

Might be relevant if Americans want to play in or close to their home town or State. I'm sure a lot of Minnesota, Wisconsin & Massacheusetts players would like to play for the Wild, Hawks & Bruins. Once we draft & develop Americans would most of them eventually leave?

Edited by iso_55

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

Might be relevant if Americans want to play in or close to their home town or State. I'm sure a lot of Minnesota, Wisconsin & Massacheusetts players would like to play for the Wild, Hawks & Bruins. Once we draft & develop Americans would most of them eventually leave?

Can't worry about this IMO.  With restricted free agency, you have enough time to show your organization and city.

How many players actually play for their home city in their career.  When is Toews coming home?  

Jets seem to scout the US College system more than other teams, at least for now.  I think they see real value when some of those players drop to their drafting position.

You always take BPA and worry about the rest of it later.  

Speaking of Toews, the Hawks have thrown a ton of money at him & he is the talk of the Windy City. Would you come back? Canadians like living in the US. Americans for the most part don't. Now, if it's a Swedish or Russian player & they want to play in the NHL they'll come here as they're so far away.

Great gold medal game going on right now between Russia & Finland.  I was shocked that this wasn't the bronze medal game since the US & Sweden were on a roll while the Fins & Russians only looked slightly better than average.

Finland is less than a minute away from a come from behind victory that I don't think anyone saw coming.