Game 37 : Jets v2 @ Jets v1

It means very little. I dunno...

It's a tough one actually, do i feel we should have the Jets 1.0 history? The current Jets that is? No. Do i feel Arizona should have it? Not really. 

If it was the same owners that owned the original Jets then sure... But the Jets 2.0 as much as some want to believe, they aren't a reincarnation of the Jets 1.0

The Jets 1.0 is in Arizona, we have Atlanta... It is what it is. 

Does it make me kind of sick to my stomach reading about things like that? Sure.. Do i care all that much tho? Not really cuz in my opinion, the Jets 1.0 are dead

Doan can pass Hawerchuk all he wants, it's irrelevant to me... they can have the records but... and i'm way 2 young to actually remember ducky.... They can't take the memories away.. Do i feel the Jets 1.0 records should belong to Winnipeg and perhaps be in the Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame? you bet. Will it ever happen? NO and i'm fine with that. 

There is precedent for the team history staying with the city (I cant remember where though, Cleveland?  Baltimore?).  But ofcourse, in the NHL at least, it always follows the team. 

I always thought it made a lot of sense for the Yotes to WANT to give back the history.  The timing seemed perfect with the Yotes having new owners and the Jets returning to do a history-transfer ceremony of sorts.  I assume Bettman would be fine with this as he seemed to be pushing True North towards using the Jets name and they ended up with the logos and trademarks of V1.0. 

Just seems to fit the idea that TN wants to honor the past "eventually".  Get the history back, for whatever its worth, so we can honor OUR players. 

When you hear someone say a current Jets player has X amount of franchise goals do you immediately wonder which Thrasher he passed or do you think back to Jets 1.0?  I dont give a lick about the Thrashers.

One question has been answered by the Wild though - alumni game includes both current and former North Stars players.  Which again, clouds the history issue.

Doan is a good guy, he's loyal and i understand some of his comments, he lives in phoenix, his family is there, he's had a long career... the fact is if this team never left winnipeg in the first place, it's likely Shane Doan is the captain of the current team that would be called the Jets. I can't blame the guy for a couple comments he made... cuz fact is, if i was a veteran of 17 years or whatever, maybe more.. and the team was possibly moving, i'd probably just retire 2. Why move my family for a year or 2. Makes no sense. 

15 minutes ago, Rich said:

So if we take the Jets 1.0 history, what happens to the Thrashers history?  Do the current Jets lose their franchise stats from Atlanta?

I would say yes.  Especially in the case of a situation like the Jets where it wasnt an owner relocating his franchise.  It was new owners.  New everything other than the players.  When the Jets 1.0 relocated, the trademarks reverted to the NHL.  The history should have also.  Then in the event a new team springs up, expansion or relocation, they have the option of keeping the history.

At some point TN is going to use those original Jets trademarks to make money.  And eventually they are going to honor "Winnipeg Pro Hockey" legends.  I say they should have it all back officially.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Fun fact: If Shane Doan scores 1 goal this game, just 1... he passes Dale Hawerchuk on the all time list for goals scored. 

goals for the franchise maybe....careers are not even close when you compare them....

no comparison really.

Doan 1412 GP     379G   536A      915P

Hawerchuk 1188 GP   518G   891A     1409P

The biggest difference in reality is not buff-trouba.... it's somebody else on the ice, probably the most important person on the ice. It's Helle. It's really that simple. When you win games 1-0 or 4-1 but give up over 30 shots each game, you aren't winning cuz your D is playing good, you are winning because your goalie is kind of standing on his head at times. 

Let's see the Jets do this against western conference teams and then I'll start to get a little more excited, beating eastern teams at home at MTS or on the road for that matter this year has not been a problem, they have a ridiculously good record vs the eastern conference.. It's actually one of the best in the league, top 5 i believe for sure. It's the western teams and their own central division that they are struggling against big time, You need to beat the teams in your own conference, specifically, your own division to have a chance. Jets haven't really done that yet. 

21 minutes ago, Ducky said:

goals for the franchise maybe....careers are not even close when you compare them....

no comparison really.

Doan 1412 GP     379G   536A      915P

Hawerchuk 1188 GP   518G   891A     1409P

Yup. For the franchise. Hawerchuk scored 379 goals as a Winnipeg Jet. Doan has now scored 379 goals for the same "franchise". Next goal, he breaks Hawerchuks franchise record of goals scored. 

IF he is half, he would be happy. I'd never take two Doans for one Hawerchuk. The kid took the team on his shoulders at 18 years old and at one time, they were considered a serious contender with Ducky as captain in the mid-80s.

I predict a win for the Jets in this game. They are getting some confidence and playing a lot better. There PK is much better and I like the lines that Maurice has came up with. I think Lowry and Ladd should play with each other more.

I don't think there is much of a comparison between Hawerchuk and Doan, I think Hawerchuk was by far the better talent.

But you also can't really compare the stats between the two.  Different eras.  No one puts up numbers like they did in Hawerchuk's time.  

Here is an interesting site that tries to adjust players points over the eras to compensate for things like differences in schedules, roster sizes, and the scoring of the time.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/points_adjusted_season.html

Hawerchuk is rated 43rd.  Doan is rated 78.  Still a fine career for Doan to be in the top 100.

9 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

KBF here reporting live from Phoenix. Will be in attendance tomorrow at the game. Flew down this morning with a plane load of Jets fans out of Vancouver.  Should be a good crowd!

Gotta hold up a Morning Big Blue sign!

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

I don't think there is much of a comparison between Hawerchuk and Doan, I think Hawerchuk was by far the better talent.

But you also can't really compare the stats between the two.  Different eras.  No one puts up numbers like they did in Hawerchuk's time.  

Tough to compare both. One played in the 80 and everyone scored in the 80's.

Doan is the more complete player but apples and oranges as far as im concerned.