Game 23 : Jets @ Caps

The Jets better quell the Hamonic trade talks before this team hits the dumpster...And anyone thinking that this isn't having a negative effect on the team is kidding themselves...IF you are a Jets player and know that might be moved in a trade...well that is unsettling as it gets ...We know something is going on behind the scenes and so do the players...So my advice to the team is either poop or get off the pot before this season becomes a nightmare..I thought we had better management than what is being displayed at the moment. Just bull$hit.

The Jets better quell the Hamonic trade talks before this team hits the dumpster...And anyone thinking that this isn't having a negative effect on the team is kidding themselves...IF you are a Jets player and know that might be moved in a trade...well that is unsettling as it gets ...We know something is going on behind the scenes and so do the players...So my advice to the team is either poop or get off the pot before this season becomes a nightmare..I thought we had better management than what is being displayed at the moment. Just bull$hit.

Thats a good point.  I dont want to be critical of Chevy because I think he's done a generally good job.  But he seems to let things drag out and perhaps the feeling from management is "the players are millionaire professionals and they can self-motivate and they can handle their jobs" but the reality is, they are still human.

There isnt a single person alive who thinks its a good idea for Ladd's contract situation to drag on.  And while you cant rush a trade like Hamonic, it could certainly hang over player's heads.  I believe it was Wheeler who commented about contract talks dragging that as a player you want to know you're wanted and that your contribution is appreciated.

Chevy made a blockbuster deal in, what, a week?  Because he had to.  And yeah because he had a willing partner.  But man...letting this drag on.  Maybe it's ownership's vision...that its perfectly fine for players to walk if they wont accept our terms and we replace them with others.  But that HAS to have an impact on your players.

What is Chevy's end game here?  Hasnt even talked to Buff's agents.  Doesnt even have an idea what Buff wants.  If you've made the decision to part ways, then part ways already.

@sweep

What about them is very good? Not offensively. Neither is a particularly good penalty killer. Lowry can be physical but too often gets caught floating and is not a very good skater. Individually, they could play roles on a veteran line but together they just aren't good enough. Slater, Thorburn, and Stempniak were miles ahead as a 4th line.

The Jets better quell the Hamonic trade talks before this team hits the dumpster...And anyone thinking that this isn't having a negative effect on the team is kidding themselves...IF you are a Jets player and know that might be moved in a trade...well that is unsettling as it gets ...We know something is going on behind the scenes and so do the players...So my advice to the team is either poop or get off the pot before this season becomes a nightmare..I thought we had better management than what is being displayed at the moment. Just bull$hit.

Thats a good point. I dont want to be critical of Chevy because I think he's done a generally good job. But he seems to let things drag out and perhaps the feeling from management is "the players are millionaire professionals and they can self-motivate and they can handle their jobs" but the reality is, they are still human.

There isnt a single person alive who thinks its a good idea for Ladd's contract situation to drag on. And while you cant rush a trade like Hamonic, it could certainly hang over player's heads. I believe it was Wheeler who commented about contract talks dragging that as a player you want to know you're wanted and that your contribution is appreciated.

Chevy made a blockbuster deal in, what, a week? Because he had to. And yeah because he had a willing partner. But man...letting this drag on. Maybe it's ownership's vision...that its perfectly fine for players to walk if they wont accept our terms and we replace them with others. But that HAS to have an impact on your players.

What is Chevy's end game here? Hasnt even talked to Buff's agents. Doesnt even have an idea what Buff wants. If you've made the decision to part ways, then part ways already.

How do you figure he made that deal in a week? He wanted to trade Kane for more than 2 years.

The Jets better quell the Hamonic trade talks before this team hits the dumpster...And anyone thinking that this isn't having a negative effect on the team is kidding themselves...IF you are a Jets player and know that might be moved in a trade...well that is unsettling as it gets ...We know something is going on behind the scenes and so do the players...So my advice to the team is either poop or get off the pot before this season becomes a nightmare..I thought we had better management than what is being displayed at the moment. Just bull$hit.

Thats a good point. I dont want to be critical of Chevy because I think he's done a generally good job. But he seems to let things drag out and perhaps the feeling from management is "the players are millionaire professionals and they can self-motivate and they can handle their jobs" but the reality is, they are still human.

There isnt a single person alive who thinks its a good idea for Ladd's contract situation to drag on. And while you cant rush a trade like Hamonic, it could certainly hang over player's heads. I believe it was Wheeler who commented about contract talks dragging that as a player you want to know you're wanted and that your contribution is appreciated.

Chevy made a blockbuster deal in, what, a week? Because he had to. And yeah because he had a willing partner. But man...letting this drag on. Maybe it's ownership's vision...that its perfectly fine for players to walk if they wont accept our terms and we replace them with others. But that HAS to have an impact on your players.

What is Chevy's end game here? Hasnt even talked to Buff's agents. Doesnt even have an idea what Buff wants. If you've made the decision to part ways, then part ways already.

