Game 23 : Jets @ Caps

The problems begin and end with gifting spots to rookies. Afraid to sign Frolik because we might not be able to afford our RFAs (for some reason), assuming Copp would be better than Slater, Burmi would be better than Stempniak. I'm of the opinion that a team should never intentionally take a step back unless forced to by the cap like Chicago or LA after winning the Cup. We cheaped out and we see the results now.

Lets face it this team is full of average players there is not one player that you could consider a superstar and or franchise player. Wheeler is close Scheifele might be one Ehlers needs more years in the league. As for Ladd i think Chevy has pulled that contract offer that many have talked about, cant pay Ladd for past performances and will be traded at the deadline for a draft pick hopefully someone gives us a first. As for Buff he is troubling me at the moment seems to picks his spots when we wants to play and just does whatever he wants. Come the new year the picture will be much clearer and this team will probably be in last in the central and Chevy should rid himself of some veterans. 

The problems begin and end with gifting spots to rookies. Afraid to sign Frolik because we might not be able to afford our RFAs (for some reason), assuming Copp would be better than Slater, Burmi would be better than Stempniak. I'm of the opinion that a team should never intentionally take a step back unless forced to by the cap like Chicago or LA after winning the Cup. We cheaped out and we see the results now.

I dont think Chevy was afraid to sign Frolik.  If he made a mistake it was gambling that Frolik would accept less on a deal last season than he wanted the season before.  If I recall, we could have had Frolik on a 4 year deal at $4m when he was an RFA but the Jets thought it was too much.  Chevy said money wasnt the issue when Frolik became a UFA.  His wife wanted Calgary.  Not much you can do about that and we should not be paying an extra million for a guy to play here if he doesnt want to.

We gave big deals to Toby, Wheeler, Little (and Ladd in year one).  I dont think the Jets are cheap.  I think they are careful.  If Chevy signed Ladd for 6X6 in the summer, we would have applauded it then and regretted it now.

1290 (I think Westwood) was talking about the Ladd injury and how sports docs told him it can be difficult to recover from.

Its possible the Jets wanted to see if the team was a playoff contender before making final decisions on Ladd & Buff.  If the team was a contender then you perhaps spend a bit more to recoup them.  But should they blow $6m on Ladd and even more on Buff to be a team that isnt even competing for a playoff spot?  If this was March 1st right now (or whenever the deadline is), I'd be totally fine with moving both guys.  In fact, I'd insist on it.  As much as I like them both.  The time will come to crap or get off the pot, fish or cut bait.

I can't see Buff for Hamonic. If Buff was under contract for 3-5 years maybe the Isles would bite but he's a UFA so i think they won't even consider Buff.

+ if he had 3-5 years we would not trade him.

Just had this convo in the office.  Feeling is Buff is the better player, Hamonic the younger, better contract.  So all things being equal, its Buff for Hamonic +.  So considering the contract scenerio for Buff, what do we have to throw in.  And if we believe Islanders get the better player, do we feel comfortable throwing in anything?  Does it expand to incorprorate other players?

Does it turn into Buff & Ladd & Burmi & Pick for Hamonic, Strome, Pick?  or something in that general thought.  With the Isles getting the better players albeit with expiring contracts but a better shot at the cup and first crack at re-signing?  Or am I way off base?

Scheif is on pace for a 46 point season which is less than last year. The rookies aren't doing anything and neither is Lowry, Burmi and scheif is streaky to say the least.

St. Louis and Chicago have two rookies but how old are they?  23 and 24? first year rookies that were seasoned in the AHL.

We need goaltending and team defense first and foremost.

Helle needs to start a game soon. Hutch hasn't looked good at all recently. Tough to win when you give up 3 4 plus goals a game.

Yes, we absolutely need to show Hutch that there is no faith in him whatsoever. Call Comrie and tell him to get ready for when Helle doesn't have a great night, too. Let's see if we can burnout all our goalie prospects while Pav is injured.

Helle is way too talented to throw to the wolves like that. Let Hutch keep getting lit up if necessary. You said it yourself, this team doesn't have a sniff at the playoffs, so why expose Hellebuyck to that? Let Hutch be the sacrificial lamb because throwing Hellebuyck in now will just crush his confidence. The team isn't playing well in front of the goalie, that's the main problem here.

What were the realistic expectations regarding the Jets and where they would finish this year?

Playoff position? And then contend a little bit better?

Hard to say.

A few changes, but looking to the future is how I see the Jets putting together their roster. They've had a lot of good chances to draft players and they've drafted well.

But how to fit them in?

Tough process, but doable.

But where they're failing is in the basics of the game, not necessarily the talent.

They've had horrible, bottom of the league penalty-killing, and power play. 22nd and 27th respectfully.

They lead the league in taking penalties. This not only disrupts the lines, but also cuts into the new players' playing time.

Dominoes.

Our attack game is affected by this, and we have seen some effective offensive zone play...not so much finishing.

Also, their defensive zone work needs a lot of work. Very sloppy and incomplete. This leads to pressure on the goalies and bad goals. We've seen plenty of both.

Our goaltending has been -C, our defence is in the C category, save for Enstrom and Byfuglien, and our offence averages in the Cs with the exception of - Wheeler, Little, Scheifele, Ehlers, and maybe Perrault.

We are in the position we are because of how they're playing, not who they're playing. I don't disagree with our lineup right now except for maybe Peluso. Why he's still on this team...I just don't know.

Yup I agree. Hutchinson has been given the starter's role, again, and hasn't taken the reins. Helle HAS to get a chance tomorrow afternoon or Saturday night.

Why is Armia called up? Sit freaking Peluso and start Armia already. Let's see what he's got playing in the big league.

Tell Buff that if he isn't going to start worrying a bit more about D, he'll soon be a winger.

Myers has to play smarter too. Great offensive skills but not the best choices on the ice.

Trouba is just having a totally shitty year and has only shown flashes of what is expected of him. He has 1 point in the last 10 games.

Scheifele has 4 points in his last 10 games and 3 were against the Nucks in one game.

Ehlers has 1 point in the last 10 games.

Copp has 1 point.

Burmi has 1 point in last 10 as does Lowry (5 points for the year).

Myers has 3, and Enstrom has 8 all year.

Little, Ladd and Wheeler along with Buff are producing most of the Jets O. They have 59% of the goals scored this year andif you added Staffords 7, it would be over 70% of all goals scored this year.

The Jets have scored 61 goals and allowed 74...No wonder we aren't in playoff contention.