How do you figure he made that deal in a week? He wanted to trade Kane for more than 2 years.

I could be wrong and feel free to correct me, but Kane asked for a trade for three years (or whatever it was) and wasnt traded.  The incident with Buff happened on Feb 3rd and he was traded on Feb 11th.  So I suppose the Jets had been putting together that deal with the Sabres for two years but it sure seemed more likely that Chevy's hands were forced and he made a deal pretty damn fast.  And a good deal at that.

I'm sure Chevy had multiple offers on Kane over the years and decided to only move once he was forced to.

I'm sure he has a stack of deals for Byfuglien as well and is just sitting on them for now.

He mentioned at the 2014 draft that he had "ownership level" offers for someone.  But that it didnt end up coming to fruition.

Scheif. 8 goals. 5 assists. He's doing his part but the lack of assists is telling me his linemates really aren't. Perreault has 2 goals all year.

Every team has one or 2 rookies on it... Chicago. St Louis. They both do. Isn't an issue there.

The issue is Maurice would rather play goons over skilled forwards. Buff leads the team in Ice time... also in penalties. Ladd is 2nd in both categories. Vets get away with things. Why does Ladd get more ice than little and Wheeler. That's poor coaching. Ladd isn't playing good. Apparently has a 6 x 6 offer on the table from the Jets. 6 million a year for Ladd seems outrageous the way he's been playing.

People can pretend the issues are the 2 rookies in copp and Ehlers... BTW copp has 2 minutes in penalties and Ehlers has 6. But.... it's not. It's the vets outside of little and Wheeler who are really struggling. 8 goals 5 assists for Scheif playing with a guy who has 2 goals and a guy who had 3... put ehlers with Scheif again. Move Ladd down to the third line. Stafford up with little and wheeler.

But Maurice won't do that because he doesn't hold the vets accountable. Never has.

Oh and the goaltending and D play.... certainly don't help at all. .906 save percentage for both hutch and Pav. Well below NHL average. Time to start Helle next game. Hutch had his chance the last 2 and let the team down. Not convinced helle starts next game tho.... Maurice will probably play the struggling "vet" instead

Scheif. 8 goals. 5 assists. He's doing his part but the lack of assists is telling me his linemates really aren't. Perreault has 2 goals all year.

Every team has one or 2 rookies on it... Chicago. St Louis. They both do. Isn't an issue there.

The issue is Maurice would rather play goons over skilled forwards. Buff leads the team in Ice time... also in penalties. Ladd is 2nd in both categories. Vets get away with things. Why does Ladd get more ice than little and Wheeler. That's poor coaching. Ladd isn't playing good. Apparently has a 6 x 6 offer on the table from the Jets. 6 million a year for Ladd seems outrageous the way he's been playing.

People can pretend the issues are the 2 rookies in copp and Ehlers... BTW copp has 2 minutes in penalties and Ehlers has 6. But.... it's not. It's the vets outside of little and Wheeler who are really struggling. 8 goals 5 assists for Scheif playing with a guy who has 2 goals and a guy who had 3... put ehlers with Scheif again. Move Ladd down to the third line. Stafford up with little and wheeler.

But Maurice won't do that because he doesn't hold the vets accountable. Never has.

Lol. Same old story with you. The young guys aren't playing well because of Maurice, the veterans, etc. Anything to avoid placing the blame on the actual players themselves.

Buff leads the team in Ice time and penalty minutes. Ladd is second in both categories. Our pp and pk are a joke. If this was the bombers... people would be demanding a firing. We lead the league in penalty minutes. If this was the bombers people would be going on once again about the coaching. Where's the accountability really. Why do buff and Ladd get rewarded with more minutes than guys who aren't taking penalties ??

It's the vets who are really struggling and the coaching whether ppl want to admit it or not... it's not good.

If there is a 6X6 offer on the table for Ladd, it might come down to the deadline when Chevy tells Ladd take it or get traded...and then Ladd's agent has to look at his play this year and wonder how much it lowered the market.  There is a sense UFA's are not going to get the big offers of yesteryear.  Its one thing if Ladd knows for sure he will have a pick of at least ten teams for more money.  But if even it's 2-3 teams for more money, it means he has to cross his fingers he wants to play in one of those cities.  If he likes Winnipeg, if his family likes Winnipeg, then maybe he decides one in the hand is worth two in the bush.

As for Buff, Chevy either thinks it will be the easiest negotiation of all time or the Jets have decided to move him at some point in the season.

Buff leads the team in Ice time and penalty minutes. Ladd is second in both categories. Our pp and pk are a joke. If this was the bombers... people would be demanding a firing. We lead the league in penalty minutes. If this was the bombers people would be going on once again about the coaching. Where's the accountability really. Why do buff and Ladd get rewarded with more minutes than guys who aren't taking penalties ??

It's the vets who are really struggling and the coaching whether ppl want to admit it or not... it's not good.

I agree about coaching.  But Maurice isnt going anywhere.  So its sort of a moot point. 

He favors vets over rookies... As does every other coach in the NHL.

You suggest swapping Stafford and Ladd? What exactly has Stafford done so well to deserve first line minutes? Other than not complaining about being saddled with dead weight on the third line.

What's Ladd done to deserve to get the 2nd most minutes on the team. It's being accountable for your actions. Buff and Ladd need to be treated like everyone else if they mess up and their penalty minutes vs ice time minutes says they aren't. Why do the 2 guys who take the most penalties get the most ice time? If they don't like it... send them packing.

What's Ladd done to deserve to get the 2nd most minutes on the team. It's being accountable for your actions. Buff and Ladd need to be treated like everyone else if they mess up and their penalty minutes vs ice time minutes says they aren't. Why do the 2 guys who take the most penalties get the most ice time? If they don't like it... send them packing.

Yeah let's get rid of Buff and Ladd and promote who? Chiarot and Armia? Omg I can't wait, we will win SO MANY games.

Yeah let's get rid of Buff and Ladd and promote who? Chiarot and Armia? Omg I can't wait, we will win SO MANY games.

If you subscribe to letting them walk for nothing, that's the potential outcome.  But you dont trade them for nothing.  And you also free up a lot of money to be active in the off-season.  Yes, trading them means, in all likelyhood, we tank this year.  I'd rather get a #1 pick then a #14 pick.  But Chevy has made a decision to let this go on and it gets to a point where even if they want to stay here, if it's March, why not wait four months....

This is exactly what happened with Frolik.  Jets didnt want to lock in a 4 year deal during his RFA period, gambled and lost.  There is no way Chevy can let Ladd and Buff go beyond the deadline without a contract and remain Jets.  That's just remarkably ludicrous to even consider.

Tough to trade an injured Ladd...and he's injured right? We could do it if Buffalo was going for another #1 pick :P

I'm for sitting Trouba down a game. Chiarot still injured?

As for some of the d-man going so far into the oppositions zone so much I don't mind that as it's usually Buff or Myers doing it. They are the 2 most offensive D-guys we have and they have the speed to circle around like that and a forward usually covers for them anyways.

...I have a feeling that Buff is the Jet being talked about in the trade for Hamonic...Islanders want more...a lot more for the young talented kid from St. Malo ...Hamonic would likely be a Jet for life (I said likely) and that is a real bonus for us and Chevy...Tough to let that kind of deal go BUT if it means getting this team back on track then make a decision...Either make the deal (if possible) or walk...Letting this drag on is taking it's toll...I luv Buff and I know the players and fans alike are not going to like seeing him leave....BUT something has to shake loose soon..Maybe the Islanders asking price is just too high and we keep bargaining...Rumour is there might be a third team player for Hamonics services or 4th...we don't know  In any case I'd like to see us make a decision soon...This is not helping the franchise..Glad it's Chevys job and not mine

Buff for Hamonic makes the Jets a better defensive team as that is his strength.  It makes us less offensive minded from the back-end.  But perhaps a strong defensive minded leader like Hamonic allows for Myers to evolve into the complete D we want him to be and perhaps it matures Trouba's game a bit.  A lot to ask, I know.

Losing Buff would suck in that he's such a unique player.  But if the Jets were a better, more complete team, we wouldnt rely so heavily on Buff's ability to be a one man show.  Perhaps it turns into a blockbuster with Ladd going too (if the Isles think they have a shot at the cup this season, he'd be a tremendous addition for them).

If anyone thought the jets were playoff contenders lol. Making the playoffs once in 5 years or so don't make then playoff contenders. This team is a ways away still. Few holes.

Goaltending. LHD and LW are the big ones.

Not bad tho for 5 years of drafting and developing. When Cormier and Klingberg were your top 2 prospects when you got here and 4 5 years later aren't in the top 30... you've done good.

Lowered expectations. Figured one step back this year just never expected the reason to be lack of good play from Ladd Perreault and the D. Goaltending was bound to go back to normal. It has. We have less than average goalies.

If anyone thought the jets were playoff contenders lol. Making the playoffs once in 5 years or so don't make then playoff contenders. This team is a ways away still. Few holes.

Goaltending. LHD and LW are the big ones.

Not bad tho for 5 years of drafting and developing. When Cormier and Klingberg were your top 2 prospects when you got here and 4 5 years later aren't in the top 30... you've done good.

Lowered expectations. Figured one step back this year just never expected the reason to be lack of good play from Ladd Perreault and the D. Goaltending was bound to go back to normal. It has. We have less than average goalies.

I agree.  I said it all over the board that they could easily be taking a step back this yeah and you're right, expected the veterans to be a lot better and expected Lowry and Trouba to be better too.